3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Running FAQs (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/151805-running-faqs.html)

nancylmrn 09-22-2009 11:02 PM

ok it has been a week or so since I posted but now have another questions. The new shoes seem to have taken care of the blister issue or I have develped a tougher skin. But I am not able to run everyother day sometimes it is 3 or 4 days in between...

I notice that the first 8-10 min I am breathing too fast almost to hyperventilate how do I stop that?? it is almost like I am too nervous I will start to walk/or slow run almost to a walk and catch my breath then start running again but it is frustrating then 12-15 minutes in i have the breathing ok but then the legs are yelling at me...is this normal when you start?

Ilene 09-22-2009 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancylmrn (Post 2938857)
ok it has been a week or so since I posted but now have another questions. The new shoes seem to have taken care of the blister issue or I have develped a tougher skin. But I am not able to run everyother day sometimes it is 3 or 4 days in between...

I notice that the first 8-10 min I am breathing too fast almost to hyperventilate how do I stop that?? it is almost like I am too nervous I will start to walk/or slow run almost to a walk and catch my breath then start running again but it is frustrating then 12-15 minutes in i have the breathing ok but then the legs are yelling at me...is this normal when you start?

Nancy, it is very normal to walk when you first start running and it's also ok to run every 3 days. The Couch to 5k (c25k) recommends that you warm up for 5 minutes jog for 1 minute then walk for 90 seconds the first week or two... Sounds like you're trying to go too fast too quickly... Take your time, you're not racing yet ;)

BettyBooty 09-25-2009 09:27 AM

Is there some kind of intermediate program - like a 1K to 5K? I am not starting from "couch", and I can keep up a pretty good pace for my 1.5 mile jog, except for the larger hills in my neighborhood.
I tried the C25K program but the first few weeks are not challenging enough for me.
Should I just skip ahead to somewhere in the middle?

midwife 09-25-2009 10:41 AM

Hi Betty!
I'm not an experts on the couch to 5K, but if you can jog 1.5 miles, you cna just add a little bit each time in a way that makes sense to you. A general rule of thumb is to increase your mileage no more than 10% a week. So if you are running 1.5 miles 3 days a week, that's 4.5 miles a week, so next week you could add .45 mile somewhere! You could add a little bit to each current run, or you could take the total mileage of 4.95 (yeesh, I'll just round it to 5) and break it into 4 runs. But I would say, if you can run 1.5, you can run 2 miles. So just increase it a little at a time each week and you'll be at 5K before you know it. Go slow with the increases, stretch well, hydrate, and you do have good shoes, right?

Good luck!

Ilene 09-29-2009 10:44 PM

Betty -- Definitely skip over the easier first weeks and start where it feels comfortable for you...

nancylmrn 09-29-2009 11:12 PM

I just wanted to share this past Sunday I was rested and felt good and went to the local track for a run.....OMG I went 4 miles count them 16 laps without stopping! After the first mile I just said to myself well ok I my legs feel fine my breathing is fine keep going...and so it went the only reason I stopped is because my feet felt really really hot...is that something I should be prepared for?

Ilene you are such a seasoned runner is this normal? Is this something I should expect? I was just so excited to reach my first goal of being able to complete a 5K (even if it was on a level track)

Dollar hunter 10-10-2009 01:04 PM

Hey i m a new here,and i found so many useful things and hope ll get in the future also.

Dragwah 12-04-2009 06:11 PM

Hey all,

um I'm a newbi at the running thing. Have tried it before and always had the same issue that nancylmm is having "I notice that I am breathing too fast almost to hyperventilate how do I stop that??". Currently I can't go more then a block and 1/2 before I can't breath, I can walk hours at a time, but its the breathing that's consistently scarring me from running. Any advice on regulating breathing?

btw, I don't have asthma (anymore), and my lungs are good. Is it just a matter of pushing through the (extreme)discomfort? or will I pass out?

Dragwah 12-04-2009 06:14 PM

btw, any one know how to find a good exercise/running/walking buddie. I live in RI in a very very small town, and don't know anyone here to exercise with. Anyone out there, are u in RI too, let me know!?

Ilene 12-04-2009 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragwah (Post 3034962)
Hey all,

um I'm a newbi at the running thing. Have tried it before and always had the same issue that nancylmm is having "I notice that I am breathing too fast almost to hyperventilate how do I stop that??". Currently I can't go more then a block and 1/2 before I can't breath, I can walk hours at a time, but its the breathing that's consistently scarring me from running. Any advice on regulating breathing?

btw, I don't have asthma (anymore), and my lungs are good. Is it just a matter of pushing through the (extreme)discomfort? or will I pass out?

Running takes so much more energy than walking, hence why it's so hard... My suggestion would be to start with a warm up of 5 mins of brisk walking, warm ups are extremely important, they they get the blood flowing to your muscles, get your lungs ready, lubricate your joints for the workout ahead. Then jog, don't run, for a minute, just a slow easy jog we always seem to want to sprint away I know I did. Then walk for a minute, do these intervals for 20 minutes, then cool down with a walk. Do this 3 times/week to start, every 2nd day... The next week increase your run to 1.5 mins... If you can't jog for the whole minute do 30 seconds to start, who really knows or cares, but you must do it gradually or you will cause your joints injury... Your lungs will get used to it in no time too. Read up on the Couch to 5k program...

hotstuff 01-02-2010 10:08 PM

Question: I like to run but it seems like long-distance runners don't carry water on their workouts. How do you do it?
Also: Do any of the advanced runners believe in those gel packs? I read an article somewhere long ago that honey and molasses got the job done just as well as those expensive packets. What's your take?

Ilene 01-03-2010 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotstuff (Post 3070466)
Question: I like to run but it seems like long-distance runners don't carry water on their workouts. How do you do it?
Also: Do any of the advanced runners believe in those gel packs? I read an article somewhere long ago that honey and molasses got the job done just as well as those expensive packets. What's your take?

During cooler weather if I go out for less than an hour I don't take water, in hot summer weather I do bring water I have a belt that holds a water bottle... I don't do more than 1 hour runs but the people I know who do bring water, longer than 1 hour they bring gels. Using gels, I've heard, is trial and error.

Ilene 01-08-2010 06:17 PM

Newyorkgal I moved your post to the Running Through January thread...Where you'll get more support, I hope you don't mind...

littlegreenhen 01-13-2010 07:28 AM

Newbie here, with a very basic question for the FAQ thread, after reading the "1000 miles in 2010" thread--
How do you all know exactly how far you have run?

To rephrase that, how would someone new to running know how far she has run? I guess if I had access to a car I could see how many miles it is to certain landmarks and base it on that, but I don't drive... so how would you recommend I figure it out? Someone in the "1000 miles" thread mentioned a GPS device but I think I'm too behind the times to own anything like that for at least another decade or two. :-o

Ilene 01-13-2010 09:12 AM

Firstly, :welcome: littlegreenhen...

There's a site called mapmyrun.com just put in your postal code or city and a map of your town/city will appear and off you go figuring out how far you've gone. If you time yourself, it can figure out how many calories you've burned, the pace, the speed you're going at, this site is what I used until recently when Santa bought me my GPS watch...