Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #16  
Ready to be skinny!

S/C/G: 238/221!!!/180

Height: 5'11

Yay Marbear!!! :clap: I would totally LOVE to follow you! I was trying to find that too, and I couldn't.
Since i'm running on my treadmill, I just copied what I was supposed to do on a post-it right above the clock/stop-watch...Maybe, if you're running outside, you can post-it (or tape) It to the back of you iPod or something? Do you have an iPod?
evieistrying09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:51 PM   #17  
Ready to be skinny!

Oh, lol I just totally realized in my avatar pic you can see my treadmill with a towel over it in the background. It's not covered up any more!!! Yay!!!

Thank guys so much!
Old 09-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 232/tick/150

Height: 5'8"

Hmmm... I think...

I grew up in the country, so running outside was never a problem. Now I live in a city and it drives me CRAZY to wait every block for the little "walk" light so I don't become mush in the middle of the road. Makes running for a set period of time hard. I have an elliptical machine at home for days when I'm too lazy to do anything esle... but I just thought of the fact that I have free access to my college's gym I'd "pay" for. There's a campus like 3 miles down the street - closer than any gym - and I could use a treadmill there 3 times a week.

A treadmill will make keeping track of the time much easier, as I tend to fall if running while wearing a watch... Plus, I wouldn't have to stop for anything other than being done!

The true test will be if I can get myself up tomorrow at 5:45am to go before work!

Last edited by marbear24; 09-09-2009 at 03:16 PM.
marbear24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #19  
Ilene the Bean

way to go girls !!!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:13 PM   #20  
Ready to be skinny!

Marbear: I think you totally should go for it! I see i'm not the only klutz while running?

Ilene: Thanks!!!

You guys were all such a big help! Love ya!
Old 09-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I've just started running. I warm up with about 5 min walking, then jog/slow run for 1 min, then walk briskly for 2-3 min, then another min of jogging/slow running, and so on for about 30 min. Try not to push yourself to fast or far right off the bat. If you start slow and let your body adjust, you'll be moving up your time and speed before you know it!
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #22  
Ready to be skinny!

Aclai: That sounds exactly like the C25K plan! (At least for the first week)

Love it. Can you tell?
Old 09-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #23  
Lose the holiday lbs!

S/C/G: 174/163.8/150

Height: 5.7 ft

oh wow this is an awesome thread!! i too cant run for more than 1 minute!

great advice given by all! you girls are great!!

and thanks Evi for this thread!

i will check out the couch 2 5k thread thingy and podcasts
thanks !

i'm subscribing to this thread too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclai4067 View Post
I've just started running. I warm up with about 5 min walking, then jog/slow run for 1 min, then walk briskly for 2-3 min, then another min of jogging/slow running, and so on for about 30 min. Try not to push yourself to fast or far right off the bat. If you start slow and let your body adjust, you'll be moving up your time and speed before you know it!
hey thats awesome! that's what i do now, i run for about 1-2 minutes, and then walk for a couple of minutes.
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:45 PM   #24  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I don't use running as a regular form of exercise now and I never did it outside, I have only done running/jogging in place inside, not the same I know but anyway, I can do that for 40 minutes which is awesome to me since I started out walking in place for 10-15 minutes at a time.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:52 PM   #25  

Height: 5'11"

People who are reading this thread and secretly want to be a runner--you CAN! The chicks posting here are proof of that. When I started, I was exhausted after the first few paces. I could barely do a block, never mind a lap at the track. Last night I ran over 2 miles without a break.

Someone up thread (Ilene, maybe?) gave advice to SLOW DOWN. It's one of the best pieces of advice* anyone gave me early on. I thought that "running" literally meant, "run as if a bad guy or a big scary dog is chasing you and your life depends on it". LOL! Nope. To me, it now means, "Run in the technical sense of the word; two feet are off the ground at the same time, so you are running." I do an easy, relaxed jog; that is my running pace. I won't win any races but I like it.

*The other best piece of advice? Listen to your body. My brain starts right in on me after just a minute or two. "Shouldn't we stop and walk now? This is kind of hard and you're puffing. Maybe you should walk for a minute." But when I listen to my body, it's saying, "I'm fine. My breathing is fine, my legs are fine, I feel relaxed and can keep going." So I don't listen to my Mrs. Couch Potato Head; she is full of baloney.

I loved C25K because it got me started, but I didn't finish the program. I couldn't take the music any more; faux-Euro-techno-dance isn't my genre of choice, LOL. So now I just have my mp3 player loaded with songs that have the beat I like and off I go.

Keep going. I believe that if you have an inner runner and you really want to do this, you can.

Last edited by Windchime; 09-13-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:06 PM   #26  
Lose the holiday lbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
People who are reading this thread and secretly want to be a runner--you CAN! The chicks posting here are proof of that. When I started, I was exhausted after the first few paces. I could barely do a block, never mind a lap at the track. Last night I ran over 2 miles without a break.

Someone up thread (Ilene, maybe?) gave advice to SLOW DOWN. It's one of the best pieces of advice* anyone gave me early on. I thought that "running" literally meant, "run as if a bad guy or a big scary dog is chasing you and your life depends on it". LOL! Nope. To me, it now means, "Run in the technical sense of the word; two feet are off the ground at the same time, so you are running." I do an easy, relaxed jog; that is my running pace. I won't win any races but I like it.

*The other best piece of advice? Listen to your body. My brain starts right in on me after just a minute or two. "Shouldn't we stop and walk now? This is kind of hard and you're puffing. Maybe you should walk for a minute." But when I listen to my body, it's saying, "I'm fine. My breathing is fine, my legs are fine, I feel relaxed and can keep going." So I don't listen to my Mrs. Couch Potato Head; she is full of baloney.

I loved C25K because it got me started, but I didn't finish the program. I couldn't take the music any more; faux-Euro-techno-dance isn't my genre of choice, LOL. So now I just have my mp3 player loaded with songs that have the beat I like and off I go.

Keep going. I believe that if you have an inner runner and you really want to do this, you can.
thanks windchime! thats soo motivational!!! i cant wait to be able to run for more than 1 or 2 minutes at a time hehe
thats really AWESOME advice. really appreciate it!
Old 09-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #27  
Lose the holiday lbs!

I just checked out the link of the couch to 5 k. and printed it out!!

i also downloaded the week 1 podcast

okay i'm excited to try it! i'm gonna try it.

in the past i've managed to clock up 10 minutes of running time, but i would walk for longer than 1 and half minutes. and takes me an hour to clock up 10 minutes of running. hehe so this is going to be a good challenge for me!

Last edited by Echo; 09-13-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #28  
Lose the holiday lbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederchic View Post
I don't use running as a regular form of exercise now and I never did it outside, I have only done running/jogging in place inside, not the same I know but anyway, I can do that for 40 minutes which is awesome to me since I started out walking in place for 10-15 minutes at a time.
wow that is awesome. running on the spot is quite the workout!! in some of the p90x warm ups, we do that.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 280/172/170

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
ditto what everyone else sais!! Great advice all around!! If youre feeling that incredibly uncomfortable and fatigued and out of breath when you try running, just run SLOWER.....it doesnt matte rif your *run* is slower than your walk!!! A lot of pepes think they need to go all out when they run and push as hard as they can.......thats why its so hard........even if you feel you are jogging at a ridiculously slow pace, if its a pace you can MAINTAIN, then it is the RIGHT pace!! Good luck!!
This is what I learned! I am still working on the running thing, but I can jog even if it is slow. If I go faster I get too out of breath and can't go far...so now I am just trying to jog at a slow pace, walk then slow pace jog again. I get so much farther and feel more confident about that than trying to run a marathon right away!
Thanks for confirming this!
Dagny18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #30  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
wow that is awesome. running on the spot is quite the workout!! in some of the p90x warm ups, we do that.

Thanks Echo
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote