Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-04-2011, 04:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/169/149

Height: 5'5"

Default When will my lungs catch up to my legs?

I know I've heard people say it's the other way around-- that your cardio will improve faster than your muscles, which is why it is important to take it slow even if you feel like you can go further/harder, in order to prevent injury. For me, it's the opposite.

I spent 1.5 hours on the treadmill today alternating between jogging and walk/sprint intervals. I was breathing hard after each hard run segment, and by the end my lungs were burning, but my legs felt like they could carry me another 5 miles!

I have been running for about 6 months, though I haven't always been super consistent (been consistent with some form of cardio, just not necessarily running), but the breathing situation never seems to get much better. Has anyone else experienced this? How long did it take for your lungs to finally catch up to the rest of your body?
AriRuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I am the exact same way! I don't have much to say about how long it took, because now that I'm home in the 100+ degrees and with no access to a treadmill my running has come to a halt. I always thought I was crazy thinking that my legs could keep on going, while my breathing made me kind of feel like I was going to die.

This is, of course, when I didn't have shin splints.
effie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #3  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I used to have that problem. Then I heard a PT on TV say: "Concentrate on your breathing, your legs can run on their own!"
It totally works. Try to work on even breathing throughout your run. You might have to slow your running in the beginning.
Ever tried yoga or pilates? They always emphasize on breathing too.

Last edited by josey; 07-04-2011 at 05:09 PM.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I am one of those whose joints are lagging well behind my cardio and lungs. What honestly has helped more than anything with my breathing is YOGA. Yoga's focus on the breath, on breathing deeply, regularly, and efficiently, has helped me with every other form of cardio.

That and all the flexibility and strength building involved in yoga make it a great compliment to running.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I would also say that if you have been running for 6 months and are still not where you want to be in terms of running continuously, I would perhaps try a more structured form of training. Some people like the method of running intervals/walking intervals for 30 minutes, with the walking intervals 30 seconds or 1 minute less each run/every other run. I prefer to increase my distance gradually. I add 1 km to one of my runs each week. It's a slow buildup but within a month I was running 1 hour/9 km (about 5.5 miles) straight.

I also wouldn't work on speed right now, just endurance. Maybe you are going way too fast for your body and that's what is tiring out your lungs and heart. Feel free to run at a slower pace (11-12 mph) for a while and not try to hit that elusive 10-minute mile.

Having a more structured plan will help you not try to do too much too quickly, but push yourself when you aren't feeling like taking it to the next step. It helps overcome the mental aspect of "my lungs and heart may explode right now, I better walk!" when it's appropriate.

Good luck!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #6  

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiblue View Post
I would also say that if you have been running for 6 months and are still not where you want to be in terms of running continuously, I would perhaps try a more structured form of training. Some people like the method of running intervals/walking intervals for 30 minutes, with the walking intervals 30 seconds or 1 minute less each run/every other run. I prefer to increase my distance gradually. I add 1 km to one of my runs each week. It's a slow buildup but within a month I was running 1 hour/9 km (about 5.5 miles) straight.

I also wouldn't work on speed right now, just endurance. Maybe you are going way too fast for your body and that's what is tiring out your lungs and heart. Feel free to run at a slower pace (11-12 mph) for a while and not try to hit that elusive 10-minute mile.

Having a more structured plan will help you not try to do too much too quickly, but push yourself when you aren't feeling like taking it to the next step. It helps overcome the mental aspect of "my lungs and heart may explode right now, I better walk!" when it's appropriate.

Good luck!

I would tend to agree with this post. I've been running for two months and my lungs pretty much caught up with my legs in the first two weeks. I've been a devotee of Yoga/Pilates for about 5 years now so that probably did help tremendously.

You shouldn't be panting or gasping for air when jogging/running either. You should be able to hold a conversation, if possible. I'd say slow your breathing down, in thru the nose and out thru the mouth and jog a bit slower too so the two (lungs and legs) are more in sync. And if you feel yourself getting really winded then walk at a brisk pace for a few mintues until your breathing evens out. Listen to your body and don't try to push your progress along. It will happen. Everyone's situation is unique to them.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by fitmom; 07-12-2011 at 10:55 AM.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote