Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #1  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 165/142/123

Height: 5'3"

Default When is too much

So in general i don't like to exercise. I've always suffered from migraines, which for me are easily provoked by the sun, and so all my life any outdoor fitness has always been torturous. so any real exercise has always been limited to indoor activities like a gym or most recently, and exercise bike and treadmill.

i fell in love with these because they are inside and so my exercise is not accompanied by a migraine, and i can do them while i watch tv, or chat online. (im such a teenager lol)
once i convince myself to get out of my chair and onto the stationary bike, i can sit for what feels like forever, peddling away at a pretty steady pace.

but my question is, is there a limit to how long i should allow myself to walk or peddle away?
i know that for other exercises, like weight lifting, theres a limit to how often how much you can do, before its not beneficial but will be harmful to both the body and weight loss.
is the same true for cardio and such?
100percentME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:28 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

I read somewhere that multiple hours of cardio a day is not good- but it was something like over 3 hours a day?

Only time I can think that exercise is not beneficial is when you have any sort of pain or feel weak/dizzy. Other than that I say go at it
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 256/253/199

I'm definitely not an expert; but I think you need to start out slow (an hour or less a day) and pay attention to your body. It will tell you what's too much.

(Of course, I have NO experience really. And I'm meeting with a trainer on Thursday who may tell me different. )
SugarJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 375/187/167

I actually asked my trainer about this just this week. I have gradually built up the length of time for my sessions over the last 18 months or so and for me she told me 90 minutes 5 times a week is fine for me. She said the main thing is that you listen to your body and if getting aches and pains then rest, also ensure you get your rest days in.
kkazz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:00 AM   #5  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

Too much is: you hurt yourself, it interferes with your life, it takes too big a chunk of your paycheck or it drives your friends away
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote