Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-12-2011, 01:15 AM   #61  

I'm back running after a few years ... half of the gyms in the city have closed after a couple of large earthquakes, including where I was going, so I've taken up running again. Am still in the every-step-is-a-struggle stage but I used to love it and I'm sure I will again. Did my first hill run last weekend for about 5 years ... still sore today lol
Eruanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 211/190/125

Height: 5'5"

Yesterday I received an email from Runner's Worls detailing a speed workout. I'm proud to say I was able to follow the plan and run 1.2 m.p.h. faster than my usual pace. I ran for three miles. Here are the details:

Progression run. "The idea is to gradually get to a level where you're really working," says Kastor. Do a 10-minute warmup jog at about 12-to 15-minutes-per-mile pace, depending on your ability. Then increase the speed by .1 or .2 miles per hour every minute for five to 10 minutes. Decrease the speed and jog or walk for one minute. Begin the next progression at the speed in which you ended the first phase. Again, increase by .1 to .2 mph every minute for five to 10 minutes. Jog for two minutes. Begin the final progression at the speed in which you ended the second phase. Cool down with a five-minute jog.
zetaphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #63  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Did the treadmill yesterday afternoon (heat+humidity+smog alert = no outside running) for 36 minute run, plus WU and CD.

My next run, on Saturday, will be in Central Park!

ncuneo - I know what you mean about the relief of being back in routine after vacation. I'm looking forward to next week, don't get me wrong, but it'll be a wee bit stressful not to have my routine to depend on.

Eruanna - Welcome! I'm basically a brand-new runner, so I'm pretty sure as you get in the swing of things you'll pick it back up in no time.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #64  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Zetaphine-- do you do a lot of your runs on a treadmill? That sounded like a treadmill workout?
Its a form of a Tempo Run.. make sure you dont do more than one run like that a week, if you really feel like you pushed and it was difficult. Tempo/Threshold runs are the BEST way to increase speed though.
Ar eyou doing any interval training? what kind? if training for a halg, your best bet is gonig to be 800 to 1600 meter repeats (.5 mi to 1 mile) at a faster than normal for you pace (technically should be done at faster Than LActic Acid Threshold) with .5 to 1 mile recovery jog at normal pace ( Or GOAL HM pace). My point is that shorter intervals (like 200-400 meters) are much better for shorter distance training (5K-10K) where you run the intervals FAST in order to imporve your VO2Max, because with 5Ks serious runners should be running uncomfortably fast. However, during a half marathon you will never go anaerobic. Your most benefit will come from increasing your Lactic aciid threshold (which basically makes slower, half marathon paces more comfortable, because Lctic Acid never accumulates in your muscles), which a run like you just posted is designed to do
You will learn all this stuff if you decide to do that training program, otherwise, we are all here to help!)
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #65  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Default HUGE HUGE HUGE news!! :)

Ncueno-- you will understand this!

I am now considering NOT training to Qualify for the Boston marathon, because.......
After 2 full YEARS of having exercise/overtraining/undereating induced Ammenhorrea (no period) i GOT MY PERIOD BACK!!!! OUt of the blue, from nowhere, BAM! my period comes! i cant believe it!! I am so so HAPPY and excited. The doctors basically wrote me off, saying after this long, with all the things weve tried (progesterone, hormones, extended training breaks, refeed, etc) that i will never have my period again... never be able to have another baby.. at 30 i was diagnose as menopausal.
Sooooo..... im afraid the intensity of training to Boston Qualify might upset this very delicate balance i have giong on....... i know how hard i train, and i dont want to lose it again.
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 211/190/125

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
Zetaphine-- do you do a lot of your runs on a treadmill? That sounded like a treadmill workout?
Tempo/Threshold runs are the BEST way to increase speed though.
Ar eyou doing any interval training? what kind? we are all here to help!)
Yes, i was on a treadmill. Last night was the first time I'd ever done what you refer to as a Temp Run. I normally run in minute intervals. I started with 4.2/4.7 and alternating every minute until I hit three miles. Now I'm up to 4.5/5.0. My goal is to finish the half marathon in under 3 hours. Am I training correctly?
zetaphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #67  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

MK! I'm so happy to hear that! Just roll with it! Whatever you're doing right now is doing something right!

No run today, ST and Yoga. I'm busy busy busy after my 4 day vaca, playing catch up at work and whatnot. I'm feeling mentally and emotionally balanced right now and I'm just trying to ride it out, whatever I'm doing seems to be working for me as far as the food obsession and binging goes so even though it's not quite what I'm used to and I'm a little scared I'm just trying to go with it.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #68  
Closet health nut!

Boring 3 miler on the dreadmill today although I'm enjoying the low milage while it lasts I think I have another couple weeks before the real increase starts in my training. I'm scheduled for 7 Sunday, but that's lower than my usual long runs and I keep telling myself to just do it and enjoy it because those super (well super to me) long runs will be here before I know it and I'll be begging for 7. I guess I'll just see how I'm feeling.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #69  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Just got back from my Central Park run, ladies! I need to shower and head out the door, but it was GLORIOUS. I feel like I really accomplished something. The Jen I remember from a year ago could never have run for 40 minutes.

Actually, the fact that was kind of easy tells me I should probably start pushing myself so more. Uh oh!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:56 AM   #70  

Height: 5'8

Ah Jen, glad you had fun in Central Park! I went running there too, because you kind of have to! It was snowing when I was there though, but still was lovely!

I've just got back from a hobby race with the kids from school. They ran theirs first and we did our 4.75km one after. I used it to test my pace for a 5k I've got next week. Wasn't expecting much because I've had this quad injury and haven't been running for 2 1/2 weeks but thought I'd go all out anyway. I did it in 23:17, so bang on time for a sub 25min 5k! Yay! My quad really hurts now though, so I'll go back to swimming this week until next Sunday.

I'm trying to get as many times on my chip as I can before they operate on my feet (probably beginning of July). That's why I'm taking such a lax attitude towards my injuries, because I'll be having a forced 4 week feet elevated, on my arse doing nothing rest period anyway soon. Otherwise I wouldn't be so reckless.

Have a nice Sunday everyone
claire0412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:24 AM   #71  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

MKroyer - on your good news! I too remember the problems you were having with that! I remember wishing I could give you my "period" as I no longer have any need for it and look forward to the day when it is gone FOREVER!!!!

K...left knee is getting better, as it has allowed me to run 16 miles this week so far. I have a scheduled 5 mile run today to make my goal of 21 miles/week. If I make it...this will be the first week in about 3 weeks that I have made my 21 mile goal. I bought a knee brace from Walmart that I run with. I don't stretch my left knee too much and both these things seem to have helped alot.

Feels great to have my "running mojo" back again! Running is my PROZAC!

Last edited by joyfulloser; 05-15-2011 at 09:26 AM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #72  
Closet health nut!

Missed my long run because we were having a hurricane here today. Ok not really, but it was ridiculously windy and with my allergies and head cold I feel coming on I just wasn't feeling it. It was a training run, but it's only week 2 and it was lower that my usual long runs so I just decided to enjoy a break. I also tweaked my hammy doing lunges Thursday and it hurt pretty bad during Fridays run so...a little rest may be in order.

Speaking of menstral issues, my last two cycles have sucked! My last one was uber long and this one is shaping up to beat it. I think I'm ovulating now and it's really uncomfortable, if I hadn't experienced similar uncomfortabilty last month I'd swear I was pregnant. Anyway, sorry about the tangent

So training really kicks in next week and I'm excited. I'm ready to shed this extra couple lbs I've put on and get back to eating for fitness for a while. I've been a little of the reservation lately and it's time to get back to basics.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #73  
Closet health nut!

3 yesterday, 6 tomorrow - 6 on a weekday - ugh! Not really, I'm excited. I usually never run more than 5 on a weekday though, so this training schedule is going to be a slight challenge for me. I'll have mid length runs on Wednesdays that range from 6-8 miles. So I'm debating on the recovery drink after those. I've always had a take it or leave attitude about the recovery drinks, I've never have been given a compelling arguement to waste good earned cals on those. But there's a 3 hour gap between my run and breakfast...so we'll see I guess. I do them sometimes after long runs when I'm feeling particularly wiped or extra hungry when I get back.

Been quiet around here lately, hope everyone is doing well!

ETA: Just yoga and ST today. Starting *another* new ST program. I opted out of phase 3 of NROL for Abs, just wasn't feeling it and am trying the Venus Index starting today. I need a structured ST program, winging at the gym just doesn't do it for me.

Last edited by ncuneo; 05-17-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:56 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 129.4/ticker/115

Height: 4'11''

Hey everyone!

So, my tally for the week so far is 8.5 miles. Planning to tack on another 3 or so on Thursday, with strength training in between.

My 1/2 Marathon (novice) Training Program officially kicks off next week... here's to a summer of hard work, quick feet, and plenty of sunshine

ncuneo, I've been reading all of your posts. You're teaching me and keeping me on track! Which reminds me, if you have any thoughts in regards to speed work/intervals, with the goal of increasing my speed, feel free to share. I ultimately chose to repeat my first 2 weeks on the schedule because I want some time to learn how to do these workouts that will hopefully make me faster and stronger!

Thanks, and hope everyone is having a great week so far
FatPantsSkinnyJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:26 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

I did nearly all of my running on the treadmill until the past two weeks when I began consistently running outside. Today, I ran on the treadmill. What a chore, what a bore. It felt so much more difficult, yet my pace is slower on the treadmill than it is outside. Tired of this gloomy, cold, wet weather.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote