Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-14-2008, 11:56 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRn View Post
I did 6.1 miles today, it wasn't too bad except from miles 1.5-3 my right foot was going numb. This has happened to me in the past even while running on a treadmill so I don't think its the cold weather. Does this happen to anyone else?

JulieJ08: does the yoga help a lot with recovery after a run, is it something you would highly recommend?
I think the stretching does help a lot, plus I enjoy it. Some people just find it boring! It does take patience.

I'm pretty flexible now in the quads, hams and calves. I was terrible before, but I wasn't running then either, so I can't compare. I think in the yoga world, running is expected to ruin your yoga - tighten you up. But I've only become more flexible since I started running in August, quite a bit so. I don't think that's due to the running, but it didn't interfere with my yoga.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:15 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

So I've started running outside in the last few weeks and have had to buy new shoes. Prior to this I was running on a treadmill and my shoes were too small. For some reason I thought it was normal for runners to have black toes. Anyways I did 3.7 miles and my right big toenail fell off, somewhat traumatic experience. Luckily I'm wiser now and my current shoes are 1/2 a size bigger and have ample space for my toes. Turns out this happens a lot especially to women because we don't want to go up in shoe size. So I have one more big toenail to lose and my feet will no longer be a pedicurist's nightmare. For those who have issues surrounding feet (my best college friend is terrified of them)I apologize for posting but I just wanted to share in case someone else has been as "brilliant" as I have been.
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:21 PM   #18  

So I couldn't run my usual Monday morning, because it was pouring rain. But I'm proud I went out this morning even though it was the first time I noticed I could see my breath (it was cold!). I started out in jacket and gloves . I like running, but I'm happy that tomorrow morning it's time to stay in and do yoga

I feel like my pace and endurance are starting to pick up, which I'm very happy about. I'm not sure if it's because of the informal intervals I've started doing (I'm sure they're helping, but I haven't been doing them very long), or if it's just one of those times when training goes well!
Old 12-17-2008, 04:45 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 145/137/116

Wow Jackie - I can't believe you thought black toes were normal. That must have been incredibly painful! Im glad you have new shoes now

I am trying to motivate myself to go for a run now - its cold and very foggy outside and I'm happy & comfortable inside.. you know how it works. Ugh.

Does anybody have any recommendations for music I can listen to on my ipod whilst braving the cold? I always run better with a motivating tune. It can be anything from Britney's new Circus album to hip hop to trance... as long as it's upbeat!

I'll start. Today I am definitely going to listen to these two songs when I'm out there:

1. Annie - I know your girlfriend hates me
2. Janet Jackson - Feedback (some remix)

Ive heard these about 50x before though, so can't wait to hear what you all listen to!
neeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:24 AM   #20  

Height: 5'5"

Hello all. I introduced myself to this group a while ago but never really became a regular poster. I'd like to catch up and start posting more, if that's ok I've been pretty consistent with my running lately and just started training for a marathon, so I'm averaging 20-30 miles per week.

You cold weather runners have my sympathy! It snowed here this week and I've gotten out there for all of my runs but I FROZE on the last one.

JackieRn, the first thing I check if my feet are going numb is my shoelaces. Tight shoes always do that to me.

neeka, running in the fog is great! Almost like your own little bubble. I've been listening to a lot of pearl jam, u2, yeasayer and nas lately. My ipod is pretty crazy, but a few songs that get me started are-

Heart - Crazy on you
The kinks - A well respected man
Ludacris - One more drink (hilarious)

Last edited by JoyfulVegGirl; 12-17-2008 at 05:24 AM.
JoyfulVegGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:51 AM   #21  

Neeka: I know right, I used to work with a lady who ran and she was always losing toenails and I thought I guess thats what happens, um I guess not.

I'm not a Britney person but my sister swears by her stuff old and new when working out. Apparently, "Toxic" is highly motivational. I listen to a mix from Journey ("Don't stop believing" helps me), Weezer, Ingrid Michaelson, Coldplay ( running down hill listening to the last minute of Fix You is awesome), Seal, MIA (off beat sounds are entertaining), Beyonce (her dance stuff gets me moving), Elton John and many others. Oh and an on an embarrassing note that Whitney Houston song from the 1992 Olympics (I think) "One Moment in Time" does it for me. Overall, I like listening to my favorite songs especially on easy runs, it makes it easier to zone out.

JoyfulVegGirl: Thanks for the tip, I do think I tie my right shoe tighter than the left.

Last edited by JackieRn; 12-17-2008 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:33 AM   #22  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

You cold weather runners are really diligent -- my hat's off to you! My cold weather running experience is extremely limited ... to my annual Christmas pilgrimage to Mid-west-land and our occasional cold front where it drops down to 50 degrees.

I ran a small, local half marathon on Sunday morning. No bands, no cheering crowds, just a supported run through some relatively nice neighborhoods. A little boring, but a good excuse to burn off some pie. I finished in a little under 2:05, not my best time, but not bad considering the parties I attended on both Fri and Sat nights ... too much food and drinking and not enough sleep! A 13.1 mile run to clear out the cobwebs, just what the Dr. ordered! And, I got a finisher's medal which is all that really counts.

No more big events planned until January. But, I'll be up North over the holidays and found a 5K near my brother's house on the Saturday after Christmas. Sounds like fun, so maybe I'll find out what it's like to run in the cold after all! It's about 20 degrees and snowing there right now !!!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:38 AM   #23  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I have missed running yesterday and today due to weather--ICE! I will make the pact right now to do my in home running program for at least two miles today.

ETA: Currently I alternate between running intervals for three miles and jogging about 3 miles. I know I need to add something to my program but unsure what direction to go next.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 12-17-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:25 AM   #24  

I feel like in the interest of full disclosure I should point out that I'm talking about So Cal "freezing", i.e., an overnight low in the low 40s. I'm pretty sure a lot of you ladies are being far more brave than that!!!
Old 12-17-2008, 01:33 PM   #25  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Yesterday, in full guilt and feeling extra motivated I ran in SNOW! It was just some big fluffy bits which did turn to light rain and stopped mid-run.

When I was headed out I felt like it was in punishment, but I did change my thought direction into, "ok, your eating has gotten REALLY out of control. You are running right now so you can feel good about the accomplishment and also do something healthy for your body."

Perspective is everything, right?

Anway, this run (just a bit under 6miles) used to take me 80min. Yesterday it took me 63min.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:36 PM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBN View Post
You cold weather runners are really diligent -- my hat's off to you! My cold weather running experience is extremely limited ... to my annual Christmas pilgrimage to Mid-west-land and our occasional cold front where it drops down to 50 degrees.

I ran a small, local half marathon on Sunday morning. No bands, no cheering crowds, just a supported run through some relatively nice neighborhoods. A little boring, but a good excuse to burn off some pie. I finished in a little under 2:05, not my best time, but not bad considering the parties I attended on both Fri and Sat nights ... too much food and drinking and not enough sleep! A 13.1 mile run to clear out the cobwebs, just what the Dr. ordered! And, I got a finisher's medal which is all that really counts.

No more big events planned until January. But, I'll be up North over the holidays and found a 5K near my brother's house on the Saturday after Christmas. Sounds like fun, so maybe I'll find out what it's like to run in the cold after all! It's about 20 degrees and snowing there right now !!!
You ran in under 2:05 and that wasn't your best time, thats impressive. Maybe your name belongs somewhere on the top of this list of winter runners, 13.1 miles is no joke. Awesome achievement.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:07 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 213/127/154

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Hi everyone, I've been a bit busy so I haven't stopped by here, but I'm hoping to do better. We've had a lot of either very cold weather (30's) or else raining/snowing, or both. Running schedule is a little bouncy right now (such as today there was ice, so I did the elliptical and then a nice class of Aquafit at the fitness club).

I've run in 2 5K's in the last few weeks, one on Thanksgiving and one last weekend. The T'giving one is a neighborhood tradition with 700 people in it, and the course was a little hilly. The hard thing for me was the cold, 35 degrees, and it affected my breathing. I've been concentrating on breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth. Seems to make a big difference as when I do that, I have much less tightness and other asthma symptoms.

Anyway, turning 50 is a good thing, it's much easier to win awards, many less women running in this age group, not that I run that fast, but I'm always thrilled to get a medal. i was especially happy with this run, though my time was not great, 24:56, because a woman who is I think quite a bit better than I am, having seen her in other races, was behind me the whole way (I wondered why she hadn't passed me several times) and then at the end, she did pass me, but I re-passed and held her off. I felt great I could do that! My son came to watch us race, but, though he was right beside the finish line, never saw either my husband or me. I spotted him about 10 minutes later still staring at the finish. Wonder where he thought we were! Guess he had not woken up????

The race we did this weekend was in a VERY hilly park, and even colder, 30 degrees at 1 PM. Everyone so bundled up! The race was run by the YMCA and partially served as the season ending event for their Girls on the Run program, so there were 250 girls 8-15 or so, as well as all the rest of us. Many parents ran with their girls, even dads, which I thought was great, since in my era dads didn't take any girls' athletic events seriously. One dad had a t-shirt that said, "Claire is in front of me!" I thought, "go Claire!"

Anyway, about 700 people in this race too, and it made for a slow start, but I think that was good, since I got moving more slowly and that helped my breathing a lot. I did 26:13 which I thought was good for the HILLS and the gravel track and the COLD! And I felt good throughout the race. We got finisher medals too, and I got 2nd in my age group. I will say some of those girls were very fast, even some 8 years olds really doing well. I was glad to see it.

Otherwise I try to get in my runs when I can, and swim otherwise, or do as I did today. I did 8 miles on Monday and enjoyed it, it was a beautiful day. Hoping to get another run in on Friday, not tomorrow, as that is a swim day.
Pink Geranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:22 AM   #28  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Geranium View Post
Anyway, turning 50 is a good thing, it's much easier to win awards, many less women running in this age group, not that I run that fast, but I'm always thrilled to get a medal.
I'm with you -- I'm 49, and let me tell you, the 40-something women age group is TOUGH!! I've done races where I would have gotten an award in any ANY age group except my own!! I'm actually looking forward to turning 50 next September, so that I can move up into a new group, and maybe actually have a shot at placing in my age group occasionally. At least until the current crop of fast 40-somethings moves up with me.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:09 AM   #29  

I have a new way to estimate the temperature in the morning - how long it takes me to peel off my layers Today I unbuttoned my jacket at a 1/2 mile, shrugged it off my shoulders at about a mile, and finally took it (and my gloves) off at around 1 1/4 miles. The gloves went back on about a half mile later . Yeah, yeah, I know my "cold" isn't really "cold." But 38 degrees is cold enough for me!
Old 12-19-2008, 10:57 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 213/127/154

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

To MBN, I agree, I'm amazed at what these 40's year old women can do. Especially compared to the 20 and 30 groups - you are right, I could have gotten awards in some races in these age groups but was nowhere near it in the 40's. I'm kind of intrigued by how these things work out- such as, why are 40's so fast (some of them going 20 minutes!!! in a 5K and many in the 22 -23 minutes range) and where do they all go after they turn 50? Fall off the earth? Wear out and stop running? I can see that younger women often have a lot of life distractions to keep them from training - work, small kids, etc. By the 40's I think these diminish as far as keeping people from training or at least they did for me (since you can leave older kids home as opposed to a baby, work is maybe more flexible, etc.) but I think the 50's would be even better, so where did all these ladies go???

Well, this is just something that I've been wondering, since I've come back to exercise a bit later in life, and just when it seems so many are giving it up!

Raining/sleeting here, so I went to the gym today and did a 5K on the elliptical and then some treadmill stuff. It was a running day on my schedule, but the weather forced the adjustment. I swam twice yesterday so I skipped the pool - I do not want to push my shoulders just when they are doing so nicely. We are hoping to do a 5K on Sunday but looks like it may SNOW. If it does, we may just walk it instead, could be nice! That is, if they have the event.
Pink Geranium is offline   Reply With Quote