Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-16-2011, 06:12 PM   #1  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Question How effective is running for inches and weight loss?

So i love to run..well im trying to run..i mean i do intervals..for 60 minutes..so i run for 2 minutes and fast walk for 3 minutes.. I want to do more obviously..But i was just wondering how effective this type of training is for weight loss in terms of inches and pounds? Is it one of the most successful things you can do for weight loss? My endocrinologist says that it is..but i was just curious what others thought?
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

I am curious too, although I think I need to get some more weight loss before i take it, due to my arthritic knee (although I do have a brace), and also because I am worried my rolls would turn into wings and I'd take flight!! LOL
OhMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #3  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

I would have to AGREE with your endocrinologist! I've lost all my weight from calorie counting and running. BTW...I started at 30 sec running/2 min walking and now run 19 miles/week!

Happy trails!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

Yeah, I agree as well. I do my intervals on the treadmill and sometimes the Elliptical (it's really cold here) but I think interval running is where it's at.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #5  

High intensity interval training is the best form of running for fat loss. Try doing all-out wind sprints with walking in between for 15 minutes. Then do about 15 minutes of walking immediately after that. The HIIT releases fatty acids into your bloodstream and the low intensity steady state burns them off. This is a killer combination! Even more effective if you do it on an empty stomach.
Fitness Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #6  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

Running is great! It's one of the most relaxing (stress-relieving) and simultaneously energy-providing exercises you can do. We're evolved to be able to run, so on days you're recovering from an intense strength routine (weighlifting, intense pilates, even some videos), running gives you cardio without the strength bit. I'd just been running every day for a little over a week and felt amazing (the problem is that I then, uh, sprained my ankle on Monday -- and now I'm going crazy).

Be careful about the joints, but not too careful. You can definitely start now with 1-mile intervals a few times a week; your joints should definitely not be limiting you more than your energy level & cardiovascular fitness. Obviously don't do more than an average of 20 miles/week without first becoming well-educated about recovery days for running, knee & ankle rangle-of-movement stretches, and the right shoes.

Good luck!!
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitness Breakout View Post
High intensity interval training is the best form of running for fat loss. Try doing all-out wind sprints with walking in between for 15 minutes. Then do about 15 minutes of walking immediately after that. The HIIT releases fatty acids into your bloodstream and the low intensity steady state burns them off. This is a killer combination! Even more effective if you do it on an empty stomach.
I completely agree with you, BUT true HIIT is really taxing on the body. One, it shouldn't be done more than 2-3 times per week and two, I'm not sure with the OP's current stats that HIIT is necessary or maybe even recommended. I'd wait until a better fitness level is achieved, personally.

Intervals are fabulous! And I think time goes much faster.

As for whether or not it's the best for weight loss, I'm not sure. Everyone here swears by it. I seem to have had equally fantastic results with Spinning. I now do both and adding the running didn't change anything. It did wonders for my cardio though. It is by far the most challenging cardio I do and it's something I can continuously intensify.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #8  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Running works great, if you eat.

I lost the last of my 40 lbs via running and calorie counting. Whenever I didn't eat enough my weight loss would stop. And when my milage really kicked up during my half marathon training, my weight loss stopped.

Make sure you fuel your body and I think you'll have fantastic results.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #9  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

In the beginning, any exercise is will help you lose weight. i lost lots of weight running (in place with the wii) and a recumbent bike. but after several months? of that being my main exercise, it wasn't a balanced program. i didn't get injured, but i wasn't doing any lateral (side ways) exercises. everything was in the same plane, my body moving the same way. (i also did squats and other exercises, but mostly in that same plane of motion)

then i tried a workout with side lunges and speed skaters. i was sore for DAYS after that. i had strengthened my muscles, but not from all angles see? so just try to mix it up sometimes. keeps your body guessing, keeps you from getting bored too.

you'd think i would be upset i was so sore, but i had heard that w/o was really hard and wanted to finally challenge my legs. mission accomplished lol. so actually i was really happy, i'm weird like that though. i want DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness).

other than balancing your workouts, mixing it up, intervals of any exercise are great, running included. running is one of the most intense exercises we can do. and can burn lots of calories.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Running has always been the most efficient and effective exercise for my weight loss. Unfortunately I can't run anymore due to an energy, but if I could I definitely would do at least 15-20 minutes most days. Even just that little surge does wonders.

OhMyDogs, your comment about wings taking flight seriously just made me crack up out loud... !!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:24 AM   #11  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

The cottage cheese in my butt and thighs TOTALLY smoothes out when I am being very regular with my running. Even when I don't lose lbs., I still lose inches. Love it! Run, run, run!! I do intervals. Run a little, walk a little.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:53 PM   #12  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCraver View Post
The cottage cheese in my butt and thighs TOTALLY smoothes out when I am being very regular with my running.
This inspired me to go home and do intervals tonight!!
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 282/231/190

Height: 5'10

I did running/walking intervals for the first...month or so of my weight loss, and I actually learned to...like it! lol. I used to hate running, and now even though it's still challenging is extremely stress relieving! I can't wait until it gets nice outside so I can run outside vs. on a treadmill inside!
nessalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 202/197/150

Height: 5'9"

Joyfulloser - you're doing great! 19 miles a week is awesome. I'm walk/jogging 3 miles a day and feeling great. (other than a slight hip issue!) I have an ITB problem with my hip and I'm starting to feel like an old woman at 33! What the heck!?
MoJo Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:34 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJo Mama View Post
Joyfulloser - you're doing great! 19 miles a week is awesome. I'm walk/jogging 3 miles a day and feeling great. (other than a slight hip issue!) I have an ITB problem with my hip and I'm starting to feel like an old woman at 33! What the heck!?
I'm 24 and I have FAI, or hip impingement, in my right hip if it makes you feel any better! I can't run anymore- well, I'm not supposed to, but sometimes I hop on the treadmill for 15-20 minutes- and my hip hurts from prolonged sitting. FAI is a deformity, not a degenerative disease, but still, not cool!

I also have ITB problems in my right hip. Have you tried those foam roller things? Those help me a lot, even though they are painful.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote