Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-23-2011, 09:03 AM   #1  
Writing my success story

Default Too Big to Exercise?

I know that's not really true but I'm currently at my heaviest (260) and I need to start regularly exercising. I walk on the treadmill (max 3.8 mph) but I don't think it's doing anything. I'm also not being consistent with it. I try to do aerobic DVDs (the firm, Jillian Michaels, etc) but my joints scream. I tried to start the couch to 5k plan but again, my joints can't take it. I think I'm too heavy to do those exercises. I need to find something that will help me get this weight off! What do you guys suggest? Elliptical? Unfortunately I can't swim or else that would be a great alternative. I appreciate your suggestions!
allabouttheskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #2  
amber

S/C/G: 320/365/220

Height: 5'5"

I was around 240 when I started Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. My joints screamed so I modified everything at the start. Even jumping jacks I kinda just bounced. All I can say is modify, modify, modify. Jillian Michaels and dropping all soda were my biggest life changers. But anything you enjoy, will stick to- do it. And modify whatever you want as much as you want!

Oh also, Zumba is amazing. I used you tube videos- any song I like I typed in songname zumba and I'd go through and pick the dances and instructors I liked. A lot of instructors post their class videos. If you go to youtube and type in "workout plox playlist" in the search that's the playlist I made and used everyday for a couple of months. You can check it out and maybe try it. I like doing it at home, when I want for as long as I want and it still felt like a class. Though yu gotta have room to do it lol. And again MODIFY! Good luck!

Last edited by ButterCup85; 12-23-2011 at 09:09 AM.
ButterCup85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

You say you don't think it's doing anything. What results are you looking to achieve?

If it is simply calorie burn you are looking for, then walking is good, if you can walk on an incline that is even better. Elliptical is easier on joints for many people and gives you about the same burn as walking, depending how fast you go, of course.

You could always take swim lessons!
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I know you said you can't swim but even if you are waist deep it would be better on your joints and allow you to get some movement in. Also, don't forget that while exercise is absolutely important and I would say crucial, diet is FAR more important.

What about bicycling? There are also table top bicycle to help you with your arms. Walking is absolutely incredible and can be done for free and at your own speed. There are walking DVD's by Leslie Samsone that are wonderful.

So many options! Also, ask yourself. What do you enjoy? Do you like hiking? Do you like mall walking? Do you like serving food to the homeless? Would you like to help others in your community? All of these things burn calories! Also, a wonderful exercise is house cleaning! One poster here (Lori 259) once posted a list of chores and how many calories each one burned. Guess what? She has gone from almost 300 pounds to 125!!!!!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

I started at above 280. I used Leslie Sansone, Walk Away The Pounds. The impact is very low and the program really works. It is also customizable and you can choose how many miles you walk.

I don't like to do a lot of jumping. It's hard on my knee and I have a rewired ankle and hip bone (literally, from childhood accidents). Leslie was just right for me and I've gone from an almost 24W to a 14W (almost regular 16).
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #6  
Go Blue!

S/C/G: 286.8/180.6/145

When I started exercising regularly I was around 290. I started with 3x a week of activity. Usually it was either water aerobics (we had someone in the class that couldn't swim and just stayed in the shallow end) or walking on the treadmill - I would do intervals like c25k but instead of running I would just crank up the incline and/or speed to a faster walk. Sometimes I would also do zumba, spin, or the elliptical. When I started running I used a plan on sparkpeople's site that was a little more moderate than c25k. You just have to work around what you can do, what your limitations are.

I didn't start using it til later but I think the rowing machine is a great full body workout that is easy on the joints. Even just throwing in 5 or 10 minutes with whatever else you are doing is good. Weather permitting it's nice to get outside and walk, hike, whatever as well.

Also strength training, if you have a gym membership you can see if they offer giving you a tour around the equipment and making some suggestions, otherwise easy enough to search the forums for starting ideas and search youtube videos for proper form.

And obviously as you mentioned, consistency. Since late-Feb or so the only time I didn't go was from 2 oral surgeries, on the surgeon's orders to take a week off each time. Otherwise I'm there regularly and just gradually built up. I've had the occasional injury and had to change what I'm doing, but kept doing something, first the 3x a week, these days usually 6x a week so I have 1 rest day. Now I can get on a treadmill and run for a few miles (granted I am not the fastest runner ) before I need to take a 60 sec walking break. It just takes time and patience.

I'm not sure if you mean exercise isn't doing anything as far as weight loss goes, or you just aren't feeling any improvements. If it's weight loss though, chances are it's something with the diet that needs to be tweaked!
Somni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

When I started, I was in bed more often than I was out of it, with a lot of health problems, including COPD (so I would get out of breath just getting dressed). Luckily with just a little weight loss and getting rid of NSAIDs (which I turned out to be allergic to), most of my lung issues are in remission (I have a rescue inhaler for my asthma, but am otherwise off all asthma medications and have only had to use the inhaler once every couple months).

When I started "exercise" was out of the question, so I clipped a $4 Walmart step-counting pedometer onto my shoes (because I didn't have to remember to keep track of the pedometer - I just had to wear the same shoes every day). Every morning, I would write down the previous day's step count, and my goal was to beat the previous day's step count - even if by only a few steps. At first, I would forget - so when I would remember I would write that step count down, divide it by the number of days since I last zeroed out the pedometer and would write this down for those days as the daily average.

This way, I was able to see progress, and I started looking for ways to add steps each day - even if only to get up and walk around a bit during commercials.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 209/178.8/150

Height: 5'4''

The biggest problem I see with your initial question is that you aren't being consistent with it.

Research has shown that as little as 30 minutes of walking daily can make HUGE improvements to your health. Do what you are comfortable with for now. If its walking, walk. If its aerobics, do a DVD or class (PS. I teach Zumba and I've had ladies that weigh 260+ take my classes and be successful in them). Do something that you like.

Here is my favorite video to use when convincing people to do just 30 mintutes of activity a day...that means you make it a regular, consistent activity (watch the whole thing...the ending is my favorite)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo
Razorbackbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #9  

Have you ever watched the Biggest Loser - people who weigh nearly 500 pounds work through it and do all kinds of exercise. You can certainly do weight machines, toner bands, free weights and not stress your joints. Treadmill is good for cardio but weights are necessary for toning and weight loss.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #10  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

I was 240 when I started. So your only 20lbs more. I swear to you I couldn't even do 1 jumping jack. Seriously. I couldn't even jump, or bend down to touch my toes. I hurt, I have a heal spur and I use to have a huge bump on my left foot by my ankle cause my body was compensating for the weight on my feet! That bump is now gone. I started with the Wii fitness coach. Low impact, nothing strenuous and took my water breaks and time to catch my breath if I needed it. And back at it. Did that for about 2 months then in August I started Turbo Jam videos. By the end of Sept I joined a gym. You have to find what works for you and be kind to yourself, do what you can. Rest when you feel like it. Don't kill youself. Bit by bit you will start to feel so much better! You can do it!
Consistency is key. I started doing it every other day only 3 days a week and gave myself days to rest until I WANTED to work out more. YES, if you start off and keep at it you will WANT to do it cause it really does feel so good!

Last edited by InsideMe; 12-23-2011 at 11:18 AM.
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #11  
Writing my success story

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCup85 View Post
I was around 240 when I started Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. My joints screamed so I modified everything at the start. Even jumping jacks I kinda just bounced. All I can say is modify, modify, modify. Jillian Michaels and dropping all soda were my biggest life changers. But anything you enjoy, will stick to- do it. And modify whatever you want as much as you want!

Oh also, Zumba is amazing. I used you tube videos- any song I like I typed in songname zumba and I'd go through and pick the dances and instructors I liked. A lot of instructors post their class videos. If you go to youtube and type in "workout plox playlist" in the search that's the playlist I made and used everyday for a couple of months. You can check it out and maybe try it. I like doing it at home, when I want for as long as I want and it still felt like a class. Though yu gotta have room to do it lol. And again MODIFY! Good luck!
I love Zumba. I did a class a couple times and thought about getting the DVDs but I already have so many workouts at home.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #12  
Writing my success story

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana77 View Post
You say you don't think it's doing anything. What results are you looking to achieve?

If it is simply calorie burn you are looking for, then walking is good, if you can walk on an incline that is even better. Elliptical is easier on joints for many people and gives you about the same burn as walking, depending how fast you go, of course.

You could always take swim lessons!
I need to drop this weight! I used to fluctuate between 160 and 180 and just walking at 4-4.5 mph would be enough for me to lose weight. But I developed PCOS so it seems like walking isn't enough. But I'm so much bigger that anything above 3.8mph and I'm so winded. So I end up do (what feels to me) not as intense of a workout on the treadmill.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #13  
Writing my success story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
I know you said you can't swim but even if you are waist deep it would be better on your joints and allow you to get some movement in. Also, don't forget that while exercise is absolutely important and I would say crucial, diet is FAR more important.

What about bicycling? There are also table top bicycle to help you with your arms. Walking is absolutely incredible and can be done for free and at your own speed. There are walking DVD's by Leslie Samsone that are wonderful.

So many options! Also, ask yourself. What do you enjoy? Do you like hiking? Do you like mall walking? Do you like serving food to the homeless? Would you like to help others in your community? All of these things burn calories! Also, a wonderful exercise is house cleaning! One poster here (Lori 259) once posted a list of chores and how many calories each one burned. Guess what? She has gone from almost 300 pounds to 125!!!!!

I have several WATP DVDs and tapes. Maybe I should start with those. All the other suggestions sound good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by free1 View Post
I started at above 280. I used Leslie Sansone, Walk Away The Pounds. The impact is very low and the program really works. It is also customizable and you can choose how many miles you walk.

I don't like to do a lot of jumping. It's hard on my knee and I have a rewired ankle and hip bone (literally, from childhood accidents). Leslie was just right for me and I've gone from an almost 24W to a 14W (almost regular 16).
Glad to know those WATP DVDs really work. I don't really break a sweat when I do them but I'm so out of shape that perhaps they are a good place to start.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #14  
Writing my success story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somni View Post
When I started exercising regularly I was around 290. I started with 3x a week of activity. Usually it was either water aerobics (we had someone in the class that couldn't swim and just stayed in the shallow end) or walking on the treadmill - I would do intervals like c25k but instead of running I would just crank up the incline and/or speed to a faster walk. Sometimes I would also do zumba, spin, or the elliptical. When I started running I used a plan on sparkpeople's site that was a little more moderate than c25k. You just have to work around what you can do, what your limitations are.

I didn't start using it til later but I think the rowing machine is a great full body workout that is easy on the joints. Even just throwing in 5 or 10 minutes with whatever else you are doing is good. Weather permitting it's nice to get outside and walk, hike, whatever as well.

Also strength training, if you have a gym membership you can see if they offer giving you a tour around the equipment and making some suggestions, otherwise easy enough to search the forums for starting ideas and search youtube videos for proper form.

And obviously as you mentioned, consistency. Since late-Feb or so the only time I didn't go was from 2 oral surgeries, on the surgeon's orders to take a week off each time. Otherwise I'm there regularly and just gradually built up. I've had the occasional injury and had to change what I'm doing, but kept doing something, first the 3x a week, these days usually 6x a week so I have 1 rest day. Now I can get on a treadmill and run for a few miles (granted I am not the fastest runner ) before I need to take a 60 sec walking break. It just takes time and patience.

I'm not sure if you mean exercise isn't doing anything as far as weight loss goes, or you just aren't feeling any improvements. If it's weight loss though, chances are it's something with the diet that needs to be tweaked!
Thanks for sharing. Consistency and diet are two major pieces of the puzzle. But good suggestions for low impact exercises.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:58 PM   #15  
Writing my success story

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
When I started, I was in bed more often than I was out of it, with a lot of health problems, including COPD (so I would get out of breath just getting dressed). Luckily with just a little weight loss and getting rid of NSAIDs (which I turned out to be allergic to), most of my lung issues are in remission (I have a rescue inhaler for my asthma, but am otherwise off all asthma medications and have only had to use the inhaler once every couple months).

When I started "exercise" was out of the question, so I clipped a $4 Walmart step-counting pedometer onto my shoes (because I didn't have to remember to keep track of the pedometer - I just had to wear the same shoes every day). Every morning, I would write down the previous day's step count, and my goal was to beat the previous day's step count - even if by only a few steps. At first, I would forget - so when I would remember I would write that step count down, divide it by the number of days since I last zeroed out the pedometer and would write this down for those days as the daily average.

This way, I was able to see progress, and I started looking for ways to add steps each day - even if only to get up and walk around a bit during commercials.
Glad you're feeling better! I have a pedometer somewhere. I like the idea of clipping it to my shoe--never thought of that before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbackbritt View Post
The biggest problem I see with your initial question is that you aren't being consistent with it.

Research has shown that as little as 30 minutes of walking daily can make HUGE improvements to your health. Do what you are comfortable with for now. If its walking, walk. If its aerobics, do a DVD or class (PS. I teach Zumba and I've had ladies that weigh 260+ take my classes and be successful in them). Do something that you like.

Here is my favorite video to use when convincing people to do just 30 mintutes of activity a day...that means you make it a regular, consistent activity (watch the whole thing...the ending is my favorite)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo
You're right--I need to be more consistent. I think I have this idea that I need to be doing something really intense to start losing weight but I think if I could just get moving again, I'd see even a little budge in the scale. I will check that video out!