Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #1  
Don't Stop Me Now!

S/C/G: 205/177/145

Height: 5-10

Default My First 5K!

Hi, everyone!

I just signed up for my first 5K! I am super excited and super scared - I can't believe this is something I am even considering, let alone looking forward to with confidence.

My friend and I have been running in the mornings about 4 days a week for about 6 or 7 weeks, and have been loving it more than we ever expected!

Any tips from experienced runners?
sharongracepjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:55 PM   #2  
Goddess of my universe

S/C/G: 221/see ticker/128

Height: 5' 7"

Wow! Just getting to this point is a major accomplishment, I am cheering for you.
borntobefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:01 AM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Congratulations! You're going to have a blast. My main advice is to make sure you don't get swept up into a faster pace right at the beginning of the race (easy to do when you're excited and surrounded by other runners who may take off at warp speed) and to HAVE FUN!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:19 AM   #4  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

I totally understand where you're coming from. When I signed up earlier this year I was in the same boat. I never even imagined I'd ever run let alone do a 5k in my life. But, I did it. In fact, I ran two 5k races this year and I feel so happy doing it. My main focus was to finish the race and have fun.

When is your race?
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:52 AM   #5  
Don't Stop Me Now!

S/C/G: 205/177/145

Height: 5-10

Thanks, everyone!!!

The race is September 20 - it's a sunrise race through a historic Detroit cemetery, and I love exploring cemeteries, so I think it will be very cool. We're thinking of doing another one a week or so later that benefits domestic violence outreach, so the cemetery one can be kind of a "practice," and if it goes terribly, we can take the lessons we learn to the next one and end the summer with a positive race memory!

Thanks for the tip, Tyler! (and great screen name, btw )That makes a lot of sense.
sharongracepjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Congrats on taking this step! Think about how great you will feel when you cross the finish line and have a 5k under your belt. Impressive!

Good luck and thanks for the inspiration!

Cheers,

J
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #7  

on taking plunge!! Through a cemetary at dawn? How cool is that!!

My suggestion would also be to take your time, it's about being in the moment, enjoy!!
3fcuser1058250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:58 AM   #8  
Slow and Steady

Height: 5' 9"

I know exactly how you feel. I just signed up for my first 5k thanks to all the wonderful & supportive people on this board. So I have no tips/advice (yet!). You are going to do great! And I am super excited for you! Good luck & congrats on taking a huge step toward a major fitness goal! Great job!
AbbySinthe is offline   Reply With Quote