Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 145/137/120

Height: 5'4

Default While You're Running....

When I first decided I was going to commit to losing 20 lbs, my body was instantly cursing at my mind... over-zealous, out-of-shape, curse word. And while I was only 30 mins in...-just- walking, mind you, a phrase in someone's signature popped into my head and it has been keeping me motivated.

I'm paraphrasing, but it was something along the lines of "What isn't finished today, will still be there tomorrow"

This concept let me know I had to persevere while I listened to Weezer's Blue Album..

What thoughts keep you motivated?

What music keeps you in the zone?

Do you have any mantras?

Share anything that helps keep you running even when it's hard!
Unthinkables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

motivating thoughts: You can do it! You'll look fit when you're done and not just thin-but-flabby..

the music I generally do, if I'm at home is an ace of base mix on Jango. So dance music. When I go out riding my bike, I don't actually listen to music. I enjoy the peace and quiet thoughts.

no mantras really. Just staying focused to get fit and healthy!!
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

I have a piece of paper posted on my closet wall. This is what it says. I literally just copied and pasted a saved word file.

-------------------------

*~* Running Inspiration *~*

*Distance running is 99% mental, much, much more than physical.

*It's about constantly talking to yourself and saying things that will push you to keep going.

* "Are you bleeding?" "Have you passed out?" "Are you puking?".....NO....So KEEP going.

*Concentrate on breathing, your body can run on its own!

*At times it feels hard to push through and finish the run, but you can do it!!!

*Relax your legs

*Follow the program, trust the progression, don't let your mind say you can't do it and you'll be successful!

*While you are running, tell yourself positive words and phrases.

"I can keep going"
"I am an athlete"
"I am a runner"
"I am strong and capable"
"I can run like the wind"
"I love to run"
"I am going to do great"
"I can finish strong"
"I believe in myself"
------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was a running thread on here somewhere with some real gems in it. I just copy/pasted/paraphrased my fav tidbits.

I come up with some wierd mantras though. "Beer at the finish line" "Bikini" etc

The biggest thing is just to stay positive and stick with it. Make STAYING a runner the goal rather than specific time/distance goals. That stuff will come eventually if you keep at it.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

It's a bit goofy, but here goes. I love to dance, not that I'm very good at it, but I've always been overweight and too shy to do so. When I'm jogging, or any exercise that doesn't require thought, my mind immediately goes to the music, and I can't help think about what it would be like dancing in public. So jogging to the (quick) rhythm becomes my little fantasy about being able to dance in public. Silly, but it works for me.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:25 PM   #5  

Kelly - I fantasize like CRAZY when I run. Since the WWC I've been pretending to be a female soccer player jogging onto the field in germany. I've pretended to be running on a beach with a hot guy or some kick @ss movie chick. It makes the run go by easier to imagine myself in shape rather than a chubby girl trying to catch her breath.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #6  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

This is not a mantra...I think scarlett gave you some great ones.
However, I have a lot of friends and family members who think I am crazy for running almost every day, especially in this heat.
I am always having people say to me "I don't get it...why would you run when you have a perfectly good car in the garage"?
Once a week I run in a public park. Usually Dallas White Lake or Reverchon, etc. There are hundreds of people there biking and running, not in a competition, but just because they love it or want to stay in shape. It makes me realize I'm not crazy and when looking at 99% of these people, compared to the people I see on my facebook page, etc., they are in terrific shape. That's what I think about during a long run and my mind wants me to give up. I just keep thinking how I look now compared to how I looked a year ago, and that keeps me going. I don't want to be a flabby, unhealthy old lady, so I have to keep running.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 145/137/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
*While you are running, tell yourself positive words and phrases.

"I can keep going"
"I am an athlete"
"I am a runner"
"I am strong and capable"
"I can run like the wind"
"I love to run"
"I am going to do great"
"I can finish strong"
"I believe in myself"
------------------------------------------------------------------------[/COLOR][/B]
Quote:
Kelly - I fantasize like CRAZY when I run. Since the WWC I've been pretending to be a female soccer player jogging onto the field in germany. I've pretended to be running on a beach with a hot guy or some kick @ss movie chick. It makes the run go by easier to imagine myself in shape rather than a chubby girl trying to catch her breath.

I'm going to try these ideas. I love those short motivational phrases. I always watch espn with my headphones in and pretend I'm training for big world cup game too

I wish there was a thank option to like everyone's posts!
Unthinkables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:08 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 176/173/155

Height: 5'7

When I first started running (on C25k) and really struggled with the intervals, I would sing song lyrics in my head over and over as my feet beat the pavement. (I never ran with an MP3 player on my shorter intervals.)

Now that I'm running for longer periods of time - 30-35 mins at a time - my "strategy" is quite different. I've found that my runs are easier when I'm thinking about positive things rather than dwelling on the stressors in my life. I try to list all of the things I could possibly be thankful for in my life. I find that when I'm doing that, my breathing is so much easier and it helps keep my pace up too.

Also, now that I'm running longer periods of time, I do listen to my mp3 player. I mostly play albums that I'm familiar with and love or playlists with nostalgic songs. (U2's Achtung Baby/Joshua Tree/All That You Can't Leave Behind; Radiohead's The Bends; Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill; greatest hits albums by The Who, Bruce Springsteen, Van Morrison (since most of his albums are too slow for running!); The Band's Last Waltz.) I'm also getting into listening to classic country too, as it feels a lot like story hour at the library. Except with whiskey, women, and guns.

At times, when I feel like I want to quit running for whatever reason, I just evaluate myself. If I'm not in pain or feeling dizzy, then I tell myself I'm OK and that there's no reason I can't finish the run. (I also remind myself of how pissed I would be if I ended up quitting!)
kariatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

Height: 5'2"

My favorite motivational quote is the old classic: 'No matter how slow you're going, you're still lapping everybody on the couch.' Helps me keep perspective.

Like previous posters, I also spend a lot of running time fantasizing about various stuff. I imagine myself in some kind of action sequence, in various scenarios with people I know, in great shape, etc. Basically, whatever keeps my mind off the running itself. If I pay too much attention I screw up my stride/breathing and it all feels weird, so anything distracting helps.
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #10  

Height: 5'6

I don't run with ear buds because I run alone and have to be aware of traffic and my surroundings, etc. My mantra is: 'only one more hill or street or whatever'. The thing that motivates me is seeing my body transform and getting leaner from all the cardio. I also imagine myself running a marathon and hearing my friends and family cheering me on as I run by. Sounds silly but it works for me, particularly with the three hills that I run up.

Last edited by fitmom; 08-09-2011 at 07:07 PM.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #11  

fitmom - You definately need to do what makes you comfortable. I just wanted to interject that I am quite possibly the worlds most uncoordinated person and I run fine with ear buds. I live in a high traffic suburban area. I just stay on the side of the road, try to pick back roads and am sure to look twice when crossing streets. At times I need to jog in place for a few seconds if a car is comming but it's really not bad at all.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #12  
Kandie Apple Sundae

S/C/G: 225/180/150

Height: 5 foot 2

My favorite Mantra. "Just 5 more minutes you can go five more minutes" Then when I go five more minutes I tell myself "Just five more minutes, you can go just five more minutes" I just take it five minutes at a time and get it done! This seems to work for me pretty well.

Also.. I love Britney Spears for work out music. Some of her songs are so inspiring. Like Leather and Lace... Gimme More...I love to imagine myself as the lead in what I imagine the videos are. Lean and sexy!
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #13  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

milmin2043 - I just had to say I LOVE YOUR NEW AVI...YOU REALLY LOOK GREAT!

Ok...now for my head motivation, "MIND over MATTER" and repeat. I keep telling myself that my MIND is lying to me...it keeps telling me I CAN'T RUN any further...but my BODY can and WANTS TO run further. Ignore my mind...it's lying to me! Grrrrrhhhh....then I go into Zena Warrior Princess mode.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 196/139/135

Quote:
*Distance running is 99% mental, much, much more than physical.
This is so, so true. I can be on the elliptical, feeling fine, but I see how far I've got to go and I just want to give up. It really helps me to - and I know this sounds silly - keep track of the minutes in percentages. So, I'll be running, get to 6 minutes, and think You're 20% done! Ha! I keep going with that until it's over. I used to cover up the clock, but that only discouraged me because I would eventually peak and be devastated that only 7 minutes, or whatever, had passed.
KatieC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:22 AM   #15  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Thank you joyfull!
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote