Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #1  
What am I waiting for?

S/C/G: 315/254/160

Height: 5'6"

Default What can exercise do for you in the first month?

Looking for some advice and help. Its been too long since I have done any regular exercise. Today I finally came to reality and knew my weight loss has stalled for the past two months because I am relying on diet alone to lose weight.
I really dont know anything about what I should be doing for exercise any help would be wonderful.

My plan is
Sun: Walk 30min Resistance Training 20min
Mon: BL cardio DVD 30min
Tues: Walk 30min Resistance Training 20min
Wed: Yoga 30min Walk 30min
Thurs: Aerobics Class 50min Resistance Training 20min
Fri: Walk 30min
Sat. BL cardio DVD 30min

Does this look like a good start, or if not what can I do to improve this plan.

Also I am taking a trip 1st week of March I wonder what kind of results I might have with the program by then. such as lbs. inches.... clothing size

to give everyone an Idea I wear a 20/22 right now and I am 27 years old.

Thank you!
jasmine987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:25 PM   #2  

hey jasmine! congratulations on your success so far!!

im no expert, but i'll share with you what ive found to be true about weight loss and exercise

1. i stopped driving for the month of october and walked to work and school etc all month. probably around 4 to 5 miles a day at least, and more on the weekends. at this time i was casually following weight watchers. i wasnt perfectly on program every day, and had a few nights of drinking and junk food in there. and i didnt lose any weight all month. ive heard before that 80% of your weight loss is on your plate and 20% in your workout. no verification for that, but i just want to encourage you to continue your healthy eating while you undertake this new exercise plan! THATs the key i think!

2. it looks to me like you'll be burning ~2000 extra calories a week if you follow the plan youve laid out. not to mention the boost to your muscles and metabolism. and any number of changes can happen as a result of your increased activity. for me and my body i think i could expect a bump in weight loss over the course of the month (although def not the first week because i do retain water as i exercise) but not a HUGE bump... a few pounds maybe. and clearer skin, a clearer mind, and a better connection with my body.

3. i think your workouts sound reasonable! im a big believer in walking! its not the fastest route to total body fitness, but i think its an indisputably positive addition to eeeveryones life! BUT its hard for me to keep it going when i plan on daily exercise. for me it also totally derails me if i miss a day when ive planned on 8 a week. so thats something i would consider -- whether you realistically can get out there every day and move your body (NO doubt you CAN!) there are tons of faithful chickies who DO exercise 6-7 times a week, i just cannnoooot do that.

4. i think if youre faithful to your eating plan and follow the exercise program youve laid out you'll be well on your way out of the 250s by the time you leave for your trip in march! dunno about inches and clothing sizes because that is so personally dependent, but that resistance training will work wonders!!

GOOD LUCK!
partypantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Honestly it looks like a lot for someone that hasn't been exercising. I don't mean to discourage you but to go from 0 minutes to 60 minutes some days seems like a recipe for disappointment. Why don't you start with every other day for at least 30 minutes. See what your body allows you to do and go from there. Rest days are NOT a bad thing - one or two a week is perfectly fine. Our bodies need rest and time to repair and heal.
I'm glad you've decided to start working out, it's so good for us mentally and physically. Just do take care and don't set yourself up to be disappointed, overworked, hurt or discouraged.

Last edited by Fat Chick B Gone; 01-26-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:16 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I might have to agree with the above poster. Your plan sounds great...but you don't want to try to do too much too soon. You definately need rest days...and 60 minutes is a long time..when you haven't been working out in years. Even i don't like to do 60 minutes. I, unfortunately, only do 60 minutes at a time when i go to my gym class (and even then i sneak out for the last 10 minutes...shhhhh...lol.)

But if you could break that 60 minutes up to two 30 minute sessions thru out the day...that might would work.

Good luck. I really hope you find what works for you and definately keep coming here and asking questions. We might not have the right answers all the time...but you'll get plenty of support anyways. :-)
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #5  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

walk walk walk. simple steps if you drive to the shops park at the other end of the car park if you use the bus get off a stop before and walk. take the stairs instead of the lift. its not really exercise in the first month its just breaking the habit of being sedntary.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:30 PM   #6  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I agree with the 0-60 minutes plan possibly being a bit much as well...you want to build habits you KEEP...not just get the weight off for your trip.

Do the BL DVD's have resistance work in them as well? Or are they more cardio work?

Another thing to keep in mind is for resistance training - if you work a muscle you should give that muscle two days rest after you work it. On way to do this is to work upper body one day and lower the next day...I actually follow how Jillian Michaels does it, front and back days. Front day = shoulders chest, quads and triceps (actually the back of your upper arms but it make more sense as this is a pushing muscle) Back day - back, hamstrings, biceps and glutes. I do 4 days a week weight training (combined with cardio) and a couple days a week of pure cardio. One day is rest. You gotta have a rest day..you will have earned it. Jillian's book "Winning by Losing" has a 12 week workout schedule...and how to's and so on. I learned tons from it.

BTW - I started with just walking...but I wish I had done some resistance training earlier on.

So to you!!
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #7  
What am I waiting for?

S/C/G: 315/254/160

Height: 5'6"

Partypatalones- thank you so much for all your information it was very helpful to read! I hope that I can break this platueu and get out of the 260s soon!

slimmingsi Thank you... the past few weeks I have been walking to the stores near my house instead of driving. and just moving around a lot more at work etc.

chick in the hat I do intend to keep going after the trip my question was curiousity about what could I expect the first month of a program. not only weight loss but inches tone feeling etc.
Thank you for the tip of resistance I actually had no idea you needed 2 days rest. I am thinking I may need to see a trainer or buy a book to start as I have no idea how to work certain muscles.

fatchickbgone & lumifan4ever - You are right it might be be pushing to much to start but I want to try it. I may cut it down a bit to start such as the aerobics class ...I may be just to out of shape to join the class right now I may wait on that until spring.

Last edited by jasmine987; 01-28-2009 at 01:28 PM.
jasmine987 is offline   Reply With Quote