Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #1  
Keeping Steady

S/C/G: 231/169/169 lb (104/77/77 kg)

Height: 6' 0" (1.82 m)

Default Injured

I have hurt my shoulder a bit, and the doctor wants me to avoid putting too much weight on my right shoulder, like no more than ten pounds or so. The injury itself isn't a a big deal, but I think it's bad news for my exercise program, which consists mostly of yoga and a bit of weight lifting. I don't know how long I'll have to treat my shoulder this way keep things up, and I guess I'm more than a little upset that I will have to change the routine I've gotten used to. Also, I'm afraid that if I'll just use this as an excuse to stop working out.

Has anyone else been in this situation? How did you get through it? Did you come to like your new exercises? Did you feel like a noob again while you were learning them?

Last edited by ControlW; 08-18-2012 at 08:58 PM.
ControlW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

I've had shoulder injury, I did lots of lower body exercises. My physio therapist had said no overhead presses, pull downs etc... He had also given me some specific exercises to do to help the area injured. Did you go see a phiso therapist? They are well worth the extra $$... Unfortunately it did take a few months to heal... Last November I hurt my elbow and it is just starting to feel 100%. Injuries of this sort take a long time to heal, listen to your doctor and see a physio therapist if you can...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

I have impingement in both of my shoulders due to an anatomical issue. Unfortunately, it took me many different episodes of injuries to finally admit it and adjust my workouts. No overhead presses, no lateral movements, no pushups. Many shoulder exercises are just out of the question, as well as some back and chest exercises. While I was healing from my last injuries, I just concentrated on my core and legs, and did cardio and stretching. I hated it, because I felt so unbalanced, as I could not work my back, chest or arms in any way. But I healed, and I started working those things back in. And now I am scared to hurt myself again, so I am more cautious. But you just have to keep doing something, or you will just revert back to a jiggly, out of shape mess when you finally get back to doing what you are used to. I never realized how bad a shoulder injury could suck until I couldn't move either one of my arms. And if you are provided with exercises to retrain the shoulder's small muscles, do them. They will help you to strengthen the small guys to support the big guys when you get back to it. Just don't give up! You can find an exercise that you love while you are healing.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #4  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandis View Post
But I healed, and I started working those things back in. And now I am scared to hurt myself again, so I am more cautious. But you just have to keep doing something, or you will just revert back to a jiggly, out of shape mess when you finally get back to doing what you are used to. I never realized how bad a shoulder injury could suck until I couldn't move either one of my arms. And if you are provided with exercises to retrain the shoulder's small muscles, do them. They will help you to strengthen the small guys to support the big guys when you get back to it. Just don't give up! You can find an exercise that you love while you are healing.
I wish I had had your mindset 18 months ago when I tore my rotator cuff. They no longer rush into surgery for that, so it's been a long ordeal and I let it sideline me and derail my weightloss. :-( I don't have good range of motion, cannot lift overhead and back without pain and if I make any sudden movements it's so painful. Like you, I am very cautious. But! I have recentlydiscovered TRX and I can do some shoulder exercises with it! Even modified pushups! I am excited to get back into the gym and rid myself of this mindset that makes excuses.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote