Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

Default Putting your all into it

Do you guys find when you exercise you exercise, but sometimes you just dont put much effort in to it.. you still do the same things and you dont lose the motivation to DO it... but just dont Push hard..

What are some of the ways you guys PUSH hard and really make it?
I'm really struggling with this right now.. any tips/advice would be great
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/175/125

i went jogging today, and found myself not putting enough effort into in. my heart rate was on the low side, and i could speak entire sentences. what really helps me push myself is some really great music. I LOVE listening to really energetic songs, like madonna or lady gaga, whatever. it personally helps me a lot.
therex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

I actually think it's better not to put your all into every single day. If your exercise routine requires every inch of available willpower on your best days, there's no way you'll do it when you have a string of complicated, stressful days eating up your willpower.

I work hard, don't get me wrong. But I don't think giving it your all everyday is a sustainable lifestyle.

And, honestly, my "most" is way more than my "all" was 3 months ago, so I am not worries about it. My "most" in 3 months will hopefully be more than my "all" is today.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:29 PM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Yesterday I gave it my all. Today I gave it my pretty good. I agree it is best to vary effort as well as other factors.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:30 PM   #5  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Taking a class. When an instructor is urging us on, I'll push myself harder, to please that person, and also to keep up with the rest of the class.

And this helps me in my solitary workouts as well. I've ridden a stationery bike for years, usually set at intervals, when there are harder moments & then easier moments. But I never tried sprinting during the easier moments till I learned in spin class that I was actually capable of really going all out for a couple minutes. I would not have known I had it in me till the instructor pushed us in class.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:40 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

I don't always give it my 100%, gosh I'd burn out!! Nothing wrong with taking easy, medium and hard days, it keeps your body guessing anyways...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:15 AM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I second the class notion. I had Spin this morning and wasn't quite into it. But I know I gave my all simply because the class really demands it.

Other than that, we all have on days and off days. I think the routine of just doing it is the most important things. The "all out" days will return.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:50 AM   #8  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

I will admit to occasionally timing my workouts when I know the hot guy at the gym will be there. I am much more hardcore when he is there for some reason.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:10 PM   #9  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I am more hardcore if my trainer is just there! I don't know if it's because he's not hard to look at or if I really do find him just that motivational.

Last edited by Eliana; 05-28-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #10  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

Pmsl, I always find I work harder when the gym's personal trainer or some other buff guy is around!
I do have days where I work harder than others, sometimes depends on how much energy I have, other times it's just my mood, but I don't think there's any harm in it. Good days, bad days, at least we're exercising.
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #11  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

You know, I'd work harder if our gym's hottest guy would be impressed by it. But I have been in the third row of machines when the hot guy was, and I've seen the direction of his stare during a long cardio session, when he tends to zone out. And he was looking pretty fixedly at the blonde with "Juicy" across her butt who was leisurely walking on the treadmill, while chewing gum & flipping through a magazine, and who wasn't sweating at all. So if that's what attracts him, I need 1) hair extensions; 2) a new Juicy Couture workout wardrobe; 3) to take it easier; and 4) a genetically spectacular butt, since she didn't get it from her treadmill work.

That's probably just my gym's hot guy, though. The hot guys at other gyms might have higher standards than ours, who is clearly a rather disappointing specimen.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:20 PM   #12  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post

That's probably just my gym's hot guy, though. The hot guys at other gyms might have higher standards than ours, who is clearly a rather disappointing specimen.
Ahhh. yes. My gym's hot guy is really into fitness. He was probably more impressed with my Boston race than I was. I also have never caught him obviously ogling anyone (including me...sigh) but at least a tough workout seems to impress. Or at least I imagine it does, which is just as good.

My gym seems to have a fair number of men in their 40's ish who seem more impressed by the tough workout than the college girls. Probably because most of them work at the college across the street.

Last edited by ennay; 05-28-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #13  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

saef

I work out hard when I'm feeling it, and moderately when I'm not feeling it. I usually feel it two to three times per week, and the rest of the time I'm just getting it done. I still enjoy what I do, but if I don't have it in me to push, then I don't have it in me to push.

There are all sorts of variables...time of day (I am a night person and so working out hard is easier for me in the afternoon), what I'm eating (more calories equals harder work), how I slept (better sleep, work harder), and then many unknown factors.

When I feel like working hard, I do it, and I impress myself, and I'm pleased. When I feel like all I can do is work moderately, I do that, and forgive myself and know that a really good workout is coming sometime in the near future.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #14  

You all have me cracking up about your gym's hot guy... I am not sure what ours is into exactly, but he seems drawn to the girl who works out in sports bras & the boy shorts. Not sure how those don't end up in places they shouldn't...but that's another topic.

As far as motivation goes, I get motivated by mini goals that I set for myself. I sometimes set up a reward for them, sometimes not. Run a mile w/out stopping, bench press 100lbs, have nice shoulders by X date, build up my calves a little. all of the little goals aren't just things I can hop up and do, I have to work myself up to it. Little piece to a big puzzle require daily work, and it can be easy work or hard work. Even if I'm having a bad day, I can put something on the bench & press it, ya know?

I am also motivated by knowing our gym is crawling w/trainers and I don't want them looking at me like I don't know what I'm doing & should hire a trainer! I want my form & execution perfect when trainers are around (which seems to be always!) I don't want to be the example for *you need a trainer because you look sorta fat AND do stuff wrong!*

I think my greatest motivator may be my heart rate monitor though, you can tell when you have a good day & a bad day based off of your calorie burn. You know when you've been slacking or wasted a workout. and when you know what's going on as it's happening, it's easy to step up your game & correct the situation before you leave the gym by pushing harder.
vonvonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

im glad im not the only one.. i see it as "well at least im doing SOMETHING" haha

thanks guys
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote