Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #1  
improving life!

Height: 5'7"

Default Running in October

Figured I would go ahead and start this months running topic. Hope everyone is doing well with their running!

I've started to do shorter runs with faster speeds because my body has gotten too use to jogging an easy pace for long distances. my body isn't seeing results like it use to and I've forgotten what it feels like to really push myself so im going to do sprints for a while, still probably do some long runs on the weekend.
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for starting the thread, pinkalarm! Great idea to mix in shorter, faster runs -- always helps your body to work it in different ways.

I had running highs and lows this weekend. I usually run in the morning, but on Friday had to wait until late afternoon. It was a beautiful day with the first hints of fall, and I had a great 5-mile run. Friday night, was literally up all night with a croupy toddler, and had the worst, most painful 3-mile run on Saturday. Just awful. Tired legs, tired body, tired brain. Coming off of that, I really didn't want to run this morning -- but dragged my butt out and had an incredible 8-mile run. Didn't feel the first bit of tiredness or weight in my legs until I went up a hill at 5 miles. Helped that it was about 50 degrees when I set out -- perfect running temp -- and that the sun didn't come out from behind the clouds until I had my back to it.

Wishing everyone a run like that this week!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:58 AM   #3  
Featherweight

S/C/G: 135/130/125

Height: 5'3.5"

I started adding a couple of sprints in to my run but came up with a sore left calf. I've been concentrating on stretching these past few weeks. I was getting complacent and was lucky thats the only injury I've suffered.

Happy Oct running to everyone
AR4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

I just started my 2nd week of C25k! On the treadmill still, because it's frickin' 104 degrees out there. I might be able to go out after dark by the end of the week though. I feel kinda weird about getting my nice white running shoes dirty, is that stupid or what?
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 205/205/145

Height: 5'8

the weather is awesome. I think i'll go out for a run today...I need some good music though. Also, I get extremely tired...I guess I just have to PUSH
Janel83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #6  

Happy October, everyone!

I went for a great run this morning. I've discovered a new trail: it's 2.4 miles on crushed gravel and boardwork through the woods just outside of Charlottesville, and it ends at the base of Monticello (home of Thomas Jefferson). I've walked it twice with my SO, and have been hankering to try running it, and did today for the first time. I ran out and back, 4.8 miles in 45 minutes flat. It's pretty much all up hill going out and all down hill coming back. On the way there I did take some walking breaks on the steeper parts just to not wear myself out but am pleased that I averaged under ten minutes a mile for the whole run, even with a few walk breaks. Planning to go back and run it again and tack on an extra two miles - out and back, and then out to the mile mark and back for just under seven miles, which would be my longest run so far.

Not racing in Oct because I'm going on vacation (2 1/2 weeks in Peru - Lima, Machu Picchu and the Amazon rainforest!) but looking ahead to my next 5k on Thanksgiving, a turkey trot. Let's make it a great month!

Bronze - I like keeping new shoes nice and shiny, too, at least at first, so I know what you mean.
blueridgegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 155/122.6/105

Height: 5'2"

Blueridgegirl, your post was so inspiring! I can't wait until I'm able to run 4.8 miles in 45 minutes. It sounds like you found a nice trail, too.

I just got back from a jog, and I feel pretty good right now. I've been off plan (not horribly, but still) with food for the past few days, and I didn't do any jogging last week due to shin splints. I sort of forced myself out the door this evening, feeling as though I were falling off the wagon. I even gave myself permission to do half my usual jog. Instead, I ended up jogging over 4.5 km without any walking breaks! It might not seem like much, but I definitely haven't done that in over a year (probably longer). If I can keep improving like this, I might just sign up for a half marathon in the summer. Or a 10K. We'll see how winter jogging goes.
Nienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 172/172/152

Height: 5'3"

Having a great running month so far... Last sunday I ran race for the cure and beat my last 5k time (back in April) by 4 minutes! I have a 10k this weekend. Planning on a 5 mile run this afternoon. It's nice and cool, looking forward to that.
wickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Wickedlady, I am jealous of your races! It is hard for me to fit them in, between my husband's work schedule (he works a lot of weekends ) and the kids' activities. I am planning on a 10K in November and a 10K in December if my husband can work around them, and a half marathon in March.

Speaking of that half marathon in March... it's both a half and a full marathon. I've been flirting with the idea of running a full. I've had some tendonitis in my hip for just over a year, but it's really been feeling good lately, and I'm thinking, and I'm thinking, and I'm thinking about it... my husband said he'd run it with me (he did one in 2006). Oy, what am I getting myself into?

Ran 4 today with DS in the jogger. Felt good! Planning on 9 this weekend.
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:02 PM   #10  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

im in a serious slump you guys. I quit smoking (again) 1 1/2 weeks ago. Im very depressed. I have no motivation to run or do the things that i enjoy. Last week when i went to go do my final 20 miler before my marathon i had an anxiety attack and was only able to manage about 4 miles.
Oh, and ive gained 14 pounds in one week
I hate myself, and i hate running, and i hate everything. why do i do these things to myslef?
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:10 PM   #11  
improving life!

Height: 5'7"

mkroyer-- i've been there. sometimes the best thing for me to do when im depressed like that is just make sure to keep doing things. keep going to class, keep walking up on time, keep going to work or a meeting, and to keep at least starting my run or workout. as long as i keep getting up and doing things i get back on track. if i stop going to thing, like skip class and a workout then i just keep feeling bad and possibly even worst. i hope you feel better soon!

so my last few runs i start out at about a half a mile to a mile of jogging starting at an easy pace then going to about a half marathon pace, then i do about a minute fast then minute easy pace then a minute a little faster and a minute at an easy pace and keep going getting up to about 9.5 mph, on some of the faster running intervals ill repeat the same speed a couple times before moving up. then ill run at an easy pace (12 minute mile) for about 5 minutes then increase to a 10 minute mile with an incline of about 4-5 for five or so minutes. I really like it! My legs have been getting sore too! but thats probably because of workout video im doing too.
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #12  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

mkroyer -- hugs!!

As much as I'd like to stay always in peak form, at optimal weight, with life under control -- it just doesn't seem to work like that. I find that I go through peaks and valleys in everything. You're just in a valley right now. Quitting smoking is major, training for marathon is major -- it's a lot to ask of yourself!!

One thing that helps me through it is to try to manage my expectations. You are so talented (and goal oriented), and I think you tend to expect too much of yourself? I try not to set time goals for races anymore, just go out and do what I can - that day. Maybe I'll walk the last 2 miles, but I'll finish, and if that's the best I can do, then that's good enough. That approach really helps me to manage my anxiety. Enjoy the moment. There is no failure!

I'm 3 weeks post marathon now, and am ramping runs back up again. I was really tired out the first week or so, but feel pretty much back to normal now. My 13 miler on Sunday went really well, I felt strong and held a decent pace (for me). I'm also heavy right now (5 lbs over redline!!), which really affects my speed. Our weather is finally cooling off a bit ... we have a 16 miler planned for Saturday as now we start to ramp up for Disney in January.

Last edited by MBN; 10-07-2010 at 12:18 PM.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #13  
SGeranium

Height: 5"8

mkroyer Take care of yourself lady. quitting smoking is GIGANTIC really tough, tough , tough. You are doing a lot of challenging things right now. (marathon, not smoking, turning thirty.... more I'm sure) Treat yourself with care. Smoking is more than a monkey on your back it's a gorilla.

My slump buster is a 3 mile run. It has special significance to me on many levels plus it's a fun, busy people watching spot. It almost always does the trick for me. It was the sight of my very first running victory. The first place I truly believed I could do much more that I thought possible. It's my go to for a run pick me up. Do you have a spot you love? try that maybe.......

Good luck whatever you do, I'm sure you will be great.
SGeranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #14  
SGeranium

Height: 5"8

hello runners!!!!

It so motivating to read about race and training plans. I love it. I'm a goal girl it would seem. With that being said I'm lookin around for a new one. after my June half mary, running became more of a side note. I had a total love affair with my bike over the summer and really only managed one or two 3-5 milers a week. I get blocked pretty easy. I'm working on it. I was thinking about a 15 km after thanksgiving maybe? It could always be a 10 km. I just need a goal. I need to stretch the right amount.

My dh started his 20 week 50 mile training plan a couple of weeks ago. Yes the same dh who started running about a year ago. Can you say addictive personality ?
SGeranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #15  
A runner wanna be.

Height: 5'1

I am back to running. After a month of not running more than 1.7 miles, I decided to be back in shape starting October. So, last Monday I ran 3.4 miles in 39 minutes and yesterday Wednesday, I ran it in 36.43 minutes. I am planning on going faster every time. I have signed up for a 5K in two weeks and I will try to improve my PRI. We will see!
lili58 is offline   Reply With Quote