Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-20-2009, 11:18 PM   #1  
addicted.

S/C/G: 270/270/150

Height: 5'7"

Default When to exercise? (suggestions welcome)

So my story is that dh works long hours (we also have two young children). He is usually out of the house by 5:00AM and not home until around 6:00PM.

In the past I have tried waking up early to do exercise tapes, but never stick with it because I get so bored. (excuse? probably.) Plus, waking up at 5:00AM is hard.

Then, I did C25K for quite awhile. I would run after dinner when he was home. I eventually quit that for who knows what reason...BUT, now I'm having a hard time getting motivated because I just want to sit and relax once the kids are in bed. I feel like I spend my whole day doing things for everyone else that when the kids are sleeping I just want to sit and have some time for myself. (excuse? probably.)

We also have a gym membership. They do offer daycare but I have never used it (mostly for my own lack of self-confidence & not wanting to work out in front of others). My husband and I tried to put them in it once and my youngest cried so we pulled him out. I think I could work him up to staying there....BUT I will feel guilty putting them in there.

For those of you who use the gym & childcare, do you use it daily? How long do you stay? Do the kids hate going after awhile?

Thanks! and please, tell me what works for you. how do you fit exercise in?

Last edited by Cinnamon; 05-20-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Cinnamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:14 AM   #2  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

I find what works best for me is to work out early in the morning - first thing. On work days, I can go to our onsite gym before work, which is awesome and very convenient! On weekends, I do my running early, before it gets hot and so it doesn't impact my weekend chores and activities.

My kids are big, so child care is no longer an issue. But, the best time slot is the one that works well for YOUR schedule, that you can stick to consistently.

When I started working out, it was hard. It's still hard, but I've grown to really enjoy it and consider it the best "me-time" that I get. It IS time for myself that makes me feel great and it's great for me. The energy and positive mental attitude I get from exercise helps me be more effective in life, home and work. It helps me be a better mom. So - carving out the time, making it a priority, and DOING it, is one of the best things you can do for yourself.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Height: 5'8"

I think there are some studies that show people who exercise first thing in the morning stick to it the longest. I think it's ultimately personal decision based on each circumstance. As for me, the only time I've been able to workout consistently is in the morning. There are too many things that get in the way during the day. I am not a morning person by any means, but now that it's just part of my routine, I don't even think about it. As soon as I get up, I change and head out the door.
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #4  
addicted.

Thanks for your responses.

Working out in the morning means that I would have to just do work out tapes...and I just don't stick to them. I can't go anywhere in the morning because I would have to get up before 4:00AM to get back before my husband leaves...and that's just not happening.

Also, I think it's so great that some people seem to grow to love exercise. I just have never gotten that way. I think it has a lot to do with my past issues (over exercising). Even when I did C25K for over 2 months...I never WANTED to do it. I always had to force myself. I never saw it as "me" time. I dreaded it.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Cinnamon, how long have you stuck with an exercise program? Maybe you need something besides the C25K. I am one of those that detested exercise. I never wanted to go for even a walk. I like going first thing in the morning--even in the dark. It's done and I forget it about it. Also, by getting up early it forces me to go to sleep early. Late night eating has been problematic for me in the past so it kills two birds with one stone.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Maybe think of the exercise time as your "me time." It's your time when you focus on yourself...improving yourself and getting healthier. If your husband is home at that time and doesn't want to go, and the gym is open, that seems like the best time to go. If he does want to go, then utilize the childcare! I don't have kids, but I had a mom that was unhappy with the way she was until the day she died (at the age of 55). Will they LOVE childcare at the gym? Probably not at first...but maybe after they get used to it.

But...They WILL love having their mom around, healthy and happy in the future, for sure.

Last edited by MindiV; 05-21-2009 at 09:32 AM.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

I think you should bite the bullet, get over the guilt -- YOU NEED TIME FOR YOURSELF -- put the kids in daycare at the gym, if they cry, put your ipod in and walk away....And get that good workout at the gym 2-3x/week, then the rest of the time do the c25k or your videos, when you can, in between the gym workouts... I doubt you'll get bored this way...

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress....

Last edited by Ilene; 05-21-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I agree with the other posters with getting it done in the morning. Once it's done and over with you'll feel better the rest of the day and probably more likely to eat better and stick to your plan.

Maybe you need to try different workout videos? You can check out the library, netflix or blockbuster to rent some out and see if there's any you might really like enough to stick with.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #9  
slowNsteady wins the race

S/C/G: 191/ticker/145

Height: 5'-4"

Would it be worth it to you to get some more home exercise equipment? Exercise bikes can be had for as little as $150 (what I paid for mine). I'm not sure what treadmills start at new, but they can often be found used on Craigslist.

Another idea is to get a 2-slot (tandem?) jogging stroller and take the kids jogging in the morning. I don't know how old/big your kids are. Maybe the oldest is big enough to ride alongside you on a bicycle? Training wheels?
rocketbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:35 PM   #10  
addicted.

thanks for you replies.

thighs be gone-in the past few years my exercise programs have lasted about a month (sometimes longer, like with C25K).

I do agree with everyone about the benefits of doing it early in the morning. I really can't see myself getting up around 4:00 though to actually be able to leave the house. The videos I have at home are Walk Away the Pounds, KettleBell, 30 Day Shred, and the Biggest Loser Cardio Max. Maybe I should do a different one every day? I dunno.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:44 PM   #11  
addicted.

rocketbunny- I agree I'd love to buy a treadmill for at home Dh says I don't need one because I can just go to the gym.

I guess I see his point

Oh and I have a 5yr old and 3yr old. I don't really know anything about jogging strollers. What ages do they usually go up to?

Last edited by Cinnamon; 05-21-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #12  

I've run in the morning once.

I've been running for about ten years, on-and-off.

Do it when it works for you, not when some expert or even some other person here says is best.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

Height: 5'1"

You caring for yourself and exercising is caring for your kids, by taking care of you and teaching them good habits. Get rid of the guilties. There is no reason you should feel guilty for exercise.
Ursula745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #14  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Does the 5 year old go to school or ride a bike (even with training wheels)?

I go running in the mornings with my 2 year old while my 5 year old is a pre-K. Longer/harder stuff I save for weekends when dh is around more.

You could even just go for walks with the 3 year old in the stroller and 5 year old on a bike. When you go to the park, play with the kids. Try and do the monkey bars. You'll be able to do them in a few weeks.

Can't you do exercise videos during the day, either during nap time or while the kids are playing in another room or with them?

ITA with the others who say that exercise is your me time. You need to take care of yourself too.

Last edited by Only Me; 05-23-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:58 AM   #15  
Breathe the pressure

S/C/G: 250/ticker/150

Height: 5' 9"

I agree with most of the other posts on here. Use exercise as your "me" time, that's what I do and it's the best way for me to tune out everything else that's going on in my life, just throw on my headphones and it's just me and my music! I think going to the gym is a great option to choose. You have a choice between exercise equipment and classes to mix things up so you don't get bored. I don't have kids but I would imagine after a few times of going to daycare they may get used to it hopfully, even if just for 1 hour. Don't feel guilty for leaving them there you are by no means abandoning them, think of it as mom needs to take care of herself so she can be an even better mom! Don't worry about working out around others, most people there are either 1) In super good shape and are to busy staring at themselves in the mirror lol! 2) Just as self conscious and worried as you are. or 3) yes they really are staring at you either because they are jealous that you are working hard or they're just creeps and that's their problem not yours. Hope that helps! Just do it!
GypsyLove is offline   Reply With Quote