Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

Default Question for the runners

I'm so excited to kind of consider myself a runner. Anyway, here's my question. I just started the C25K program and I think I may have the wrong shoes for me...?

The only running I have really done is indoors but I'm not at all new to exercise so I know the problem isn't because of the actual running (I think). I've been using my Nike sneakers daily for months now for my indoor running and various other dvd workouts etc with no problems so I'm not sure if my feet are just not used to the rough outdoor terrain (and it WAS rough, so much ice and snow on the sidewalks), or if it's my sneakers.

Anyway, I woke up this morning with a really bad blister that must have popped overnight and is now kind of bloody and sketchy looking and painful, I apologize for the TMI. So my question is, after much rambling, is this a sign that my sneakers are not right for me? I have been thinking they may be a little too tight... Or is it just pure chance that this happened the day after starting outdoor running? If it's perfectly normal then that's fine, I've just never had one before so I'm curious about it. I know many people will suggest getting fitted for shoes, which sounds wonderful, but it isn't realistic for me, financially, at the moment.

So, bad shoes or should I suck it up? lol
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:09 AM   #2  
this space for rent

S/C/G: 274/274/140

Height: 5'8"

thats unfortunate that you can't pull getting fitted because my first thought is that you need new shoes. also, what socks are you wearing? cotton socks can hold moisture.
eroica27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Are you running in the same sneakers you were in at your highest weight? If so, you DEFINITELY need some new ones. Sneakers are good for about 500 miles and then they need replacing.

I had old Nike shoes I did yard work in. When I first began running, I made myself run in those. LOL--I wanted to make sure I was going to stick with it before investing money. About 3 months into running I finally got myself a nice pair of New Balance at the New Balance store. Ah, Heaven.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Hey--on the fitted thing--this is what you do!!!

Go to a couple of running shops and get fitted! It is free! Be analyzed--get advice!! When you find what you like write it down--the style, model, etc. Look for it through Amazon or Ebay. I haven't done this with shoes but I just got $130 pair of Lucky jeans off Ebay for $25 doing just that.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

Awesome ideas!!!
eroica27: I hadn't thought about the socks, I used hubby's BIG cotton socks because they're warm but I doubt they wick sweat well, I'll have to look into that!

Thighs: Yes, these are the same shoes I've used all along. It does make sense that I'd need new ones by now, with the weight change and everything. That's a great idea about finding the shoes elsewhere. I'd feel a little awkward not buying the shoes after having the sales people show me them and analyze my feet, but I think I could manage it lol.

Thanks for the great ideas!
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

You might get lucky though and they could have shoes that fit you on sale. I bought a pair of running shoes for $25 from a running store last time I went.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #7  
this space for rent

S/C/G: 274/274/140

Height: 5'8"

also talk to the folks you get fitted by...they may have some solutions for the finance side (sales and whatnot)...as for warmth i use legwarmers. i bought mine at claire's
eroica27 is offline   Reply With Quote