Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-15-2009, 12:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/?/130

Height: 5'2

Question How much is too much?

Is it ok to work out for an hour a day 7 days a week or is that too much? I'm doing about 20 minutes on a stationary bike 14-16 mph, 20 minutes on an elliptical at 6 on both settings and I do another 10-20 on a different bike as a cool down. Is it okay for me to keep going at 7 days a week or is it in my best interest to skip a day a week? Help would be much appreciated!!!
hcred123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:17 PM   #2  

I don't know if that is too much. I usually PLAN to do it everyday but life causes me to only hit it 5-6 times per week.

Are you doing any weight training? I know with that type of exercise you are supposed to have a rest day inbetween but I'm not sure about cardio. Hopefully someone else will know.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I don't think an hour a day is too much--that's what I do--but I am concerned that you would be doing the exact same thing every day. This is a problem for several reasons: 1) You're likely to get bored with it really fast and it's going to be hard to motivate yourself to keep doing it, 2) You're body is going to adjust to the exercise you're doing and it just isn't going to be as effective, 3) You're using the same muscles over and over again with no break, which could lead to overuse injuries.

So I think it would be great if you added in some variety. Strength training three days a week instead of the cardio would be a great option. Building muscle will help you burn more calories and also help you look more toned.

Also, maybe try some different cardio exercises. Running is great cardio exercise. If you aren't ready to run yet, try walking at an incline, walking at a fast pace, or alternating between running for short spurts and walking. Maybe try yoga or pilates (either classes at your gym or a DVD) (not really cardio but still good for you). Try some dance classes or DVDs. Jumping rump. Going up and down stairs (or a stepmill if your gym has one). Swimming is also great cardio exercise.

I also think that if you aren't giving yourself a day off, it's worth giving yourself an easy day, just to give your body a break. I normally work out seven days week, but on Saturdays I swim, which is a pretty easy workout for me and also something that I really enjoy. By the time Saturday rolls around, I'm usually ready for something easy and enjoyable. So maybe one day a week, instead of doing the cardio machines, you could do something less intense, like taking a long walk or an easy yoga class, as your exercise.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Variety is the spice of life... Doing the same workout will, like Barbara said will bore you, have you reach a plateau quickly and cause overuse injury.

Have fun with your workouts, experiment, and most importantly do something you like...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #5  
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

Great advice Bluetoblue, as I was getting bored with the walking and little things I would do at home. Plus the weight was moving like it should!
mygritsconfessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 175/?/130

Height: 5'2

thanks everyone! I'll try to start adding more variety to my workout week!
hcred123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:26 AM   #7  
To fly like Nadia again

S/C/G: 242/ticker/115

Height: 5' 0.5"

I agree with what a lot of other people have said. Try and change it up and do different things so that your body doesn't adjust. The more you shock your system the more results you'll see. As for working out 7 days a week, I personally tend to do no more than 6 days because I like to give myself a rest so as not to overtax my body and make the time exercising or in the gym counterproductive because you don't want to be too run down and run the risk of getting sick or developing an overuse injury. But everyone has to make their own choices and if working out everday makes you feel good and works for you then by all means! But just give yourself a rest when you need it

Last edited by gymlee; 02-17-2009 at 12:27 AM. Reason: typo
gymlee is offline   Reply With Quote