Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-30-2011, 09:18 AM   #1  
Phil1:6

S/C/G: 253(old)/220(new)/ticker/170

Height: 6'

Default Tough Mudder

Have any of you heard of this? I'm actually quite surprised I searched this topic & nothing came up!
Its a crazy obstacle course involving electric fences, running through fire & swimming through mud- it actually looks really fun!
The thing is- I am SO out of shape, very overweight & totally sucking at counting calories & exercising for the last 6 months really... but this seems like it could be really good motivation for me! The event isnt until mid January so I think I have plenty of time to train...
Have any of you heard of this & do any of you lovely ladies and or gents have any advice for me??

(ps no spell check on my work computer I apologize in advance!)
DaughteroftheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

My parents belong to a running club that sponsors a race call "Mudders and Grunters" It's 5 miles through wood trails, swamps, briers, and there is a waist-deep creek crossing -- in March in the northeast. No electric fences or fires, though. Seems like insurers might draw the line before that point. I've never done it, but I've helped out and it sure is fun to watch.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:35 PM   #3  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

I have done the Warrior Dash, which is similar with barbed wire fence and fire to jump over. Don't be too worried about the fire. In the pictures, they make it look like a raging fire, but it's actually just a small line.

Most of it reminded me of stuff we did in gym class, scaling a rope wall, running through tires, crawling under stuff, etc. The running seemed easier because it was broken up by a lot of other physical pursuits. It was very physical and definitely worth training for.

I think you should go for it. It was a lot of fun and I would recommend it.

Rhonda
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 224/ticker/140

Height: 5' 4"

Yes! I did two Tough Mudders this year and they were both awesome! I highly recommend it for everyone, honestly.

As you can tell by my weight, I'm not skinny or fit and I still had a GREAT time. There were people of all different sizes going at different paces and everyone was helping everyone else over the obstacles (even my fat butt).

I would definitely suggest trying to get in shape for this because I think it would've been more satisfying, but if you don't then it's not a deal-breaker. I had every intention of doing that, but was (and still am) the same as you in having trouble counting calories and exercising and I still had a blast. Seriously.

DO IT!

Edit: I wrote up a race report on my first TM in my blog here, and have another blog post comparing Warrior Dash to Tough Mudder here, so hopefully those help in getting a sense of what the "race" is like. I still haven't finished the second write-up, but I will get around to it sometime soon. I think.

Last edited by augeremt; 10-03-2011 at 01:34 PM.
augeremt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

Some friends of mine ran in the Warrior Dash. Most of them are runners, but not super serious runners, and a couple of them were just out for the fun of it, overweight, don't exercise at all, and ALL of them had a blast! I chose not to because I am uninsured and I the risk of breaking an arm or leg held me back.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoodoo613 View Post
No electric fences or fires, though. Seems like insurers might draw the line before that point. I've never done it, but I've helped out and it sure is fun to watch.
Nope. They just make you sign a waiver first releasing them from all liability. A college studen was paralzed DIVING into 18 inches of mud in our local Warrior Dash this summer.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #7  
BAMF

S/C/G: 253/251/150

Height: 5'5

Mount Snow hosts the New England tough mudder, and I am SO stoked to do it this year! (I work at Mount Snow.) Take a look at the TM web site, there are training tips and guides that you can use to get in shape for it! Good luck!
shamrockin32 is offline   Reply With Quote