Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 139/?

Height: 5'9.5

Question How to shrink legs, without being too skinny on top?

I am a pear shape, so my legs are thicker than my top. I am 5'9.5, and weigh about 139 lbs. I am mostly fat though . Jean size - 8/9, Top - Sz. Small.

I used to have an eating disorder, and when I was a Jean size 2, my upper-body was completely emaciated. My legs looked perfect though. Well, from the front. However, I had no muscle, which I think is a part of it. I would like to be a size 4, with muscle. What sort of exercises can I do to achieve my goal? I want to do weight exercises for my butt and legs though, because I have some of the dreaded cellulite that comes with more fat, than muscle.

I've heard good things about yoga and pilates. Does it matter the type of yoga? Also, how is it supposed to help?

Thank you for any advice and tips!

Last edited by GirlMeetsPearls; 02-04-2011 at 12:44 PM.
GirlMeetsPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #2  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

There's no way to really spot reduce. You are pear shaped, and that is how you are going to be. Weights, card, yoga, pilates, all are great. Do something, work out, but don't focus on your legs, all that'll do is tone your leg muscles and leave you with little to nothing on top. I'd suggest that you work out your entire body and see where it gets you. and remember, nothing wrong with being pear shaped!! Or any shape! I'm one of the lucky FEW who have an hourglass shape naturally. Your shape is yours, take advantage of it! . Good luck!
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Few women hold their fat in their upper bodies - that's why when you were starving yourself, you had an emaciated upper body and were holding more fat onto your legs - it wasn't muscle, it was body fat.

In order to do this, you really have to break out of the mentality of scale weight. Building muscle takes extra calories (more than to maintain), and lots of time and patience (I'm talking at least a year). At 5'9.5 and 139, either you are "skinny fat" (which means higher body fat but with very little muscle ~ that's very likely if you have a history of starving yourself) or a perception problem. It's probably a little of both.

It's harder to do when you are skinny with little muscle, rather than being overweight with more muscle. There's no amount of exercise that's going to change this until you start eating more to build muscle. For me, very heavy barbell squats, deadlifts, good mornings, etc. are what helps build muscle in the legs. Are you able to do a long-term diet and exercise plan to achieve that? It's going to involve breaking out of a fear-of-fat mentality.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #4  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Im pair shaped to but I must admitt I love being curvy and having the hips butt and thick thighs BUT I also want them to go down a lil and although you cant spot reduce you can do workouts to target legs. Squats, lunges, walking and jogging weight training is also great. Good luck
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
Few women hold their fat in their upper bodies - that's why when you were starving yourself, you had an emaciated upper body and were holding more fat onto your legs - it wasn't muscle, it was body fat.

In order to do this, you really have to break out of the mentality of scale weight. Building muscle takes extra calories (more than to maintain), and lots of time and patience (I'm talking at least a year). At 5'9.5 and 139, either you are "skinny fat" (which means higher body fat but with very little muscle ~ that's very likely if you have a history of starving yourself) or a perception problem. It's probably a little of both.

It's harder to do when you are skinny with little muscle, rather than being overweight with more muscle. There's no amount of exercise that's going to change this until you start eating more to build muscle. For me, very heavy barbell squats, deadlifts, good mornings, etc. are what helps build muscle in the legs. Are you able to do a long-term diet and exercise plan to achieve that? It's going to involve breaking out of a fear-of-fat mentality.
Because of my history, I am naturally scared to gain weight. What is the process of converting my shape to what I want? I am very dedicated, and have no fear of doing diet/exercise long-term.

Honestly, I'm having trouble eating normally, right now :I . I'm working with a therapist though.

Last edited by GirlMeetsPearls; 02-04-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbrider View Post
There's no way to really spot reduce. You are pear shaped, and that is how you are going to be. Weights, card, yoga, pilates, all are great. Do something, work out, but don't focus on your legs, all that'll do is tone your leg muscles and leave you with little to nothing on top. I'd suggest that you work out your entire body and see where it gets you. and remember, nothing wrong with being pear shaped!! Or any shape! I'm one of the lucky FEW who have an hourglass shape naturally. Your shape is yours, take advantage of it! . Good luck!

Ooo, you ARE lucky! Hour glasses, like Marilyn Monroe, are the PERFECT shape!

Thank you!
Old 02-04-2011, 12:51 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matilda08 View Post
Im pair shaped to but I must admitt I love being curvy and having the hips butt and thick thighs BUT I also want them to go down a lil and although you cant spot reduce you can do workouts to target legs. Squats, lunges, walking and jogging weight training is also great. Good luck
Baby got back!! I'm weird, I think that curves look good on OTHER women, but not on me. I think 'cause boys like them, and boys have cooties!

Thank you!

Edit: Haha, that made me sound like I'm a lesbian. I'm not.

Last edited by GirlMeetsPearls; 02-04-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlMeetsPearls View Post
Because of my history, I am naturally scared to gain weight. What is the process of converting my shape to what I want? I am very dedicated, and have no fear of doing diet/exercise long-term.

Honestly, I'm having trouble eating normally, right now :I . I'm working with a therapist though.
Great to hear you are working with a therapist IMO, if you have the resources, I would highly suggest a few sessions with a personal trainer (who has a lot of experience). When you come from an ED background, it can be difficult to really focus on the right way to go down a path when it seems easier to focus on other things that may have worked in the past (ie. knowing that starving will kill off muscle and bring those legs down) ~ not exactly rational, but it's the path an ED mind can take. I do battle with that myself still, which is why I suggest a trainer. You really need a second set of eyes to watch what you are doing.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #9  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

When I was bodybuilding a couple years ago I met a nice woman online (another site) who went from anorexic (severe) to totally reshaping her body and she really looked fantastic! It will take lots of commitment as Sasha mentioned, it is MUCH HARDER to gain muscle than it is to lose fat.

Given your current situation, I wouldn't recommend doing this without being under the guidance of a nutritionist and bodybuilding coach. You WILL have to eat alot (maybe 3,000 cals./day), perhaps you can be put on a calorie cycling program, heavy lifts, etc.

All the best...and most importantly...take care of yourself.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #10  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Sacha is right though.... ED aside, if you cant (wont) eat at or abovemaintenance, you wont buil muscle, period
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlMeetsPearls View Post

You can't change your basic shape. And given your history, you shouldn't be trying to.

Work on your insides, your outside will take care of itself.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #12  
Suicide Wing Winner

S/C/G: 135/98/105

Height: 5'5"

Maybe you can try running. It seems to have toned the lower part of my legs and butt, but I still have some inner thigh fat. I don’t get how building a lot of muscle will make your body thinner. If anything it will make it thicker. I know if I wanted to make my stomach or legs smaller I would have to lose the fat that’s there, which means I have to count calories and exercise. Any type of exercise that burns calories will do. Pick something you like.
Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote