Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/185/125

Height: 5 3

Default what should I do first??

Posting here because I hate to exercise. Ok, once the endorphins get flowing, I love it. I've tried everything and haven't stuck longer with it than 8 weeks. Both times, I succumbed to a strep throat. Bad. I was doing lean version of p90x at the time.

So, I've tweaked my diet over the last 2 weeks. I feel better but not seeing any movement on the scale. I have free weights, a treadmill waiting for me. I still have NO motivation to do it. I have all kinds of DVDs just haven't found one that I like to do.

Any ideas for a plan?? No holding back needed...I can take it!
almsthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Honestly, keeping myself motivated, at the gym or at home with DVDs or even outside running/walking/biking isn't enough of a motivation.

The worst thing is I actually LIKE exercise.

So, I decided to go to classes. I don't know if you have the money to attend classes, which make me accountable to someone/money for the class. I know there are free classes in my city that you can take as well by various groups that offer them. When I cycle, I go with friends who are infinitely more motivated than I am (sometimes!!!).

Also.... one thing that did help was that I told myself, "Do it for 20 minutes. If you want to stop after 20 minutes, you can stop."

Sometimes I would stop. Other times I would keep going because the endorphins finally hit.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #3  

When I struggle to exercise, I will choose something easy, that I do not even have to put forth much effort.

Either, I will go for a walk, or I will choose an easy dvd to use.

Focus on getting in the habit of exercising, than when you are ready,you can increase your exercise routine.
littlebumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:14 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Do you have a goal you're working toward more than "get fitter"? Sometimes a goal can be super motivating. Since Jan 1, I have been working on pullups and chinups. It's made a HUGE difference in my motivation to lift weights...because I know that I have a goal to work toward.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:48 PM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I second the goal idea! Huge motivating factor for me!

As for getting sick, every time I've started an exercise routine I have always come down with strep or Bronchitis shortly after starting. I think the initial taxing of the body may mess with the immune system, though eventually the opposite is true. What I did, and this may sound strange, is I would go through the routine of getting up, dressing and going to the gym just to keep the routine. I turned right around and went home, mind you. I didn't want to get anyone sick. But I had to keep the routine. After a year, illness is no longer a derailer. I get really anxious to get back at it. Perhaps when you're sick you can still get up at the time you should, dress like should, and then turn around head back to bed.

Other motivators: Clothes come to mind. This from a non-typical woman who doesn't care so much about clothes! LOL! But I have come to like workout clothes. It's bad. Very, very bad. I just bought my first pair of spin cycle shoes and couldn't sleep the night before, I was so excited! Two weeks later and I still can't wait to hop out of bed and spin in them. New music for my ipod. I find the class environment extremely motivating and I can't wait to go in the mornings.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote