Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-23-2009, 07:57 AM   #16  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

I just have a silly rebock watch type heart rate and my resting {sitting calm} is about 55 and when I am full out doing P90X plyo I can only get it to say 145???????I know it must be higher by my panting? By the time I put my fingers on the spots my heart rate has slowed SOOOOOOOOOOOO frustrating!
I do exercise alot but I would think I could get a higher reading
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #17  
This time for sure!

S/C/G: 209 / 175 / 130

Height: 5'3"

Well devadiva, my resting HR is 70-80, so maybe if you start with a higher HR, you get a higher workout HR. I read a target/max HR formula somewhere that instead of using 220-age, used resting HR plus some number. I guess max is more variable than the little charts would have you think, and it sounds like it's hard to measure, so maybe resting HR is a better starting point.
LisaJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:23 AM   #18  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

I must be the only one here who doesn't use a HR monitor. I USED to, but I found that I was "working too hard" -- getting a high reading, but I was still feeling great!

So I just used to go on perceived exertion, especially during speed training...

I WAS going to post that if you go over your max heart rate, your HEART EXPLODES!!!

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:09 PM   #19  
This time for sure!

S/C/G: 209 / 175 / 130

Height: 5'3"

LOL Kira you should've seen me on the treadmill, watching that number creep up like it was nearing the red "DO NOT EXCEED!!!!" line from some overheating sci-fi device.
LisaJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:25 PM   #20  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiramira View Post
I must be the only one here who doesn't use a HR monitor. I USED to, but I found that I was "working too hard" -- getting a high reading, but I was still feeling great!

So I just used to go on perceived exertion, especially during speed training...

I WAS going to post that if you go over your max heart rate, your HEART EXPLODES!!!

Kira

I don't use a HR either.

You musta read my mind, I was gonna post about heart explosion too
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:20 AM   #21  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

I do just have to laugh at mine because I really can't work any harder and like in the middle of p90x hardcore WORKOUT... Tony the trainer who is "48" says his heartrate is l68 and he is not breathing as hard as I am {Iam 57} and he has stopped a million times I think WTF I take mine and it says 122 I think its the moniter plus my heart slows by the time I can get my fingers on the stupid little thingees sooo I just don't use it either!!!!
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:27 AM   #22  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Default But is there a point at which an increase in "fitness" is compromised?

Okay, so I understand from what you've all said here that when you hit your max HR, you'll know it, but I thought that if you were working above 90% of your max, you were no longer benefitting your heart and/or burning fat. Is that true? Is it harmful to your fitness and weight loss to go above a certain percentage of your heart rate?

Edited to add: I found this old post: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exer...bove-zone.html which had some information on this. It seems to say that if you exercise at around 70-80% of your max, you'll be doing the best for your heart health and your weight loss. If you go much above that, you're doing anaerobic exercise, which doesn't burn fat and which can be hard on your heart. Is that true?

Last edited by beachgal; 10-05-2009 at 12:47 PM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

I'm so glad I found this old thread. I have been freaked out because my hr keeps going up to 180 when I jog long distances

Last edited by katkitten; 09-23-2010 at 09:23 AM.
katkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #24  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

I'm glad you found this old thread, too.

I always was all 'hope I don't burst!' and kept going, haha.
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote