Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #1  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Default Riding a bike -how to start when it's hilly!

Eons ago, my husband and I bought bikes and we used to ride. I LOVED it. However, we lived in Chicago, not the burbs, but IN Chicago -we lived just off the tip of Lake Shore Drive and we could anywhere so easily. We would ride to get coffee, to a bookstore - it was great, but it was EASY because Chicago is flat, flat, flat.

Then we moved to Philadelphia, well, whoa! HILLS! I had a little one then and we got a bike carrier, really, the only place we could ride was in a park that was fairly nearby and was flat (along a river). We did that sometimes, but it's a chore to load up a couple of bikes and a bike carrier.

Skip about a decade, we got rid of the bikes, never road as we were too busy and lived in a tiny townhouse that couldn't store bikes (except the kid bikes).

That was then. This is now. We now have a 14 year old, a 5 year old with high functioning autism and the two of us. I picked up this bike last fall: http://buddybike.com/SpecsBB102-AL-8.html My husband plans to pick up a bike as well. My teen already has one.

While this is all great, this buddybike is not a bike I can take anywhere easily to ride on flat areas. I would like to just ride with my 5 year old locally. We live in a planned community and everything is like RIGHT HERE. We are a mile from the mall, a bit over a mile from the library, the gyms, the pools, etc. BUT, it's hilly. I tried last year when I was super unfit to just go around our little island in the cul-de-sac and I couldn't do it because of the hill!

So, how does one get to riding in hilly areas when they are so foreign to riding PERIOD? I am exercising and trying to get more fit, but will taht translate well to riding a bike? I'm walking, mostly.

Add to that, this buddy bike is a bit upright - meaning the pedals are more under me than they would be on a regular bike, so it feels a bit odd. I could start going solo on my son's bike (the teenagers - as it's actually my size - he's probably getting too big for it). And then build up to riding this monster buddy bike?

Any bike riders out there with some tips on how to jump in successfully without having to walk the bike up every hill I encounter?
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:08 PM   #2  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I would be interested in a few tips myself. Wherever I look there are hills...
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Yeah, take a spin class. In all seriousness, that's probably the best thing because it builds up all the right muscles. You can buy spin shoes that clip into the pedals, something you can use on a regular bike too if you buy the special pedals, but frankly it scares me not to be able to unclip fast enough. I could stand on a bike as a kid, but I find it difficult now as an adult.

Other than that, doing strength exercises for the lower body would definitely help, but it takes time. Maybe try biking as far up as you can a take note of how far that was and increase it every time you get out there.

Last edited by Eliana; 03-01-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #4  

Default Some suggestions

Hi Melissa, saw your post here because you generated a few web hits for Buddy Bike. Thanks! I see that you bought a used Buddy Bike. Unfortunately, that was one of our first models and it has a cro-moly steel frame so it is heavy. Our new models have aluminum frames to lighten the ride. I have ridden our cro-moly bikes for long distances and can understand it can be challenging especially if your stoker (front rider) isn't contributing much to the pedal power. I have a couple suggestions though. 1) Change the tires to smoother, slicker tires. That will decrease the rolling resistance giving you a lighter ride. The knobby tires are great for rough surfaces and are less intimidating for novice-riders but they can really drag you down if you only ride on paved surfaces and hilly to boot. You will need 26" tires. Your bike shop can help you choose something and they can put them on if you don't know how. 2) When I face a challenging hill, I start pedaling like crazy to build momentum on the flat just at the bottom of the hill. If you can get enough momentum it should help carry you up the hill so you don't have to use so much effort. I hope that helps! Shelley at Buddy Bike
BuddyBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #5  
Melissa

Shelley at Buddybike - you are too funny. It's not even the buddybike (as I'm excited to get using it). It would be ANY bike at this point. When you're out of shape and you face a hill! WOW!!! Add in now that it's a tandem bike (now, it's a well made bike and has a lots of bells and whistles), yes, it adds in weight and I don't think my 5 year old will be a big help (for awhile). And I truly believe, riding, even this family buddybike ahs to be easier than pulling a trailer with a child in it! That was BRUTAL!

So, I have this bike and I want to use it!!! But it's building up the strength to use it. I just wish I had a nice flat stretch to get started so that I could build stamina.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #6  

Well, I'm glad that you are happy with the Buddy Bike and working up to riding it. I know what you mean about hills. It's nice and flat in South Florida but I've been on some big hills in Central Florida and in Ohio that kicked my b. I've had some tough rides on the Buddy Bike too as the older model is heavy but really, whatever bike you are riding make sure your tires are pumped to the max (when riding on paved surfaces) and use tires with little tread. You'll find a big difference there. The other suggestion to take spinning classes could really help you too..without getting stuck and having to carry your bike! But persistence and practice to build stamina will be the best. I hope you'll have some great photos and comments to share on your Buddy Bike some day! Take care!
BuddyBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #7  

In my 20's I bought a bike after having done little physical exercise and considered myself non-athletic. The area I was in had the option of flat along the beaches in one direction and pretty serious hills in the other. Of course I started out on the flat, but I rode 6 days a week and just pushed myself a bit further every week. Then I started on the hills just going uphill till I was "done" and enjoying the freedom of the return downhill. I always try to plan my courses so that the uphill is before the down if possible, though rolling hills can be fun as you get the momentum from the down to get you flying up the next hill. Spin classes, stairclimbers, etc can be useful but I did not have access. I eventually did 2 century rides (100 miles in a day) in quite hilly terrain and was pretty impressed with myself. I dropped it after a car pushed me across a major road and just broke out a new bike last year. After many years I had skill and muscle still and have been gently upping my distance and time. One tip on hills that works for me is "do NOT keep looking up to the top" - just look at what is directly in front of you as hills can look worse than they are. Also do no compare yourself to other bikers. I used to just say "ok I can get to the next telephone pole", then the next one and voila soon I had crested the hill. Plus as women I believe we have most of our strength in our lower body - we just have to build it up. Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited by tommy; 03-01-2011 at 04:42 PM.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #8  
Melissa

Thanks Tommy. We have a half mile path near us that is flat. I'll start with that - but a half mile is well, not much. Not that the hills are tremendous just around me, but when your stamina is zilch (Ok, maybe not zilch as I've been walking an hour a day, every day for 8 weeks), any hill is a lot to tackle and with a heavier bike, even more to tackle.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #9  
Sarah

S/C/G: SW:197.8/GW:145

Height: 5'8"

I would definitely go out on your teenagers bike by yourself for awhile first. Also, learn your gears - it makes a huge difference! I used to bike my son to school and home every day (9 miles round trip) with him in a bike trailer - there were some big hills but I did get used to them over time. I just bought him a trailer bike (http://www.rei.com/product/774425) and we are loving it. Good luck!!
asparagus4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #10  
Melissa

We had that same trailabike for my older son and it truly was great. BUT... he's behind me and I just have to trust he's behaving and not doing something stupid. Fairly easy with a typical kid. BUT, my second son is high functioning autistic. He has motor planning issues, but more, fears. He's not afraid to get on a bike where I'm behind him and my arms are basically around him. He feels safe. He doesn't feel safe being alone in back. And, with the buddy bike we can talk more easily and make it more of a true ride together. I think even my older son would have preferred teh buddy bike, but with my younger son, it's the only way we'll get to ride a bike, period.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 205/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

Could you start by just walking your bike up the hill or riding partway? You can get pretty out of breath just doing that, which will also improve your fitness. When I was learning to do hills, that's what I did (and still do very occasionally). Ride as far as you can up and walk the rest. Then ride up a little further. Also remember to gear into the lowest gear at the bottom, as someone said. If it's a heavy bike, that will increase your fitness too. I started out with a monster heavy hybrid, which I could not get up hills at first. Then I got a road bike.

Last edited by tea2; 03-02-2011 at 11:29 AM.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Is there anywhere you can ride the bike thats flat? I know what you mean since I also Live in PA to many hills!!! I walked home from school when I was younger and had to walk up like 5-6 hills! But when I was younger we use to ride our bikes up and down the street because it was flatish or out by the school/school parking lot but this isnt a good idea if you wanna ride SOMEWHERE and not around the same area
Bulletproof Heart is offline   Reply With Quote