Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #1  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

Question Creepy crawly feeling in legs after run

I am doing the Couch to 5K running program, and ever since I increased my distance to 2 miles or more, I've been experiencing something very weird.

About two hours after my run, when I'm sitting at my desk at work, I get this creepy crawly feeling in my legs. It's almost like there are bugs crawling under my skin or something. Jiggling my legs helps to make the feeling subside. Getting up and pacing helps even more. If it gets to the point that I absolutely cannot stand it, I'll take an ibuprofen. It usually stops within three or four hours, and is completely gone by mid-afternoon.

Does anyone have any clue what this is?
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:09 PM   #2  
Rockin Socks since 1984

S/C/G: 205/179/155

Height: 5'3.5

i have NO IDEA what it is but as strange as it sounds, i'm glad you posted this! when i did c25k last year and started running, i had the same thing. somedays mine was more pins and needles and others it was like bugs under my skin. i don't know if it had anything to do with it, but as i gained distance, i started drinking more water and it went away. i don't know if the water helped or if i just got used to running. i also increased my stretching (added yoga) that i think helped too. sorry i can't tell you what it is..but at least you know your'e not alone.
amyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:21 AM   #3  
The girl who can

Thanks Amy! I'm glad to know I'm not alone in experiencing this weirdness! My niece is a physical therapist; I'm going to ask her today if she has any ideas about this.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:09 AM   #4  
The girl who can

My niece said it's lactic acid being released from the muscles and the best thing to do is to keep moving as much as possible on run days. I guess eventually your body adjusts to your exercise routine and doesn't produce as much lactic acid and you only experience the feeling if you drastically increase your routine. (Also, I googled about this phenomenon, and supposedly in extreme cases, you can actually hear this with a stethoscope and it sounds like popping bubble wrap! )
Old 08-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #5  
Rockin Socks since 1984

S/C/G: 205/179/155

Height: 5'3.5

wow, i never would have thought it was that! and EWWWW! if i heard it in my legs i think i would FREAK out! one of my fears is things under my skin. if i heard it popping eewwww hahaha. thanks for the info though, it's good to know i'm somewhat normal...in this case
amyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #6  
Weight is Just a Number!

S/C/G: 217/174/141

Height: 5'5"

You should probably stretch out more after your run. Try some sun salutations and really focus on stretching out your leg muscles.
kristyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:47 AM   #7  

I used to get these pins and needles, creepy crawly feelings in my legs too, I just chalked it up to blood being circulated in my legs during my run... My legs used to also get red and veiny during my run... Now I only get this if I increase my time or miles...
3fcuser1058250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:56 AM   #8  
active kids, active mom

I also sometimes get that feeling after a long, hard work-out, but more in a "restless" legs kind of way. It goes away if I take a magnesium supplement and eat a banana (potassium).

Last edited by knitsforfive; 08-16-2010 at 08:57 AM.
knitsforfive is offline   Reply With Quote