Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #1  
I can, I will, I do

S/C/G: Goal: 130

Height: 5'6"

Default Some questions for pro excercise chicks :)

1. Should I work out in the morning or the evening.. or the afternoon?

2. Should I work out twice a day or is that too much?

3. Is it true that going to bed early and waking up early makes your metabolism work better?

Help?
Avezy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:16 PM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

1. I think it depends on YOUR best time of day. When is your energy highest? I'm a total obnoxious morning person. My energy peaks and diminishes by 10:00 AM. For me, working out at 5:30 AM is awesome and if I workout in the afternoon I don't work nearly as hard. My girlfriend gets her best workouts in in the afternoon and would be sleep walking through 5:30 AM workouts.

2. I don't think twice a day is too much if you can fit it in and if it doesn't feel like too much. I think movement throughout the day is awesome. I get a good solid formal workout in during the morning, then I do something active in the afternoon, usually with the kids. This might be biking, walking, playing at the park, swimming, going to the amusement park, that kind of thing. Then in the evening, I'll often walk after dinner. But my formal no-excuses exercise I MUST get it is that time in the morning.

3. I think three is a myth, but I have no idea. I do go to be early and I do wake up early, but again...I'm the biggest morning person I know. But I was also a morning person at 235 pounds and my metabolism wasn't really working for me then.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:00 PM   #3  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

1. Whatever works best for you to get the maximum amount of exercise in that you enjoy and will be able to sustain long term.
2. I think twice a day is too much. I exercise intensly 6xs a week and it's a lot and I'm able to eat a ridiculous amount of cals and still lose (I'm the exception though and not the rule).
3. I have no idea on this one.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:35 PM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

1) whatever works for you and that you will stick to

2) doubles can increase your burn. For me it is pretty significant, but dont START with doubles until you have worked your way up to being consistent with singles. Or make the second workout something gentle, like a moderately paced short walk and make it optional. You dont want exercise to become this major chore and forcing yourself to go twice a day may make you not want to go at all.

3) Who knows, and definitely not if it impacts your sleep. Lack of sleep for sure lowers your metabolism. I do get up early, but honestly I have an easier time sticking to my calorie count on the rare day I sleep in. Breakfast is later and dinner is at the same time. Fewer hours in between.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:29 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Pick whatever works for your schedule.

I sometimes "work out" 2 or 3 times a day on weekends. But it's not like I'm at the gym 3 times in a day. I'll go to a 1.5 hour yoga class, then meet friends for a couple of hours of mountain biking, and that evening I'll bike to the ocean for a swim.

Yes, it's all technically exercise but it's also just stuff I love to do.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #6  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

There's a lot of good advice above, I agree that the time of day doesn't really matter. Calories burned is still calories burned, so you may as well do it when it feels best for you and works best with your schedule. I personally go straight to the gym after work so that way I garuntee I can get a work out in before I even think about doing anything else.

I don't typically work out twice a day, I try to go to the gym once ever day so that if I miss a day because of something, it's not so bad. But I will take walks and stuff even if I have worked out that day. It's like a bonus work out. I don't really see the need to plan two work outs as I know I'm losing a bit slower, but that's fine as long as I lose.

I've never heard the third before, I've always been early to bed and early to get up and that doesn't make a difference with me. I have a lot of skinny friends who sleep in :P haha
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:04 PM   #7  
I can, I will, I do

S/C/G: Goal: 130

Height: 5'6"

Thanks everyone I appreciate the advice!
Avezy44 is offline   Reply With Quote