Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 166/145/115

Height: 5'4

Default Can someone help me please? First time going to the gym...

So while Planet Fitness had their $10/month promotion, I signed up for it with my friend. I'm still looking to lose around 25 pounds. But what machines should I use at the gym? I want muscles and my biggest problem area are my arms. But I need to work my whole body also since I'm chubby everywhere, I just hate my arms the most!! I want to start lifting as well. I wanna feel strong!

Any advice?? I don't know many machines except for like the treadmill or the bike thingy.. yeah.. I need help lol
Bloopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:13 AM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

hope someone from the weight lifting crowd joins in...i dont have advice on that....i stick to the treadmill and i love running on the treadmill...way better on my knees and asthma than trying to run outside
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:46 AM   #3  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Does Planet Fitness have free weights? If so, use those over machines for weight training. The plus side with free weights is that most people stick to the machines so there probably won't be too many people over there.

DON'T be afraid to ask for help! I actually found that a lot of people don't mind giving advice/helping out if you ask. I'm usually the only chick in the weight training area of my gym and the guys are very nice to me. Two of them even set up the squat rack for me when they were done...making sure to put it nice and low since they were at least a foot taller than me. Apparently they also knew what weight I usually started at and set it up that way too! I was so grateful!

Also nerdfitness should start paying me , but I really do like their site. They have videos of exercises and show what exercises you can do: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/top-posts/

Deadlifts and squats are great, deadlifts work your entire body, squats give you a booty.

If you want to gain STRENGTH then you should lift heavy for a few reps. It seems like it won't do much, but trust me, it's powerful
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 166/145/115

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
Does Planet Fitness have free weights? If so, use those over machines for weight training. The plus side with free weights is that most people stick to the machines so there probably won't be too many people over there.

DON'T be afraid to ask for help! I actually found that a lot of people don't mind giving advice/helping out if you ask. I'm usually the only chick in the weight training area of my gym and the guys are very nice to me. Two of them even set up the squat rack for me when they were done...making sure to put it nice and low since they were at least a foot taller than me. Apparently they also knew what weight I usually started at and set it up that way too! I was so grateful!

Also nerdfitness should start paying me , but I really do like their site. They have videos of exercises and show what exercises you can do: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/top-posts/

Deadlifts and squats are great, deadlifts work your entire body, squats give you a booty.

If you want to gain STRENGTH then you should lift heavy for a few reps. It seems like it won't do much, but trust me, it's powerful
Thanks!! That website is super helpful. You should be featured on it!
Bloopers is offline   Reply With Quote