Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

Default Weight training-little cardio

I have tried a million things to get cardio in. And I know the importance. I so badly want to run but I get so discouraged so quickly. I do walk quite a bit which I know helps. I've fairly steadily lost weight with little exercise, other than weight training. Until I lose another say, 20lbs, can I continue my calorie restriction, keep walking and do weight training? Will that be enough ? I'm going to up my walking sped gradually, but I guess the reason I'm asking is be aide I've read (and logged) that walking doesn't burn many calories. I do sweat and can feel my heart rate elevate after a long brisk walk.

I feel so lazy and 'ungrateful' that I could just force myself to run or go like mad on a stationary bike, and I don't.

I feel like I should invest in an actual bike.

Sorry this was more of a rant apparently. Sighh
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

What about an elliptical? There's loads of cardio machines at the gym you could use. I know there are some that believe you don't need te cardio as much, but I enjoy it, and enjoy working my heart, making it stronger, that's an important muscle!

Here's a good article http://www.mybwmc.org/strengthen-you...ardio-exercise
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I'd be interested in opinions on this as well. As a big walker and new weight lifter, but not "yet" a runner!

Last edited by IanG; 04-27-2013 at 10:04 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

You don't actually need to do cardio. Resistance training done at a pace that gets your heart rate up is perfectly adequate (I know I'm panting after my third set of squats).
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 235/209/175

Height: 5'8"

If what you're doing is working and you're enjoying it, I'd stick with it. I've found that when I say, "I HAVE to do intense cardio," I start to feel resistant and dread it. But when I do things I enjoy and have fun with, I move naturally, usually walking 5-7 miles a day.

That said, you might find that more intense cardio helps you bust through a plateau, if one comes. My weight had been pretty stagnant for a couple months until last week when I started doing really intense intervals. (30 seconds running at the fastest pace possible and 90 seconds recovering at a slow walk for about 20 minutes.) It worked, it's quick, and I actually have fun doing it.

Bottom line, in my opinion: do things you like and just keep moving.
angelarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #6  
Susan

S/C/G: 200/170/130

Height: 5' 5"

I agree with angelarm. I find if I have to force myself to do something, it doesn't last long. I will always find some excuse not to do it after a day or so...which doesn't burn too many calories! But, if I enjoy doing something, I stick with it, which in the long run gets me further.

As for cardio, I'm not a fan of running, but I do a 3km brisk walk at least once a day. I also add cardio to my workouts...doing things like jumping jacks or "fake" skipping (go through skipping motions but with no rope), both as a warm-up and in between my weight-lifting exercises.

So, if you enjoy what you're currently doing and it's working, I'd stick with it. Re-think if and when you start to see no progress.
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:53 AM   #7  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I'm a big believer in movement and moving your body through physical space, so yes - keep up the walking. Walking is great exercise and the most natural and necessary movement for humans.

For me weight training is not enough to create functional fitness - because I enjoy walking and going and having a decent amount of cardio endurance. I also enjoy playing rugby and so I need to be able to sprint (ha, ha, the funny slow prop sprint) and run and keep going - AND I need to be STRONG.

But the most important thing is to do something you enjoy and stick with. As you gain confidence you may decide you want to run...you may never be a runner. It doesn't matter. It REALLY doesn't matter. Running is not the only exercise.

I also had this mental block about running and found the Couch to 5K programme to be really helpful. So if you want to do it, I'd definitely suggest that.

Don't worry about how many calories you're burning through walking. Although it's true that exercise is a weight loss accelerant - move your body because it's enjoyable and it makes you healthy and happy.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #8  

I agree with those who advised you to do what you know you'll stick with. If you really hate the idea of cardio, don't do it. In my view, when we put too many obstacles in our way or strive for perfection in our weight loss/getting healthier attempts, that's when it becomes "too much" and we give up.

With that said, though, you may want to try a couple of things to see if they'll work out for you: I tend to LOVE cardio and hate weight training, and I've tried several times to get into a routine of weight training, but I would never stick with it until I started doing group fitness. Taking classes that involve resistance exercises are perfect for me because they inject the fun / challenge I get w/ cardio into weight lifting. So, you might want to check to see if there are any classes in your area that are cardio-based (e.g., spinning, Zumba---I don't like Zumba but many people do). Also, you could do small doses of cardio ---e.g., 5-10 minutes of jogging before and after your weight lifting workout would be less painful than the thought of 20-30 minutes of straight cardio.

Good luck!

Last edited by lin43; 04-28-2013 at 07:08 AM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 221/186/160

Height: 5'7''

I think it would be enough, as long as you're pushing yourself to keep your heart rate in the right zone when you're walking- increasing the incline, increasing your speed, lengthening your workout time etc...
That's how I started before I tried running, I thought I was too heavy to run, so I did some vigorous walking for about a month to to get some endurance, it really helped. I still walk on the days I don't run.

The weight training is great, keep both up and watch your diet and the weight will come off.
domesticbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

Thanks all.

I've decided I'm going to buy a bike (used, as I'm cheap haha) and go from there. I remember loving biking when I was a kid and teenager. I live in a very rural area, lots of back roads, little traffic. The nearest town is almost a 10 minute drive. There's a specific path for biking and walking that takes a more scenic route. Might try that out.

Hopefully the feeling of biking will be the same, fun feeling. Not to mention, you see A LOT more on a bike. I'm going to just have to discipline myself not to 'coast' very often.

My biggest "area of concern" is definitely my thighs. So this will help with strength and cardio. Pretty darn excited1
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote