Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-25-2010, 09:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/230/128

Height: 5'4

Default Advice Needed Please

I could really use some help! When I met my husband I was in awesome shape. Then I started conforming to his eating habits and no longer exercised. Well, 13 years and four kids later I am very overweight. On April 12, 2010 I changed my eating to mostly raw foods and going to the gym everyday. Since April 12th I have lost 24 pounds (238-214). I am at a stand still now and have lost nothing in about a week.

If I change my exercise routine will it help boost the weightloss again?

Currently, I am doing: (seven days a week)

-33 min on the AMT (Precor) which is a X between the stairmaster the elliptical. (resistance set at 9/10)
-33 min on the elliptical (incline 6/10 and 5 resistance)
-20 min on the stairmaster

I was wondering since all these machines are somewhat close and/or a mix of each other should I maybe sub the stairmaster for the exercise bike?

Should I add in something else? At home I have a mountain bike, treadmill, exercise bike, bow flex, and all of the wii fitness games/programs.

Any suggestions would be truly appreciated.
Dendrobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:32 PM   #2  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

You lost 24 lbs in approximately 5 weeks (almost 5 lbs/week) and lost nothing for 1 week.

Weight loss is not linear. 1 week is too soon to panic

You lost a lot of weight very very quickly. Some of it was water, some of it was fat. The body now has to readjust.

I would not change a thing for at least 2 more weeks.

If you do want to mix up your exercise I would go with the bowflex to start on strength training.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5.5

I would agree 1 week is too soon to question your program.

As far as your fitness I would add intervals to your cardio, maybe even mix in some sprints to the treadmill, and definitley add resistance training. You should be changing your fitness routines around every 2 - 4 weeks to prevent boredom and to challenge your body.
Fitin10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:05 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 145/136.5/124

Height: 5'5"

Definitely add strength training to your routine! It will help burn calories faster and when you are losing so much weight so fast - it will help your skin from becoming overly "saggy" in areas. Strength training is a miracle worker. If you don't know what to do, maybe try getting a strength training workout video, but I'm sure your bowflex can cover the strength part
Denise24 is offline   Reply With Quote