Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-15-2008, 09:14 PM   #1  
Erica

S/C/G: 265/Tracker/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Winter Exercise?

So I'm looking toward the future. (when it gets cold) I wanted to know what exercises you all do during Wintertime. I do not have a treadmill or any other home-gym machines as I am a young college student who can't afford anything very expensive.

I want to have a variation of exercises to do over the winter as well as things that will keep me entertained and interested. I do not want to get bored over the winter with exercising.

Help, please?
EricaBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:23 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Living in Northern Michigan, I move indoors for exercise in the winter (except for shoveling of course )

I use DVDS - dance, fitness ball, yoga, stretchie band, hand weights, WATP, Tae Bo, Zumba, etc.

You can use Fit.tv (if you have cable), Exercise.tv (free online), DVDs from your library, Netflix, or my favorite - I buy them online from half.com.

In any case dumbbells and stretchie bands are inexpensive. A fitness ball is also great if you have the room to store it.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 150/150/130

Height: 5'5"

Oh, to be a college student again! You're fortunate- you're young! Anything you do will make a difference! The muscles just seem to fall in line when you encourage them (ie - exercise )!

Even w/out DVDs or equipment you have all you need - you! Turn on some music!!!

Back in my poor college days, I did it all w/music! Try some exaggerated dance moves, incl. lunges and high knee -high kick steps (go ahead, pretend you're a Rockette!). Grab a couple text books and use them as hand weights. = = You can work your shoulders, abs, arms - all that stuff w/a couple of books! (Pushing works triceps; pulling works biceps.) Try "walking" across the floor on your butt . . . . . then do it backwards (harder!). For the calves, try standing on a step - on the balls of your feet - then raise and lower your body (firms on the way up, stretches on the way down!)

My thinking back then: If I was moving it, using it, I was firming it. For me, it worked.

Just think like a kid - it's all imagination! ( Maybe 20 butt clenches while you're brushing your teeth 20 X 4yrs = ) Just thinking of different ways to move while I did "normal" things kept me from getting bored; it was always a challenge to come up w/something!

And . . . if you have a computer, you have support! I'm new to 3FC, but I know they'll follow you - offering ideas and advice to keep that body moving!

Good Luck!!!
Rin Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:30 PM   #4  

Height: 5'9"

Living in CANADA, I feel your pain. The snow will be here soon enough and then it's almost impossible to walk outdoors and I also don't have a treadmile. I'm actually worried and mad.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:31 PM   #5  

Plus I'm not one for indoor exercises (like videos and stuff) That stuff bores me... I need to walk!!! walk walk walk!
Old 09-16-2008, 12:04 AM   #6  
Nice Pants

S/C/G: 224/202/199

Height: 5' 10.4239"

I don't have an actual reply, but was a bit frightened by these guys:

What are they?
hillsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:49 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 229/206/1??

Height: 5'2"

Maybe snow shoeing or something?? I am not to excited about the cold weather coming either but I am going to try to walk outside for as long as I can.

Do you have stairs in your dorm or anything? Maybe running up and down the stairs for 30 mins??

Good luck
AngelMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:41 PM   #8  
e32

S/C/G: 169/157/135

Height: 5'3"

i used to run stairs in my old apartment building last winter--even when i had the gym membership! it's nice to know that it was always an option. if dvds are boring and you want to walk, are there any malls or big buildings around that you could do some laps in? i know it sounds weird, but walkng is walking and if you can get your heart rate up, it doesn't really matter where you're doing it.

hope that helps and good luck!
ella
e32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/187/150

Height: 5'4"

Most post-secondary institutions have fitness rooms for student use...at least they do here in Canada. The college I went to actually had a huge gym with equipment/classes/pool and free membership with tuition. Have you looked into something at your school? A lot of other gyms offer student specials for memberships. I know you don't have a lot of money, but $20 a month should be doable (maybe babysit once a week or something to get the cash for it?).
carrie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:14 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsc View Post
I don't have an actual reply, but was a bit frightened by these guys:

What are they?

LMAO. That's awesome.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:35 PM   #11  
Getting back on track...

S/C/G: 195.2/see ticker/167

Height: 5' 8.75"

I have been thinking the same thing....last winter I didn't plan ahead, and the weather plus the holidays meant I went completely off plan and gained almost 10 lbs back by the end of January.

This year I have been trying to come up with ideas too. I have some videos which I like: Seane Corne's yoga, Biggest Loser workouts, and a weight-bearing strength workout. But I am with Luvja.....indoor workouts bore me fast!

So this year, I am thinking I might just bite the bullet and save up for some snowshoes. I love being outside in the winter, but if you don't have gear, there's nothing to do up here in Maine. L.L. Bean has some nice women's snowshoes for $89. That's a chunk of change for me, but if I save up for it I think it will be a worthy investment. My property (actually, my landlord's property) has a private 1/5 mile gravel track out back, and my thought is if I had snowshoes I could just keep up my walking routine around the track in the dead of winter....even if the snow is feet deep!

That's my plan, but we'll see if I actually get the snowshoes. It always seems like when I save up for something, something else major pops up like car repairs or pet health issues.
leela0730 is offline   Reply With Quote