Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/237/140

Height: 5'7

Question Cardio work out routine?

Ok...so first off...so far this week I have lost 5.4 lbs just by watching what I am eating, NOT drinking any soda...just water, and taking a brisk walk in the evening. Today is going to be the first time (ever) going to a gym to work out. I am getting a yearly pass to the local community center that has a gym. I am wanting to do 3 days cardio and 2 days strength training.

My question is what is a good cardio routine, as far as what machines, how long on each, or if I should just do one machine? I am new to this but totally dedicated to changing my life. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Steph

SW 214.4
CW 208.8
GW 150
smccaleb06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:51 AM   #2  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Many times I saw other posters to recommend to do the form of cardio that you enjoy most because then you are most likely to stick with it. I happen to agree with this.
Why don't try the individual cardio machines at your gym and if you decide that the elliptical is the one you really enjoy, work out on the elliptical. If it's the treadmill, use the treadmill. And so on.
But cardio does not need to be only the in the form of a solitary. If your gym has Zumba or Spinning classes, I would encourage you to try those, both provide good cardio workouts.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #3  

Height: 5'2''

I love the elliptical! I have tried running on the treadmill but for me it hurts my joints/shins. I like to bike outdoors, and I do love a group cycling class (but not cycling indoors on my own) but if I am looking for cardio I will always choose the elliptical. If it has a scale of resistance 1-10 I would start with around 3 (on manual), then you can pick a time or distance goal. As you improve, you could try running intervals i.e. run for 1 minute at resistance 8 and then 1.5 minutes at resistance 3 to recover- this really helps the time go by and give you a good workout. Or you can find an elliptical that does incline and run intervals by increasing the incline. Hope this helps. It’s what works best for me, but it might not work best for you. Just find something you love and then it will be fun to do cardio. Good luck!

Last edited by tigger175; 03-03-2010 at 11:55 AM.
tigger175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/237/140

Height: 5'7

Thanks for the advice ladies...I am going to be headed to the gym soon so I will try different machines and see which I like best!!
smccaleb06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I like to change my cardio workout frequently. I'm always amazed at how quickly and efficiently my body becomes accustomed to a routine. When the exercise becomes easy, it's not as effective. With the machines, I can easily judge this by the HR monitor.

I love the elliptical. There are often a lot of programmable workouts to try. Same with the treadmill. I personally hate the stationary bike, but those are often there too. I love Tomato's suggestion of classes. Spinning is one heck of a great workout!

Congratulations on your awesome week!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote