Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #1  
Don't Stop Me Now!

S/C/G: 205/177/145

Height: 5-10

Default Advice for a Running Hater

Hi chicks!

I'm new to this site and to the whole weight loss thing. I've never been a big fan of exercise and I have a serious emotional eating problem, but the past few weeks I've committed myself to making a change. The support of my real-life friends has worked wonders, so far, and I'm excited to get into this community, as well.

I need some advice about running. I've never enjoyed running but I admire the discipline of it and envy the "runner's high" I've heard so much about. As I've tried to get in to running the past couple weeks, however, I've found it to be very painful. A few summers ago I ran faithfully a couple times a week, so I'm familiar with how it "should" feel to have tired, unused legs and this is definitely a different pain. I never built up much endurance, but I could feel my legs getting stronger, back then, and I'm wondering why this is different. I end up just walking most of my time, which is a worse work-out and hits my morale.

Running is the best exercise available to my schedule and my budget, and I'm discouraged to have so much trouble matching my diet success with work-out success.

I'm wondering, is the difference because I'm heavier now? Or is my body changing now that I'm mid-20s and not a college student?

Any advice or tips are much appreciated! Thanks ladies!
sharongracepjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #2  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

I hate exercise too so I completely understand . However, when I did start working out (early last year) I was simply walking on the treadmill. I knew I wanted to run but I didn't put a definite time limit. Initially, I was slowly getting in the habit of "working out" regularly. Once, that was taken care of, I started running on the treadmill at a slow speed for few minutes at a time. To cut the long story short, I recently (past few months) started runninng outside. I am still not a speed runner as I run very slow but my goal is to build on it however long it takes. I eventually want to run 5-6 miles a day without feeling I am dying. At the moment, I can run 3.5 miles. The key is to keep at it consistently and endurance will come. If I can do it anyone can

Maybe you can walk for few weeks to get used to it and then slowly incorporate part running in your daily activity so as to not put too much strain. Lot of people follow Couch to 5k program (C25k) to start running and then build on it. I personally did not follow this program but I do know many people have found success with it. I didn't follow any specific program but just what my body was telling me what I can or cannot do.

I would highly recommend to get nice running shoes. Find a running shoe store in your area and let them fit you with proper shoes for your gait and style. Trust me, it helps a lot.

Edit: I definitely agree about the bra. Good sports bra is very essential . And, yes, it may seem a bit outlandish spending that much money on shoes and bra but it is worth every penny.

Hope this helps

Last edited by pintobean; 07-09-2009 at 10:55 AM.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Shoes are very important for running- cheap shoes will NOT cut it- specially if you are very overweight. Try roadrunner sports or a similar place you can go to get your feet checked and they pick the perfect shoes for your feet. I pay $150 for a pair of shoes- it sounds like a lot but hey it's your feet- if you don't take care of them you'll spend a LOT more in doctor bills due to foot problems.

I recommend the C25k if you are having difficulties. It's a running program called the couch to 5k. If you have a hard time running (like I did when I first started) this can help you become a better runner

Good luck!

ETA- lol yeah... the C25k is very popular!

Last edited by beerab; 07-09-2009 at 10:43 AM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Wow. I could have posted this a year ago. I hated to run. Basically, it was because I couldn't do it. I was too big and too out of shape for it to be comfortable. Just like you though, it fit my schedule. I liked the price too. When I would see a runner, it was appealing to me.

So, I started. My first few times I could only go about 1/10th a mile. Slowly, slowly I built. Please, please, PLEASE do not negate the power of walking. I power walked for several months before I could run. When I began to run, I alternated it with power walking during workouts because I couldn't run very far. Without knowing it, I was running HIIT. (High Intensity Interval Training) It is believed to be the MOST efficient way to burn fat.

You can do this. One step at a time. I love to run now. My body yearns to do it actually. I have no problem running 4-5 miles at a time now. It has definitely become my drug of choice.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I ran in cheap sneakers for a few weeks and then rewarded myself w/good ones a couple of months in. I like my New Balance 768's. Also, get yourself a good sports bra. I like the tanks with the shelf bra built in.

For me, a good shoes and bra are essential. The rest is fluff.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #6  
Don't Stop Me Now!

Wow, thanks so much, guys! Very encouraging input.

I am trying to stay disciplined with the walking, and it's so encouraging to hear that this can build me toward more tolerable running. Someone told me that the muscle groups were totally different, so it wouldn't make a difference to walk consistently. I'm glad to know that I might be one of those lean runners one day!

There's a high school track right across the street from me so I've been going there because it gives me a concrete measurement of what I'm doing each time. Your story looks like it's something I could get to eventually, pintobean! I will probably never be speedy, but I'd like to have endurance.

The bra is definitely a good note since I have quite a bit going on up there Currently I am wearing two, which gets the job done, but once budget allows I would love to spring for a better one!

Also, thanks for reinforcing the importance of good shoes. Again, the budget just doesn't allow it right now, but there is a great little running store very close to me that I plan to visit once I can save up the money - like you said, Thighs Be Gone, make do with the cheap ones until I'm running for real.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and your tips! I really appreciate it - it's been discouraging to see so many "Beginning Runner's Tips" on the internet that don't address what to do if you're not even up to running yet. Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one!
Old 07-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

YW! If you can't afford the good shoes just yet maybe get some insoles at least just to help
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #8  

Height: 5'11"

I started Couch to 5K in June and was recently sidelined by asthma so I have returned to walking for a few weeks until I get things under control. Running is great and I could see a difference in weight loss, but do you know when the consistent weight loss started for me? In mid-April, when I started walking. My hips and thighs are considerably slimmer and firmer than when I started and my cardiovascular endurance is much, much better. So yeah, running is great and I can't wait to get back to it, but walking has made a HUGE difference to how my figure looks and how I feel. I don't stroll or mosey, though--I'm booking right along through 3.5 miles with no resting except for when I need an asthma (gasping) break.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #9  
Don't Stop Me Now!

Hi chicks! Just wanted to update you all after all your generous encouragement...so I've been faithfully walking for a couple weeks now, most days at lunch and most evenings, sometimes with hand weights. Well last night I decided to try running some and it was amazing! I actually enjoyed it and ran more than I walked! So you all were right - walking and getting stronger pays off. Who knows if I'll continue to enjoy it yet. But I'm getting somewhere!
Old 07-23-2009, 10:27 AM   #10  
Don't Stop Me Now!

PS I wrote a more in-depth post on my blog and tried to post the link, but it won't let me because I guess I'm still too new So let me know if you want to read it and I can message the link to you or something!