Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #1  

Default yea me!... Right?

Except for here, an anonymous forum, I'm pretty modst. So when I won my division for the 5k I helped organize to raise $ for the Y I am the new program director for, I just smiled. A trainer @ our Y got 1st for her age division , too.

Well, my dumb boss flaked out and missed a golden PR opportunity. She did not acknowledge in any way that 2 of her employees got 1st place!

As new PD id like to promote our Y event with this but I'm too modest to toot my own horn.

Wwyd?
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/152.2/130

Height: 57"

seems like good PR to me. Toot that horn!
shasha12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #3  

Turns out, the newspaper contacted me about the story. The journalist covered the 5k, took pics and wanted more info. I simply told him, amongst other things like thanking our sponsors and volunteers, that 2 of our employees got 1st for their divisions. He didn't ask and I didn't name names.

Perfect. Peeps who wanna know can look up the public results and figure out who did what themselves.

All is good in the land of Today Was My First Full Day As Program Director!
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

GREAT JOB!!

You should feel amazing.

Don't be afraid to "toot your own horn." In college I read an interesting paper on this issue. It made the case that men are socialized when they are younger to be competitive and brag about their accomplishments. Contrastingly women are socialized to be more humble. In the workplace, women are often more reluctant to take credit for their accomplishments and "toot their own horn" which is part of the reason we make slightly less. Please, stand up and tactfully let it be known that you did something amazing.

Last edited by Scarlett; 07-11-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote