Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-28-2010, 09:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 262.5/262.5/175

Height: 5'9"

Default Tips for going to the gym solo?

I work at a university and our fitness facility is great and reasonably priced.

I thinking about rejoining after a year off. I stopped going when I lost my fitness partner when she had a kid. After talking with her it doesn't sound like she will be wanting to return to a workout schedule.

Anybody have any tips about keeping the motivation going after the first week of enthusiasm? Anyway to lessen the chance I will hit snooze on the alarm when there is nobody waiting for me?

Sandy
262.5/262.5/175
nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 282/174/155

Height: 5" 6"

I put my gym days on my google calender, that way I get a reminder and there is something about having in writing
boxermom78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/see ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

If you're not a morning person, you don't have to go in the morning! I keep my gym bag in the car and head straight to the gym every tuesday and thursday after work, and saturday mornings (but not too early )
Scorpio1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:09 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 212/179/160 and TONED

Height: 5'8

I try to make my mornings as easy as possible. Gym clothes and ipod on top of the dresser, ready and waiting. All I have to do is get up, put them on, and head to the gym. It's incredibly effective for getting me out of bed.
thenicole84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:38 AM   #5  
Loving Life!

S/C/G: 230/220/120

Height: 5'0"

I go to the gym by myself 99% of the time. One thing I found is that going to the group classes has started making me feel accountable, now that I recognize and say hi to some of the regulars in the classes I go to. When I'm leaving and someone says "See you in class on Wednesday!", it's motivation to get my butt back there on Wed, even if I don't feel like it when Wed rolls around. If not, when I see them in class on Friday, they'll be all "Missed you on Wednesday!", and what am I going to say? "Yeah, I was lazy"? LOL

That looks a bit disjointed, I hope it made sense LOL
MakingSkinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

I've been going to the gym alone for 25 years ... I just got fed up of waiting/relying on someone... At first I would find good music to do cardio to, find good workout routines on line, I got a trainer once... Now, after all this time, it's just habit... I go in the evenings and if I miss I find the evening excruciatingly long, although I could be doing laundry or house work, but I don't
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 225/183/155

Height: 5'7"

definitely jump into some classes. get some good workout music. sign up for a couple of training sessions to learn the equipment and a routine.
lights76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 262.5/262.5/175

Height: 5'9"

Well, I joined and went today. My goal this week and next is to just get there and do some cardio. I'm trying to get everything in the bag and next to the door and just dress and go.

Classes are almost ready to switch with a new term so I will look at what's available in a couple of weeks.
nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #9  
I'M WORKING ON IT

S/C/G: 205/ticker/127

Height: 5'3"

I work out alone every day after work... I don't really like working out with someone else, so I don't really NEED motivation to keep going without someone kicking my butt... But I keep my gym bag packed and ready to go, and always have my iPod ready with a good workout playlist, and you have everything ready to go. It's not like I "forgot" to pack my gym bag, or "didn't have time" to do it. It's there, and if I don't go, then I'm lazy. That's my motivation, my accountability.
RienQueNny is offline   Reply With Quote