frustrated - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 09:19 AM   #1  

Default frustrated

I'm getting so frustrated but not frustrated enough that I want to quit, just more determined but want to know if I'm doing somethng wrong.

For the past 5 weeks weeks I have been using a dumbbells only rountine I found at http://www.stumptuous.com/program.html which i do 4 times per week. I also am fortunate enough to live 7 blocks from my work so I power walk to and from work every day as well as my job involves running errands downtown (going to the bank and such) so I am able to get more power walking that way as well. I also follow a diet recommendation listed on that page which is mostly a low-carb one. I have one cheat a week on Sunday and my cheats usually aren't that bad.

So far I haven't lost one ounce of weight, I do notice a slight bit of definition in my upper abs though, but my lower pouch (below the belly button) isn't budging or my thighs. Biceps a little more firmer, triceps still a bit flappy.. but working on it.

I know the weight didn't go on overnight nor will it come off that way, but it would be nice to see some results to keep me encouraged.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Here are some suggestions:
Change your weight training to 3 days a week-like Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. You need to provide a full 48 hours between each strength training workout for your muscles to have time to recover. This will actually get you better results-because when you strength train with weights, you actually get tiny, tiny tears in the muscle tissue, and in takes 48 hours for that to heal and build up. When your muscles get these tiny tears it rebuilds stronger-so this is actually how you are building muscle. If you are doing it 4 times a week, your body is not having the chance at least on one of these days to do its healing/building-and your results can suffer-and you could possibly injure yourself.
How many calories are you eating on this low carb plan? I cannot do low carb-it is not for everyone. I do not lose on Atkins, etc. I have to eat less, and make healthy choices of what I do eat.
If you have a lot of weight to lose, you are getting more muscle and firming up, but you are not going to see a hard body until some extra pounds come off-so as you get smaller, those great results from weight training will really start to show. When you are heavier, it is most noticed in your biceps and shoulders-the rest will emerge when the weight comes off a bit more-if you are a pear-your rear will show the fruits of labour last, and if you are an apple-your abs will most likely be last to perfect.
It does take a long time-5 weeks is not near enough to see a total body transformation. You just need to stick with it and have patience-it will happen.
Aphil
Closed Thread