Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-08-2012, 07:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 257/160/135

Height: 5'5

Default How much cardio/weights when trying to lose a lot of weight?

Basically I am trying to lose about 100 lbs and trying to figure out what a good balance of cardio and weights are.

Currently I do about 1:30-2 hours of cardio a day. Was thinking of adding 30 mins of cardio a day so 2 hour workouts total

What do you all think?

And no I don't think I am working out too much, the people on the biggest loser do way more activity than this and I have a lot of weight to lose and hope to lose this within 1-3 years so I am realistic.
BlackBarbieKiss125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

sounds like you've got a good plan that you believe in. Good luck!
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #3  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

fat loss is 100% diet... its about creating a large enough daily caloric deficit to initiate using stored fat as fuel...... there is no real reason to work out that much everyday..... unless you are training for something specific that requires that. The amount of calories you can burn working out for 2 hours PALE in comparison to what you burn the REST of the day, just existing... and actually, fat loss can be achieved *easily* through diet alone.
"you cant out exercise poor eating habits"..... DO you have a food plan you are following?? such as calorie counting, or weight watchers or something like that?

RE: your exercise plan..... that much gym time is fine, if it wont burn you out. but id add some weight training in there as well, to preserve your lean muscle mass as you diet down. 3X a week, full body would be plenty. Supplement with your cardio as you like. What type of cardio are you doing at the moment? And how long have you been exercising consistently? ID caution that the amount of exercise doesnt make you so hungry you blow your deficit

Good luck
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 257/160/135

Height: 5'5

Thank you SeaGirl, I believe in you too!

MKroyer, I do most elliptical. Or say 1 hour Zumba, 1 hour elliptical or 1 hour elliptical 30 mins treadmill or arm bicycle machine.

As far as diet goes I try to eat as little carbs as possible and under 1200 calories a day consisting of least amount of carbs.

I have been doing this for about 2 months now and I am down about 10 lbs. I agree that you can't out exercise a bad diet but last time I just dieted alone I lost 35 lbs the first year. Even if all this added work only adds 15 extra lbs lost to my this years total, it will have been worth it to me.
BlackBarbieKiss125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 267/225/150

Height: 5'2"

Congrats to you Barbie Kiss! Keep working out and most importantly, keep eating those green veggies and lean meat.

The way it has been explained to me is losing fat is diet. Healthy heart is exercise. =)
MiladyHealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #6  
Just watch me ...

I would take that 30 minutes that you want to add in cardio, and do strength training. You can alternate upper, lower, and abs, take off a day, and repeat for the next 3 days. Cardio burns calories, but you need to build muscle to keep your metabolism going even when at rest.

Also, part of training is taking rest days, your body needs to recover and build - so schedule a day (or 2) off every week.

Good luck
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote