Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #31  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

Got a 10 k in this morn was nice to get out been doing chores...
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #32  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

Half Marathon this past Sunday - my third this year...terrible final time for me 2 hrs, 6 min - 10 min worst than 3 weeks ago but it was NOT easy. My foot was still KILLING me and I think I have some lingering sickness still as my body was just NOT feeling good, chest hurt, legs hurt - my hands started clenching! I officially need a break. No runs longer than a 10k for the next month for me. Gotta get back on track here but I'm glad I finished the race.
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

LM - Sounds like your body is definitely telling you that you need a break!!

I did a 6 mile run at lunch and decided to give it a shot without my IT Band Strap and..... NO PAIN!!! Woo hoo!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #34  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

Cherry - I bought the IT band strap for my hubby as he suffers from IT band issues as well - he currently just uses the foam roller. I hope it helps him!

Ran 5 miles over the hilly 59th Street bridge & back near my office this week. Good run but windy!

How is everyone? Deva - any pup updates?
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #35  
waisting away

S/C/G: Too Much/Getting There/Healthy

Height: 5' 8"

Is this a usual monthly thread? I just started getting more serious about running and I would love to have some others to talk to. When I was in High School (8 yrs ago), I was pretty good at running. I was on the lacrosse team and I had to run an 8 min mile to make the team each year. Since then, I got out of shape and haven't been able to run very well. When I decided I wanted to get back in shape I started playing college level rugby and that did a lot for me... until I broke my ankle. It was a serious break that still bothers me. I have been getting back in shape and now that I weigh less and am more fit, I find that I can run better than I had expected. Until recently, the furthest I had run straight since I broke my ankle was 3/4 mi. I have been going on little jogs recently - short sprints followed by walking intervals. On Monday, I slowed down a lot and found that I ran A LOT further. I made it 2 mi without walking (not including a warm up and cool down). Yesterday I ran 2.25 mi. I am getting excited about running. I want to get better. The Princess Half Marathon has always been on my bucket list. Maybe I will be able to do it next year.

I'd love some friend to share my running victories with and ask questions.
gatorgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #36  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

Hi guys sure miss running this running only on weekend sucks BUT upside been doing 11/2 hrs aday of asst DVDs weights abs couple days and kickboxing or hit and abs the other...results have a rockin body have lost 24 lbs sinced Dec.27 Hoo ha!!!!
As for my BOY he has sprained his front leg,he had been released for 5 to 10 min walks. Aday after just a couple he started limping on the front leg!!!!!So he is now on an anti inflamatory and rest except for potty again. And he has gained like 8 lbs! So now he is on a diet,we were having to spoon feed him anything would could to get all the pills down 3 times aday Yikes!
IA3898:sounds like a good plan on doing only 10ks and recuperating...I have a friend that is coach and 50 k type runner..she mentioned once about her body clenching up in the run hands legs has something to do with de-hydration.

Cherry as always you are a rockstar at the running,not to mention everything else.

Any one out there Cherry writes a fantastic blog check it out!

Gator girl: welcome ,slow and easy speed will come back! Pace it take it easy on the ankle so you get it strong. Life is not a race you have time.....I am 60 and started running 1 1/2 yrs ago and ran A1/2 on Halloween this last year.YOU will do it!
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #37  
waisting away

S/C/G: Too Much/Getting There/Healthy

Height: 5' 8"

I have been running every other day for a little while now and frequently think at the end of my run "did I push myself enough? I probably could have run further." Today I decided I would test that theory and tried for what I thought was impossible - run a whole 5k. I did it. It took 40 min. I know there were times I could probably walk faster than I was running, but I did it. I had to keep reminding myself that my mind will give out before my legs do and to push through the doubt because by legs weren't burning. The last 3/4 to 1/2 mi were tough but I am so proud. I don't have questions today that I pushed myself. I won't aim to push myself as hard all the time, but at least once a week to see what I am capable of. I am proud today. And for possibly the first time in my life I am thinking that I may be a runner. I will never be fast and I don't care to be, but this feeling is good.
gatorgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #38  
love machine!

S/C/G: 167/130.2/120

Height: 5'6"

I only got in 2 miles today, but yesterday did just under 6 miles! Woo!
I have a question though... I'm not a 'trained' runner, but I know what a good stride looks like. Im keeping my chest up and using my arms properly... but.... my hips hurt from the impact. It's getting better actually as I continue to run more often, so I was thinking it might just be that whatever muscles support that area were not used to it? Still, I have to wonder if I'm doing something wrong. I have good running shoes (original price 100$, I paid 30--woohoo!), and I've been trying to experiment around with tiny adjustments... Nothing seems to help. It actually happens when I walk as well-- I start feeling it around mile 5 at a normal pace (not power walking or anything....) So yes. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated! Happy running!
om namah shivaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

It sounds like you might be a heel striker! Where does you foot hit?
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #40  
love machine!

S/C/G: 167/130.2/120

Height: 5'6"

No, not a heel striker. I thoguht about it and asked my boyfriend (he's super athletic) and he said that I should lean forward a little more than I was. I've been trying to institute this and I think ti's taken some impact pressure off my hips, but I find myself forgetting then remembering, forgetting, remembering....

I ran 6.65 miles yesterday (my furthest that I know of!!) and I was totally pooped out. Today is going to be a lighter day. Do you all find that you gain a lb or two after a big long run? I was 149 yesterday and am 151 today. I'm not freaking out because I know I've been sticking to the eating plan and exercising as much if not MORE than I plan, but still..... Is the water weight thing right? Or is it just BS? Thanks!
om namah shivaya is offline   Reply With Quote