3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Running FAQs (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/151805-running-faqs.html)

Rochester 06-15-2010 07:37 AM

When is knee pain a concern?

On Sunday and today, my left knee really hurts after running. It feels hot and swollen (but looks fine) and hurts to bend and straighten. And a bag of frozen veggies feels ridiculously soothing! :) I just started C25K; today was day 7 of running. Do I need to worry? I love running; I don't want to stop. :(

Ilene 06-15-2010 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rochester (Post 3341855)
When is knee pain a concern?

On Sunday and today, my left knee really hurts after running. It feels hot and swollen (but looks fine) and hurts to bend and straighten. And a bag of frozen veggies feels ridiculously soothing! :) I just started C25K; today was day 7 of running. Do I need to worry? I love running; I don't want to stop. :(

Since it's only your day 7 of running it could just be an acclimatization period for you. Keep icing and resting it inbetween runs.

Do you have good shoes meant specifically for running? Was your gait analized at a running store?

Also as you lose weight you will have less pressure on your knees and you'll feel better.

If it does persist though, please get it checked :yes:

Rochester 06-15-2010 12:52 PM

Thanks Ilene!

I do have a good Nike running shoe, but I wasn't specifically analyzed when I purchased it. I plan to buy new shoes and go through the whole analysis process if I complete C25K.

I hope the pain is acclimation and nothing serious.

ErinRobles 06-19-2010 08:41 PM

Okay, my cw is 382, I have lost 103.. and I want to run. I have made some efforts at getting started and it is amazing. At my highest weight I could just barely move and now I can run (for no kind of distance, but its the principle that I can actually do it) I want to work up to a 5k... but I have a hold back... my stomach. It is way bouncier than my chest since it hangs so low and it rubs, makes embarassing noises, etc... Any ideas? Im thinking compression shorts or a girdle but I was hoping someone had some advice for me....

Another running wardrobe malfunction.. anyone have problems with supination? If so I would love to hear shoe recommendations.. besides orthotics which I have and am not so thrilled with.

Thanks!

Rochester 06-19-2010 08:59 PM

I wear a tight pair of Spandex shorts under my running shorts. Keeps everything nicely in place so I'm not distracted by flopping. :o :D

ErinRobles 06-20-2010 10:10 AM

I think I'm going to have to invest in a pair... cus it is definitely a distraction. :) Thanks for the input

LisaMarie71 06-20-2010 12:12 PM

Erin, I've had the same problem with my stomach, and I agree that wearing a super-tight pair of shorts under your clothes is the key. Sometimes I still have some bouncing but the shorts keep it contained as much as possible. Even when I lost weight down to 165 and was wearing size small running shorts, my stomach flopped around (extra skin) when I was running. As far as chafing goes, I use Bodyglide.

I don't have an answer for your supination question, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in! :)

MrsDawsondn 07-20-2010 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reenester (Post 2901164)
I have a question, I am 300 lbs, 5'8". Have started the slow intervals, walk/run. Got up to 7 min cumulative Tues, but the next morning had significant knee pain. Been running on concrete. (That's what the path in my park is..) Feel better now, but some people tell me I should just walk till I lose 100 lbs or so. I need to get some better running shoes for overpronators, and plan to run on grass from now on.

Weight is no reason not to run sis. I started running at 328. Yes I am a penguin and go very slow but I feel stronger when I run and I know my energy level has increased significantly. If your doctor has approved this kind of exercise I say go for it. Just remember to go at your own pace. Make your own benchmarks and you can do it. Also I find that running on concrete is very hard on me as well I like to run on gravel as it gives a little more bounce back with each step or even grass is a softer ground to run on as you plan to do.

MrsDawsondn 07-20-2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkroyer (Post 3313772)
this may sound weird, but lately ive been drinking a slim fast as my PRE work out nutrition....lots of carbs, some fat, and protein..in liquid form! Its perfect for me!

Hmm I may try that as lately I've been doing early morning runs and usually end up running to get out of the door in the mornings and missing breakfast and my appetite is unbelievable by 8-9am :o

dudesmom 07-25-2010 10:17 PM

I can't wait to start running again, but I've been so long without exercise that I am afraid to jump right into it. Someone asked about running barefoot, and I actually used to do that, but only inside my house (yes, I would run for exercise inside my house). I loved it, but would never ever do that outside.

Jlyne327 08-18-2010 12:31 AM

running with asthma??

Is there anyone out there that has asthma and runs? A few other ladies have talked about breathing issues but didn't mention that they have asthma. It's a little different when you have the weak lungs. I know it's possible, but I'm slightly concerned. The horror of the elementary mile run each year for gym class still haunts me. haha

I was thinking that I could start taking my controller medicine (Advair) regularly for a week and then start slowly incorporating the jogging/running. I usually never have a problem walking or being on the elliptical but the running always gets to me. I really want to try this to get my weight loss in gear. I don't have enough money for a gym membership so this would be a nice way of incorporating cardio.

jefferzzzz 10-08-2010 12:26 PM

What about proper running technique? I've tried videos on YouTube and they all contradict one another. Can someone please explain? Or have a link to a great resource (website, video, etc.)?

runhellokitty 10-18-2010 03:52 PM

About the knee pain...
do LEG LIFTS! You lay on your side and lift the top leg up, keeping it straight about 15 reps. There should be videos on YouTube about how to do this. I run marathons and this srsly helps. Most knee pain is due to weak hip muscles and leg lifts will help strengthen.
Another thing, the 10% rule. Do NOT increase your milage by more than 10% a week or you will likely develop some kind of pain/injury.

Running form, stand up straight, keep shoulders relaxed. The most important thing is when you swing your arms do not let them cross the centerline of your body. Your arms should pump forward to help 'propel' you forward. Side to side motion is just wasted energy, you will get tired easier.

heshleman 10-22-2010 10:13 AM

Rochester,

The knee pain could also be Runner's Knee which is super uncomfortable and can become something you should see a doctor about. Typically, it's overuse. Constantly making the same motion with your muscles can irritate them. This usually goes away within a week. However, it could mean misalignment of your knee and the weight and impact isn't being evenly distributed. The reason I've gotten this before is because I have flat feet. The arch is supposed to keep the muscles in your feet from over extending. In my case, the arch collapses on every step and it stretches the muscles throughout my knees/legs and they get irritated resulting in my knee killing me. I kind of summarized part of the page, but here is the link that I found:

webmd.com/pain-management/knee-pain/runners-knee

heshleman 10-22-2010 10:24 AM

Jlyne327:

I have asthma & attempt running at the gym. A piece of advice I'd been given before is to breath through your nose instead of through your mouth. It is difficult and takes a lot of practice. The reason being that in asthmatics, the temperature difference is what irritates the lungs. When you breath through your nose, the air temp equals itself to the same temp as what is in your lungs. When you breath through your mouth, there is little time given to equalize the temp to your lungs, resulting in constriction of the bronchials.

Also, in my own research, I've come across a breathing technique that is supposed to help tame asthma. It's called the Butekyo breathing technique. Again, this takes A LOT of practice as well but it's worth a shot.

Just remember to start out slow. Set a reasonable amount of time for yourself to run. Then slowly start to up that time a little. Or start setting a distance that you could run. Then slowly up that. It's all about getting your body used to running.

I get bored with running and started taking zumba classes as my aerobics as well. So the days I dont have zumba, I'll run on the treadmill.

I hope this was even the slightest helpful and good luck!