Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #1  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Question Any SEASONAL Runners out there?

I was just wondering if there are any runners who switch activity during the hot summer months. I LOVE running, but haven't been able to run for almost the past 2 weeks because of the EXTREME HEAT we've been having. I take my hat, socks and gloves off to anyone who can run in this blistering heat. I just CAN'T! I'll faint/pass out/hurl/just die!!!

Fortunately, I have a pretty big pool (20x40), so I have been doing other regular activity....SWIMMING just about every day for about an hour continuously. It's a great way for me to beat the heat and I just LOVE IT.

The only problem is that I don't want to undo all my hard work running. I was up to running 20+ miles per week. I want to keep my stamina! Swimming is fun, but I really don't feel winded or sore muscles or anything afterwards. I can't even tell if I'm breaking a sweat cuz I'm in water. Doesn't really "feel" like a workout...yunno?

So my question to find out if there are any seasoned runners who "take a break" from running to engage in another sport/activity for a season....have you lost any stamina, etc.?

**BTW, I haven't gained any weight since I changed activity from running to swimming and I've been eating way more laxed out (burgers/dogs, pies, cookies, etc.)...so I'm sure it's good for something, but I still want to "lean out" a bit more.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Last edited by joyfulloser; 07-13-2011 at 02:43 PM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:07 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6

I am because I live in the Northeast part of the country. As far as the extreme heat we've been having - to counteract it, I run really early in the morning like 5 a.m. to beat the dreadful heat. Come November, there will be too much snow and ice by me to continue running outdoors so I plan to switch to jumping rope for my cardio and HIIT cardio sessions. I'll lose some stamina but not too much if I diligently continue with the jump rope through the winter months. I wish I had access to a pool b/c I love to swim. I'll start running outside again in April once the snow melts. Ditto on the wanting to lean out, running is the only thing I've found that really slimmed my entire body down from head to toe.

Last edited by fitmom; 07-13-2011 at 04:13 PM.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:34 PM   #3  

I maintain distance during winter and summer (can get away wtih twice a week once my base is solid), build distance or speed during spring and fall. I'm good between around 25-85, but things go bad physically when it's warmer or colder.

If that's interfering with my Olympic career as a runner, so be it.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:02 AM   #4  

Height: 5'8

I don't normally run in the summer, I stick to swimming and cycling. I hate running in the heat and don't want to push through the hate and end up never running again! I don't mind running in snow, but as soon as the temp goes above 25c then you can forget it (unless I wait until 8pm or so).

I spent September - May preparing for one race or the other, so I think I've earned a cross training break. So have you!
claire0412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #5  
small plates small bites

S/C/G: 187/135.9/135

Height: 5'6"

Hey Joyfull--
Fellow runner here who has no tolerance for crazy heat or humidity. I'm from the south, so encountered it there-- and now swelter in NYC during summer runs as well.
I refuse to stop running all summer (or in the dead of winter, for that matter) and have had to adapt to a lot of different weather conditions. My tips:
Don't give up running totally all Summer long---- perhaps go at 5am, as was suggested above (I HATE running in bright sunlight, regardless of temp, so this is what I do) OR treat summer runs as "retraining" runs and allow your body to adjust to the different conditions. Perhaps when you started running, you only ran 2 miles a day rather than 5 or 6. Start this again. That way, you can run the same number of days each week but not the same number of miles.

During "normal" temp weeks, throughout most of the year, I run 6 miles a day, 5 or 6 days a week. During hot or humid summer months, I run 6 miles one day a week, 5 miles one day, 3miles 2 days. On the shorter days, I augment my running with strength training or swimming.

Just a thought!
TapasLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #6  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Thanks everybody for your comments/suggestions!

Tapaslover - I really like your recommendation to lower my daily mileage during the summer months or even to vary it. I ran 5.4 miles 4 days/week (every other day) during my weight loss journey. Now that I'm at maintenance...I'll actually DISAPPEAR if I continue running that much! For some reason running turns my metabolism into an INFERNO and I can't eat enough food to keep from losing when I run that much.

That said..I LOVE running and really miss it alot. I'm old (44) and my knees are starting to give way (left knee exactly).

I'm going to try running 3 days a week, with one day at 5 miles, and 2 days at 3 miles. I'll see how my knees like this. Will start with my 5 miler today and report back here next week as to how my new running schedule goes. I don't want to lose stamina, so that is why I'm gonna do one 5 miler a week.

Thanks again!

Last edited by joyfulloser; 07-14-2011 at 12:53 PM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:00 PM   #7  
small plates small bites

S/C/G: 187/135.9/135

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for the hugs, Joyfull!
I hope varying your distance works-- less time sweating it out in the dregs of summer can't be a bad thing, right?!

I hear you on the inferno piece as well. I've had to cut back the miles now that I'm maintaining also. Kind of nice but kind of strange at the same time.

In reading other posts of yours over time, our philosophies on eating/ food as fuel/ enjoying the pleasures of food and exercise are quite similar. Yay, us for finding balance and enjoying life

Now, if only it was 65 degrees with low humidity all day every day, I'd be in runners heaven!
TapasLover is offline   Reply With Quote