Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-22-2011, 02:32 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

So, this week has been going okay, I tried out two new very hilly trails:

8km on Tuesday
6km on Wednesday

I'm not feeling any sorts of pains or terrible hunger.... so that is good!

Thursday will be a break, some light walking around town and core body exercises. I think. I'm going through a "love jogging" phase, so I may decide to do another 6km last minute. I think the phase is caused by the amount of sedentary work I have at the moment. bleh.

One question: If you are doing a somewhat faster, quicker run, do you ever find your lungs weezing a bit? I've noticed it the last few times.... I still have enough breath to continue, it doesn't affect my performance. I once had an asthma attack as a child - but no reoccurences since.... I don't feel I am allergic to anything here...
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:17 AM   #77  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unna View Post
One question: If you are doing a somewhat faster, quicker run, do you ever find your lungs weezing a bit?
i had that earlier this year, every now and then for a couple of months. Don't know what it was, i've never had asthma before, and i've not wheezed recently, and i've never wheezed at anything other than running (cycling/aerobic classes etc). So a bit of a mystery. It also corresponded to pretty cold weather (well, about 8C - which is cold for here!).

That's not helpful to you at all is it?!
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:51 AM   #78  

Ange - it helps! Its nice to hear I'm not the only one!

I think mine might have more to do with air quality.... not coldness - but who knows. I can often hear the wheezing.... it sounds as if something has "broken loose". But, again, it doesn't effect my performance in a noticeable way.

So, I LOVE fall jogging. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much lighter than in summer!
Old 09-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #79  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 222/in progress/115

Height: 5'3"

Wahoo! Ran 4.15 miles this morning, my longest so far! I was a little scared that i wouldnt be able to do it, but regardless i had to try since im training for a halloween 10k. I cant believe i ran the whole way. Right now im at an 11 minute mile. Im shooting for a 10 min mile so im not that far off.
jayohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:12 AM   #80  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

^I'd love to get to a 10 min mile as well. Congrats on your longest run!

I'm a little late coming into this thread, but I have read it and you girls are really doing a great job this month with the running.

I've been off the site for six months, but I haven't stopped running.
I've been doing a lot of interval training which I find has really helped with increasing my speed. I haven't really increased my distance..but I was working my speed. I'll never be a long distance runner. I do like doing 5km's.
Did a 13 minute mile down from 15mins from six months ago. I'm also up to 4.7mph from 4.2 when started six months to a year ago.

I'm finding that interval/speed training has helped me with getting more fit and increasing my speed/time. Anyone else use HIIT to get results?

Did 2 miles yesterday interval training.

Last edited by Jojo381972; 09-25-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:28 AM   #81  

jayohwhy: congrats! That was no easy run! I've heard speed naturally starts to increase a bit the lighter you become. That sort of makes sense.

Jojo: most do claim it is essential to have another muscle training program for optimal running. I personally do some yoga, squats, lunges, etc.

My boyfriend and I kept running and running yesterday. The Garmin watch clocked us at 10km and approx. 750 calories burned. The weather was sunny, not too warm, and beautiful. But we both totally crashed when we got home.

Something essential I've noticed about running: the sun, even if its not super hot, has a draining power. I also cannot last as long when jogging in the middle of the day vs. jogging in the evening. Jogging in the evening is, for me, much lighter.

Have you guys ever noticed this?
Old 09-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #82  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Personally I'm a morning runner, although I occasionally run in the afternoon and my performance is generally unpredictable in the afternoon, just depends on how well I've eaten, slept, etc. I've trained myself to be an early morning runner because that's just what fits best into my schedule and there's nothing like getting an awesome workout in before your day starts and it being done with.

Completely botched my long run today. My body has been begging, screaming for a break and it won today. I've been feeling really run down lately, think I've been fighting off a cold, and it's just one of those periods when running requires a lot of effort and I'm feeling the effects of my milage when I'm not running. So I was supposed to run 9 this morning, but decided before I even hit the pavement I was going to do 5-7 and then I hit the pavement and thought um...maybe 3-5 and the before I knew it I quit at 2! I haven't run 2 miles in forever, but I enjoyed the break and didn't let myself feel one ounce of guilt. So I'm planning on taking it easy the rest of today and hoping this little break will be what I needed.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #83  
learning maintenance

ncuneo - good for you in doing what's sensible! Rest up and you'll come back stronger and enjoy it more.

I had a good run this morning after a couple of weeks of hard-going runs. When i say hard going, i mean my legs felt heavy and tired even though i wasn't asking them to push very hard!

I've been fairly strict on the diet (but not hungry) and i've also started doing squats/lunges again in the last two weeks so i suppose that the sluggish running has something to do with one of those factors.

Anyway, today it felt good again, and i did about 50min first thing this morning at a reasonable clip, so hopefully my body is getting used to the new routines!

I run in the morning in summer because it's too hot the rest of the day, but my favourite time to run (weather permitting) is lunchtime as that's when i'm most awake! I often find it hard to push myself first thing in a morning as i'm too busy congratulating myself for merely managing to get out of bed, so being out of bed early AND giving it my max, is just too much to ask most of the time!! After work at the gym is a good time for me to go hard (but that's in classes - i stay well away from the treadmills!)
Old 09-25-2011, 11:42 PM   #84  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

ncuneo good for you for listening to your body. Hope you have a healthy recovery

unna I think I'm the same way. I really like running when it's overcast, or early in the morning/later in the evening.

Did 40 minutes in a new park today. It was lovely. I don't know how far my distance was- 6 or 6.5 km? I don't think running 1-2x a week as I am now is going to get me to reaching any sort of great goals, but it sure does keep me enjoying, and not dreading, running.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:19 AM   #85  

Ncuneo - 9 miles in the early morning? That was your plan? Wow - that is super ambitious. And I'm not even new to running....

In my opinion, every mile is equally as hard - whether it is the first, second, or ninth. That's just the way it is.

One other general thing I've found to be true: if you feel like you are missing your running mojo and have ran hundreds of miles in those shoes, it helps to get some new shoes for extra cushion support. Put them on on those off-days. I also like to put a few new songs on my ipod.

ange82much: I would love to take a jogging vacation in Australia.... hmm maybe I'll have to mention it to my boyfriend - jogging is actually a really great way to see new places.

indiblue Yesterday we also went jogging 6.5km, around 6pm. It was a breeeze, confirming my theory that sunny, afternoon jogging zaps energy.

Because of that, just wandering, to those marathon runners, how do you run so many miles in the afternoon sun????
Old 09-26-2011, 03:33 AM   #86  
learning maintenance

unna - running is a big thing here, you'd love it (but maybe not in summer!). Check out coolrunning.com.au for a really busy website of chat from all different types of runners from newbies, to ultra runners, and track runners, and elites, and everyone else! If you ever want to know anything about running/training/injury management/nutrition/races/gear etc etc etc etc you'll find it there, and get an answer within 30 min if you sign up and ask the question!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:00 AM   #87  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

All my running is early morning, anything from 3 - 10 miles and even my half marathon training that peaked at 15 miles. I've just conditioned myself to work that way, I'm used to it at this point and kinda always been a morning person. I plan to do the same for my marathon training which starts today! And oddly enough I'm still feeling run down so I'll be doing today's run this afternoon cause I cursed my alarm when it went off at 4am and decided on a little more sleep LOL .
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #88  

I don't think I could get up at 4am if my apartment were on fire. Exactly why I don't think I need kids!

Anyway, ran a fast-ish 6.5km and then did 30 min. ashtanga. I was really sweating! I find ashtanga (the first few vinyasas) is super perfect after running - it really keeps the heart pumping and stretches out the hamstrings and straightens your back again.

I would love to hear other little tips - if you think of any!
Old 09-29-2011, 03:26 AM   #89  

Anyone still running?

I did another quicker 6.5km followed up with yoga.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:14 AM   #90  
learning maintenance

yes, still running. I did 5km this lunchtime and 5km yesterday lunchtime. Nothing to get excited about though!

I normally like to do a long trail run on the weekend (well, long-ish at maybe 2-3hrs with a bit of a walk if the hills get too big!) but the weather forecast this weekend is a shocker so i might just slope off to the gym and do a double spin session or something!