Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 232/172/160

Height: 5"11

Default Some running advice please...

I have lost a little over 70 pounds by calorie counting, and I hate to admit it but I have done little or no excerise over the last 7 months to do it. I know I need to exercise for my overall health.I am in my second week of running. I have found that I am as hungry as a bear the next morning after I run. Is this common? I have been calorie counting and cycling at 1500 calories per day the last 7 months which has been fine for me, i.e. I have not felt like eating the house (okay...only on PMS days). Should I up my calories by say 100-200 calories or will I just adjust to it?
On another note, I have stalled these last two weeks in my weight loss. Anyone else experience this and has some advice to give?

I would appreciate any advice with this! I am bound and determined to become a runner!
k15g15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 196/187/139

Height: 5ft 9

Yes - running tends to make people ravenous. I'm a runner(and a "healthy" eater), and it's actually a part of my own problem. I up my portions and eat more, because it makes me feel like I'm STARVING.

My only advice would be to add in some weights and non-cardio. The mix tends to help a little bit. You don't necessarily need to change your running habits. The additional non-cardio just helps for some reason.

I would also recommend a bit of protein right after running(fage 2% is my choice). That tends to help stave off bigger hunger pangs later.
RawrDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #3  

Height: 5'6

I went through this the first two weeks I ran. I'm currently in my five week of running btw. Anyway, I counteracted it by having a banana BEFORE I ran and that seemed to help stave off any ravenous hunger. Now, I don't need to do that. Also, eating protein after a run helped tremendously. I like cottage cheese with blueberries and walnuts or an egg white omelet with steamed spinach. I usually run around 6 a.m. so your meal choice might be different depending on when you run. I also weight train with kettlebells and do a ton of core work too so running is not the only form of exercise I get.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #4  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

It will go away. I would say - add in the 100 - 200 calorie snack for now and then you can always take it away later if you fnid you start to gain or if you adjust and find you don't need it. I am a big fan of apples and/or yogurt these days. Filling.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote