Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/184/145

Height: 5'6"

Default The anger of being interrupted.

I've been going to the gym a lot lately. I take my kids with me. At first they were horrible, but got used to it and started playing nicer. Today my 2yo son was horrible again. It was just him and my 4yo daughter. They were playing ok then all of a sudden he hit her. Repeatedly. He's 2, so not a huge shocker. We went home and now I'm just so angry at only getting a 10min workout in. Right now the kids are playing in their rooms so I can cool off a bit.
shelle58704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 6'1''

I have 5 kids and it was so hard to get a good, regular workout when they were that age. I think you kinda have to just go with the flow a bit, unless you can pay for child care. 2 and 4 year olds are still so young and have such short attention spans - I can't imagine it being possible for them to entertain themselves for even 20 minutes on a regular basis.

I feel your pain and the frustration of not being able to do what you'd like to do...maybe there is an alternative so that going to the gym is fun for them, too?
hatethesweatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/157/120-150

Height: 5'5"

At that age, mine get strapped into the jogging stroller while I go on a walk. Not only am I getting exercise, I'm getting an hour break from dealing with the two of them.
pageta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/166/130

Height: 5' 2.5"

My BF interrupts my workouts and drives me crazy. Gotta pause my workout to answer his phone calls. Even a 2-min interruption breaks my pace and I curse him (hehe..).

When I always had to tote my son along, I'd walk the mile lap at park and make him walk with me (which he hated, so we didn't continue for long) or let him play at playground and take a jumprope to jump in place (or high-step march or jog in place). At least you could get in another 5-10 min of activity that way..

If nothing else, just know you're not alone and you'll get a little more personal time in a few years once they're in school..
ferretgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #5  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

I've DEFINITELY, definitely, definitely BTDT!!! I really try to not let it get to me but some days it's just too much. Some days I do an exercise videos after DD goes to sleep but she ALWAYS seems to wake up during it (at least once! ) It's so frustrating starting and stopping all the time.

Then when I take her in the jogging stroller we always have to constantly stop because of snacks/water or because she's throwing a tantrum. Or if I try and do a video while she's awake she spends most of the time sitting on top of me or grabbing my legs or running underneath my legs or trying to do all three at once!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:52 PM   #6  
No description available.

Oh, wow, I remember those days! They do go fast, but I remember the frustration. One thing that worked well was swapping with another mom. She'd kid-sit while I exercised and then vice versa. It saved both of our sanities!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #7  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Oh my. I've been there too. In fact, it was the reason I couldn't work out at home anymore and joined a gym with childcare. But, sometimes my workouts would be interrupted just as you described. Sorry.

It is a tough age and sometimes a frustrating period of time in our lives as mothers. Even when my youngest did behave himself I felt so much GUILT over having him in there for an hour and half it was insane.

Hang in there. It will eventually get better. Maybe it was because they were the only two in the child care room at the time...Hopefully you will have some very satisfying and uninterrupted workouts ahead of you.

Don't know if it's an option, but when I knew there would be issues or interruptions to my workout ahead of time, I would go to the gym at 5:30am, got that workout in UNINTERRUPTED by ANYONE...(other gym members too) and returned home by 7:00am before DH left for work. Just and idea. (Course on those days before and after I had to be in bed by 8:00pm
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 205/184/145

Thank you all for commiserating!

I, sadly, haven't gone back to the gym since. To many errands to run, then naps, my older daughter out of school, dinner, homework . . . I plan on going tomorrow though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia227 View Post
Don't know if it's an option, but when I knew there would be issues or interruptions to my workout ahead of time, I would go to the gym at 5:30am, got that workout in UNINTERRUPTED by ANYONE...(other gym members too) and returned home by 7:00am before DH left for work. Just and idea. (Course on those days before and after I had to be in bed by 8:00pm
No that's not an option. DH is gone on a business trip, even when he is home he has to work at 6:30/7. No way can I go THAT early! lol
shelle58704 is offline   Reply With Quote