Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 309.6/296.4/150

Height: 5' 6"

I just joined 3FC forums and I'm happy to have found this thread! I enjoyed the article and I am starting to work with a trainer tomorrow (joined the gym today). I will keep the advice in the article in mind when I go! Thanks!

Gina
gshillitani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:08 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 180/180/140

Height: 5'6

Wink

I just printed this ~ thanks!
nona337am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #18  
from Here to There...

S/C/G: 256.2 lbs/241.2 lbs/120 lbs

Height: 5'4"

Great link. I especially like the gradual increase shown in the 12-week 'program'.
SeaWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:40 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 214.5/see ticker/132

Height: 5'2''

Many Thanks for sharing this article/ website.
I think I will find not only a lot of new ideas, but also how to implement more exercise gradually and safely.

Thanks!
beni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:18 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 193/174/150

that was a really great article! my biggest issue, though, seems to be have more to do with motivation. I seem able to find MANY reasons to not fit any type of exercise into my day, and often talk myself out of some b/c I think, you know, just walking around the block isn't even enough exercise to be worth it. anybody find any ways to finally get over this motivation hurdle?
Ardella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:51 PM   #21  
I know I can,I know I can

S/C/G: 293/161/145

Height: 5.4

Great Post thanks Nellie
Oh_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:04 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 225/225/125

Height: 5'5

thanks so much for this site I was really wondering where i would start from and think i'm gonna use this starter program and see how it works i think i can handle 2 or 3 days of working out and start off easy then work my way to longer workouts and more days..Thanks Again for this!!!
amanda8o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #23  
Determined to reach goal!

S/C/G: 224/201.0/150

Height: 5'7

Great article thank you! I've been finding the cardio in my workouts really tough, but have been reluctant to do more weight training. Not anymore!
takingcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:33 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 292/290/150

Height: 5'7"

Thank you for sharing
Astrida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #25  
taking one day at a time

S/C/G: 203/180/135

Height: 5' 4 (5'5? measured at clinic)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardella View Post
that was a really great article! my biggest issue, though, seems to be have more to do with motivation. I seem able to find MANY reasons to not fit any type of exercise into my day, and often talk myself out of some b/c I think, you know, just walking around the block isn't even enough exercise to be worth it. anybody find any ways to finally get over this motivation hurdle?
I know this is an old post but I'm responding for anyone thinking the same or for the OP if they are still around.

My motivation is the scales and seeing myself improve. I love food and would find it hard to have any weight loss if I didn't exercise. I also set mini targets that I'm enjoying beating. For instance when I started walking to the local supermarket instead of using the car, it took half an hour just to get there using the "easy" (flatter hills) route. 5 weeks later and I can get there and back in that time!
mom24uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:26 PM   #26  
Crazy, hectic life

S/C/G: 193/186/135

Height: 5'6"

soo helpful!!!
lunachik2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Stumptuous.com is a great site with lots of info but there was an article posted titled "No Fat Chicks" on it.

The article basically says that most exercise isn't meant for overweight beginners. It has some advice and a beginning workout plan.

If you don't know where to start, it is a great place to start. Even if you aren't overweight, it has some really good tips and Stumptuous.com definitely deserves to be read by anyone interested in fitness.

I know I'm responding to an old post, but the information in the article is right on. I am 65 years old and overweight. When I started my exercise program in January I was walking on a treadmill for 15 minutes at 1.5 mph. I did this for a couple weeks, then added the elliptical for 4 minutes. I was sweating when I finished my "workout". As time went on, I found that I could go longer and longer, adding a minute each day or so, and also increasing my intensity. After reaching a total of 30 min each on the treadmill and elliptical, I decided to add weights. That was a laugh. I was using the weight station my son left at home when he moved out. I could hardly move the things! But every time a weight got "easy" I added more weight. I am still at it, 5 months later. I was told at cardiac rehab to exercise 300 minutes a week. Yesterday, I did 105 minutes of exercise. It is now exhilerating. I will never look like a 20 something body builder, but I am stronger and healthier. I am still struggling with my diet and weight loss is very slow, but I feel so much better. My blood pressure has dropped and my meds have been cut back, and I'm working on lowering my blood sugar. So it can be done no matter how old or fat you are. You just have to start out slow and keep at it. If you go to an aerobics class or do an aerobic tape, modify. Instead of kicking when everyone else is kicking, just slightly lift your foot. Because you are so out of shape, that will be aerobic FOR YOU. You won't get that terrible soreness that makes everyone quit and eventually, you will be kicking with the best of them. You can do it!

Carol
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:49 AM   #28  

Awesome article! Thanks so much for posting : )
sweetgirly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 228/221/150

Height: 5'10"

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks Neli for the post great information!
bonitakeyvaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #30  
Fattie for the Win!

S/C/G: 270/232/140

I just found this and it's awesome- thank you, Nelie!

I've been going to the gym for just over a week now and I'm meeting with a trainer tomorrow- I definitely plan on talking about this article and incorporating strength training into my new routine!
MagdalenaRaela is offline   Reply With Quote