Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 219/202.6/160

Height: 5'10"

Default Start a new work out plan and then get sick. What do you do?

I have tried many times over the years to start working out and get in shape, but whenever I start to work out after never working out I always get sick. I believe this has to do with working out and losing weight affecting the immune system in the beginning. Has anyone else gone through this? Whenever I encounter it I end up giving up my work out plan because I feel so crappy and then never get back into it. How do you motivate yourself to push through the cold? Do you do workouts that arent as strenuous? I can't even imagine doing a hard cardio work out with a sore throat and a cough every 10 seconds.

~2 weeks into my work out plan and I have myself a cold... right on schedule.
aeliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #2  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I find working out when I'm sick counter productive, especially if I have respiratory symptoms like a cough and chest congestion... I take a few days to rest and feel better than when I'm feeling up for it I like to get out and at least go for a walk and get some fresh air which gets me motivated again...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 219/202.6/160

Height: 5'10"

I was considering going for a walk, but it's so bitter cold and dry where I am that it causes me to cough more. Oh well, hopefully a little break doesn't impact my weight loss too much.
aeliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #4  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

When I can't get out and I'm not feeling up to anything too strenuous... I'll do some yoga, some stretching, maybe a few crunches and push-ups (if I'm feeling a bit more motivated...lol...) for 15 or 20 minutes and this way I feel like I've gotten a little bit of "exercise" in...

I know that physically it probably isn't doing a whole lot, but it definitely makes a difference for me psychologically to keep me on the right track...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #5  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Yeah, that's tough. You're trying so hard to start new habits and then this happens. I would say, 1. Take care of yourself and get some rest when you are sick (don't exercise). 2. Being sick isn't an excuse to eat a bunch of off plan comfort foods. Keep the proper nutrition going. Your body needs it more now than ever. 3. GET BACK TO EXERCISE WHEN YOU FEEL BETTER! I put that in caps because that's the part that always seems to get me. A week on the couch and then bammo - I'm completely off plan again.

I think keeping the plan going though, with your eating will help. Then, when you start back up with exercise, give yourself a few workouts that are a little milder. Don't get discouraged if you can't just immediately jump into your previous level.

Reminder - this is a lifestyle, not a temporary thing. We get sick. It happens. Use it as a way to get sick like your new thinner self would and not like your old self.

I hope you feel better soon!!
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:05 AM   #6  
seeking balance

S/C/G: 186/124/120

Height: 5'3"

Sorry that you're sick. I've found working out is keeping me more healthy though; since I started exercising last spring, I haven't really gotten sick! Three kids live in my house and colds go through them regularly, but I've only had a slight sore throat a couple of times, very slight runny nose once or twice. I just keep on doing workout routines and walking/jogging, and always feel better after the exercise. You have to listen to your own body, though, and do what you can when you can. Take care and hope you feel better quickly.
Cattails is offline   Reply With Quote