Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-20-2009, 10:55 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Ammelum, I was surprised when I started doing yoga how many poses were things pretty traditional P.E. or calisthenics and such in general.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:03 AM   #17  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

I started doing pilates to manage MS fatigue... like three years ago.. then a year ago, I started a stressful job that basically forced me into yoga (so I switched from pilates totally).

Now I go to lunch hour classes twice a week. Yoga has taught me a lot, but the biggest thing has been to accept myself the way I am. I started yoga a couple months after i hit my hundred pounds lost mark, and it's been brutal for my weight loss, because my motivation was based on my ability to hate my body.

ha ha. everything said and done. I've started meditating (led in a class by my yoga instructor) now in addition to yoga. It's been really great. I stick to hatha and relaxation poses before bed... it's been great to see my hamstrings open up.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #18  
Busy Mom

S/C/G: 132/132/120

Height: 5'3"

I love the way it sculpts muscles and makes them long and lean. I think my DH got me the yoga DVD I wanted for Christmas. I love that he is so supportive.

So I have a couple of questions for you all.

1) Knowing there are different types of yoga, which do you prefer and why?

2) Do you have a favorite DVD? And why?
ammelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:29 PM   #19  
In the desert...

I took an 8 week session for total beginners a while ago, and I loved it - I'd always wanted to try yoga, but couldn't find a true "teaching" class. My gym offers classes but it's more for those who know the poses and just want to be led through them. I would like to try more yoga - I'm not sure what the type was I did, but it was the basics like sun salutation, down dog, warrior etc. I really want to try Bikram yoga as the idea of the warm (hot as heck???) room sounds like it would help my super-tight muscles (particularly my hamstrings and hips, from running and being heavy).

The other things is - Netflix has a TON of yoga DVDs and even some on "play instantly", and that's a really good way to try the DVD before you buy it. I detest nothing more than spending $15 or so on a DVD only to hate the instructor, music, etc.
julesp313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 04:25 AM   #20  
Kay

S/C/G: 214.5/TICKER/130

Height: 5'3"

There's a plus sized model named Megan Garcia who started developing yoga classes specifically for larger women. I just ordered a copy of her book, Megayoga--I've heard it's phenomenal! She also has a set of DVDs that have been discontinued, but which you can find on Amazon/eBay/etc. easily.

I think this is a really cool concept...it's all the same poses as a regular yoga practice, but modified slightly to account for the extra weight. I'll let you ladies know how the book is!
polarisx89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:14 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/140

Height: 5'4

Without using videos, how do yall construct your yoga sequences? Im just getting started and feel kind of lost
SugarRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

SugarRox, I did a lot of reading, but that suits my personality.

A common guide is to start with Sun Salutations, then standing poses, then some backbends, some twists, some forward bends, and closing.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 12-30-2009 at 11:52 AM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote