Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #1  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default cross country skiing?

am looking for others who are interested in cross country skiing. It is one of the few exercises I really enjoy. I did quite a bit last winter and got into pretty good shape, and hope to do that again this winter. In summer I have been doing yoga, and plan to do yoga and pilates this fall. But I will also need to get into shape aerobically to get ready for winter.
I have odd hours so find working out difficult. but I am committed to this. So a buddy would be nice.
any interest?
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #2  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

i telemark! does that count
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:59 PM   #3  
Madeleine

I am interested, I have read about telemark skiing, but never actually seen it done. If I understand correctly, you climb the hill and ski down in a particular way. I am not sure how aerobic the activity is. My husband does downhill, and gets no where near the aerobic activity that I get. tell me more about telemark. I guess cross country is just not big on the this list.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #4  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

I like cross country - it's one of my favorites. But even we don't have snow yet.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 155/122.6/105

Height: 5'2"

I'd love to try cross-country skiing! I've never done it before, but I recently moved to a place that actually has a real winter (Finland). I'm up for buddying if you're still interested. What are you doing to get in shape aerobically?
Nienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #6  
Madeleine

Nienna: I'm not doing much yet, but know I need to. I can get outside, use my treadmill, or nordictrak, and have a wii fit. No gym. Can do some weights at home too.
Last year, we got snow early, and I started off just sticking to skiing on a flat trail where we walk the dog, until I could do it twice without stopping, then on days off went to a cross country trail a short drive away which has some challenges. I was working toward the goal of being in shape for a ski vacation with DH, we went to BC and skied at Sunpeaks, I did a couple of hours of skiing every day.
This year we are planning a holiday in Banff, its earlier in the year though so I need to start now.
Also a challenge to stay in shape between times with working.
What do you have in mind?
Old 09-14-2010, 12:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 155/122.6/105

Height: 5'2"

Oops, sorry for the delay!

I'm not really sure what I should be doing to get in shape for skiing, but I definitely need to do something to kick it up a gear. I walk to and from work (I think it's about 2.2 or 2.3 km each way) Monday through Friday, and I've been jogging for about 20 minutes each night, along with some stretches, crunches, and girly push-ups. I don't have gym access, but I've heard tell of a free public swimming pool and a free ice skating rink in my area. Not sure that I'm quite ready to wear a swimsuit in public yet, though.

I honestly have no idea how much effort cross-country skiing takes (or what hitherto-unknown muscles will start to ache once I try it), so I'm not quite sure how to prepare, but it sounds like fun! A coworker invited me on a skiing holiday sometime in February or March, and I'd like to tag along without completely embarrassing myself.

When will your holiday in Banff be?
Nienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:00 AM   #8  
Madeleine

HI, well, looks like the Banff holiday is kaput. We had some damage in our house due to flooding, and instead of spending on the holiday, I think we will spend money on the house. so this year, my cross country skiing will consist of times going up to a ski area in Ontario just a couple of hours away. Friends of ours have a cottage where we can stay on the cheap, there is a place for downhill for my husband and 3-4 places for cross country for me. Just no fancy meals out or fancy hotels and such.
the other thing to determine what kind of exercises, would be which kind of skiing? I do classic, this is a back and forth motion, and I find I use my upper arms a lot. Otherwise its mostly cardio. I can't usually ski for a full hour when I start the season, and there is no way I am fit enough for that. So I will concentrate on cardio on the treadmill, nordictrack and outdoor walking for now, and doing some weights for the arms and shoulders.
If you want to do "skate" skiing, then skating is similar. It is a much bigger leg workout, and has a lateral action.
Its getting nippy in the mornings here, maybe frost soon, then snow!