Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-20-2011, 01:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 274/266/180

Height: 5'11"

Default Working out? HELP!

This may sound crazy but I am sure that I can handle the food part of this journey but I am really struggling with the working out. Before I had my son and before I took a more challenging job with longer hours 6-6 or longer some days (I know excuses escuses- just hear me out I need some advice) I worked out almost every day I even had a personal t 2 days a week. Now I don't work out at all ---I am struggling with having to ask for more help (someone to watch my little guy for- lets be real with the time- 2 or more hours a day) and not feeling like I spend enough time with my son as it is ( I am not even factoring in the lack of time spent with my husband). I am so lucky- my mother watches my son during the day but I don't want to ask her to do more than she does- same with my hubby (he puts in longer hours than me most days)

I have heard it all- you have to take care of you before you can take care of someone else--and other comments.

I do want to work out. That is what is crazy- I know that working out is the key to my weight loss. I tried to start small-- taking my son for walks (the fancy stroller-toys-sippy cup) but my one year old just can't handle a "work out" walk.

SOoooo... where do I go from here? I feel stuck. Help!
nomorexcuses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:39 AM   #2  
This time, it's forever..

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

Hey You sound like a hard working commited mother and wife!

Why not try a workout DVD? Or indoor cycling bike? You can do it in your own home at your own time and you wouldn't have to worry about your son because he will be right there with you. Hope this helps!
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:45 AM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I know what you mean. Since DD I cannot go back to my gym ways (yet). And I miss it!

So do what you can when you can. kidsbowlfree.com has been a lifesaver this summer. DVDs, wii fit plus help too. what about yoga kids by marsha wenig? Or little yogi's by wai Lana? Mine enjoyed doing a workout with mom that way and while it isn't anything like a "grown up" yoga workout, it was something!

Weight workouts? Not so much cardio for now?

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 07-20-2011 at 01:46 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:01 AM   #4  

One more question to throw out there--What about late night workouts. After the husband and kid go to sleep (11pm or later)?? effective or is the sleep more important? I have never gone there before but if you believe the saying- the definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:08 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 280/225/200

Height: 5'5"

Hi!

I agree with the working out whenever you can around your house. I'm lucky that my husband watches our kids in the evening so that I can go on a daily walk. Other than that, I play 'just dance 2' on the wii, and the kids "dance" along with me. Sometimes, I dance at night around 10-11 after the kids are in bed. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing? Seems to be working for me. Also, I lift light weights and do a few minutes of ab exercises at night before bedtime. You'll figure out what works best for you and your lifestyle! Keep it up!
Bamber33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:17 AM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

I second what everyone said! Just because you can't make it to the gym doesn't mean you can't work out. My sister used to do TurboJam in her livingroom, and my niece would watch her and try to follow along (it was very sweet to watch). If you have stairs, run a couple sets of stairs when you can. Do some push-ups and ab exercises before bed. You can do it!
abluvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:19 AM   #7  

I believe that 85-90% of the weight loss equation is what you eat. This article seems to confirm that: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...914974,00.html

Do not stress about working out. In the past, when I've set workout goals and failed to keep them, that oftentimes made me just give up completely. So, now, I know that I am not the type to keep up with a formal, gym-type workout routine. Knowing this about myself, I just do what I can. For example, I've started using my bike to run errands that are close by. If I do have to take my car, I park farther away wherever I go so that I have to walk farther. I have set up my treadmill in front of my computer, and sometimes, I hop on it while I'm watching a DVD. I do some non-routine housework (e.g., deep-cleaning a room, taking down the blinds and washing them, etc.). My house has never been so clean! And all of this "counts" as activity. Just go to any activity calculator on the internet, and you'll see. The only "formal" exercise I do is some light strength training that takes only about ten minutes, three days a week (six sets of 8 full-body push-ups, three sets of 12 squats, and three sets of 16 tricep extensions; I need to add sit-ups, but I hate them!! LOL!). And all of this seems to be working: I've probably lost about 10 lbs. in 7 weeks (I don't weigh myself; I'm going by the fit of my clothes), and my arms and legs look tighter.

So, do what you can do right now without stressing yourself. What you're eating will make more of a difference than exercise.

Last edited by lin43; 07-20-2011 at 07:21 AM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Is there any way that you and hubby can give yourselves x number of minutes of "me time" a day? So, he'll watch kiddo for a little bit and you'll go do a quick 30 minute workout, and then he'll get 30 minutes to do whatever he wants without distraction? I know there's limited time in a day and you both work long hours but even if you just did this two or three times a week it would help.

I also second the shorter workouts a few times a day... or lunch break if possible?

I would just make a few modest goals to start out and see how that goes.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I have a 14 month old and I know exactly how you feel. I looked at my pre-baby workout calendar and laughed, I was working out once, even twice a day, for months on end! LOL!

I start by making small goals - I will walk today. Then I will walk 2x a day. Now I'm walking 3x a day with him, every day (we have a dog so it's easy), and now I'm working on doing cardio 2x a week, then working my way up. Baby steps. My son does not sleep through the night so no, I do not have pre baby energy but I do what I can. Nutrition is most important. Staying active is important. A regular workout schedule may have to wait.

I have set up a play pen in my workout area and it helps
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 324/268/140

Height: 5'2"

I don't have children, so no experience here. But I'm wondering if you can make your sons play time a part of your work out. Kids have a lot of energy, and they can drain it too. Maybe chase each other around, lift him (instead of weights) children love to be lifted and tossed in the air a little, kick a ball around, carry him while you walk/run for as long as he can take it then run after him then carry him, etc...

This way you're "working out" while spending quality time with him.
Armida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I didn't realize you are working a lot... in that case I would def. do activities that include him. Have you considered a bicycle with a chariot attachment?

How old is he? Mine is 30lbs and I wear him in a back sling for several hours a day when we walk, believe me, it can be quite a workout! That gives you close cuddles and keeps up your fitness.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #12  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I've done both ends -- early 5 AM workouts and later 10 or 11 PM workouts before or after kids are sleeping.

So long as it doesn't affect your sleep quality -- for it. After all, shift workers do the same -- squish it in when they can even if it isn't the "normal" time for others.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #13  

Thanks for all the input ladies!
Old 07-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #14  

Height: 5'6

OMG, this was so me like five years ago. My sons are older now (9 and 6) but there was a time when they were little and needed my undivided attention, I can relate. I used to do a lot of exercise DVD's at night right after they fell asleep. It wasn't anything like I'm doing now - running, kettlebells, etc. but thirty minutes of 'me time' was definitely worth it, mind, body and soul, lol. Don't give up! I've been there and on the bright side, they don't stay little for very long. Enjoy them when they're that age, it goes so quick.

Last edited by fitmom; 07-20-2011 at 04:36 PM.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote