Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: S/C/G --- 240/236/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Push-up/Plank alternative-- ?

My right wrist hurts due to what I am guessing could be carpal tunnel. I'm going to run it by my Dr on my next
visit in a couple weeks. But till then I *REALLY* want to find an alternative to Push-ups, Planks and things of
the like. Right now I am doing Power 90... I am in weeks 2, and the "Power Yoga" portion and all those Push-ups
in the sculpting video are very difficult for me. Instead of putting weight on the heel of my hand I put the weight
on the inside of my knuckles... does that makes sense? Because bending my hand back, and then putting all my
weight on it causes real pain. I can't even do push ups on the floor anyways so I do them on the wall... still very
painful!

Any suggestions welcome.
KellyAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:50 PM   #2  
hot mama!

S/C/G: 184/149/130

Height: 5'4"

Chest presses with free weights or a barbell could be a replacement for pushups. I'm not sure about plank... I know you can exercise the abs while standing. Maybe google "standing ab exercises"?

Take care of your wrist. My Dad had carpal tunnel really bad and had to wear a brace for a while. No fun
Tanna Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #3  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

How bad it is? I have problems too at times and I tend to do a lot of punches if I can't do much of anything else. If you can, do lots of leg work in the meantime. You can also focus on doing a variation of crunches (my favorite is normally on a swiss ball).

When it's really bad for me I can't even do free weights, blah. Oh, and what about doing push-ups at an angle? That would at least take some of the pressure off of your hand.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanna Banana View Post
Chest presses with free weights or a barbell could be a replacement for pushups. I'm not sure about plank... I know you can exercise the abs while standing. Maybe google "standing ab exercises"?

Take care of your wrist. My Dad had carpal tunnel really bad and had to wear a brace for a while. No fun
I have a brace for both of my wrists. For a while I had to wear them both at work. It's no fun at all, you are so right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post
How bad it is? I have problems too at times and I tend to do a lot of punches if I can't do much of anything else. If you can, do lots of leg work in the meantime. You can also focus on doing a variation of crunches (my favorite is normally on a swiss ball).

When it's really bad for me I can't even do free weights, blah. Oh, and what about doing push-ups at an angle? That would at least take some of the pressure off of your hand.

It's pretty bad, this morning I just bent my hand back while doing something in the kitchen, and I had a sharp pain. I'm usually pretty good about being aware of it so it I do not hurt it, but I guess it has just been long enough that it hasn't bothered me and I wasn't thinking about it.

I do push-ups (bending at my fingers, not the wrist) on the wall, but I don't feel like I am getting the movement I need because I am so worried about hurting myself. I do not have much trouble with my free weights, but I only use 5lbs, and make sure to not let my hand move back at all.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I can't really help with an alternative to pushups/plank in a yoga sense, but in general- instead of planks on your wrist, can you do planks on your elbows? I find my core engaged much more in this position.

Good luck with the injury- don't exacerbate it- let it rest!!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 278.8/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

It sounds like you are doing knuckle push ups, which are recommended for people who experience wrist pain. I've read that they are more 'hardcore' than regular push ups because they are harder to do.

Here are some helpful links:
- Alternatives to Push-ups
- Push-up Modifications
megmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:21 AM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Another alternative that I've seen are knucklel push ups...close your hands and making a fist, your body weight ends up on your knuckles instead of your palms, do this type of push up on a padded mat, plush carpet or even better a rolled up towel.

Planks can be done on elbow or forearms...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #8  

I thought about the plank on my elbows/forearms late last night, so that's taken care of! CHECK!
I feel like such an old lady with this stupid wrist!! I'm only 27!! Stupid repetitive job that I no longer
even have anymore... STILL causing nothing but pain! lol
Old 09-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

I got the operation on my writsts at 30ish, I am now 54 and they are fine and I feel great, maybe it's an option for you... I had one done then the other 6 weeks later...
Old 09-28-2011, 03:11 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
I got the operation on my writsts at 30ish, I am now 54 and they are fine and I feel great, maybe it's an option for you... I had one done then the other 6 weeks later...
We'll see what the Dr says at my appt. I am nervous of that surgery because I had a co-worker who had hers
done, and she has more trouble now than she ever did before. I know it all depends on the Dr... but I'm afraid
of the negative things that could happen causing me to not be able to do any of these things.

What I am most happy about right now is that my wrist is not affecting my working with free weights. It is only the
bent back position with my body weight put on it, or any weight for that matter.

Last edited by KellyAF; 09-28-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

I was at the point where I had no feeling in my thumb, my index and middle finger were numb all the time... Yes, you need a reputable doctor there is another doctor in town here that has the worse reputation for botched up carpal tunnel ops...I was just lucky to have the right Doc...