Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-07-2008, 07:10 AM   #31  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viatre View Post
Well, today I ran two miles and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be! I went nice and slow (12:00 minute miles), but instead of running in little five minute segments like I normally do, I ran 25:00 minutes straight! I was pretty darn excited. Now I have seven/fifty done for September!

Awesome, way to go!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:57 AM   #32  
gracey

S/C/G: 242/172/168

Height: 5ft 11

hey weldone for everyone for doing so great. Im going for a run today with my boyf, and im gonna try a techinique i found on a website where we take it in turns to hold the pace and the lead so one is always pushing the other forward. I deffinetly need that because my own self determination can waver at times, when i know my body and mind are capable of good things :-)
freethetoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:32 PM   #33  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformer08 View Post
MBN -- I just noticed you are my height (go shorties!) and your starting weight is close to my current weight.

May I ask approximately how many calories a day you were eating when you were losing and how many you're eating now that you're maintaining? --If that's something you've kept track of?
Thank you!!
Transformer08 -- I didn't start counting calories until after I reached my goal weight. I lost weight by adjusting my diet incrementally -- losing the junk food, low fat, moderate carbs, more lean protein and veggies -- while at the same time increasing my activity level. I figure my maintenance level is around 1600-1700 calories on a normal day, but I'm fairly active. I allow somewhat more on my really long run days. If the scale starts to creep up, I drop back to 1200-1300 calories per day until I get back into my "window". Another factor is age --- I'm 48 (OK, 49 next week). Youngsters have the benefit of a higher metabolism!

I don't know if that helps ... It took me a whole year to lose that 40 pounds!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:12 PM   #34  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Hi gals! I did get that 6 miler in. And I was actually a little earlier than I expected . Good thing too, b/c this kid's Dad was driving off to work as I was rounding the bend. (kid was at my house already)

I love the idea of a regular super long run (10ish). For me, and many, it is a matter of making or having the time. Funny, I had considered this idea a few weeks ago when I unintentionally ran a 9er. What happened was that DH and I were on a family vacation. I was expecting less time for solo work outs. One day he offered to take children on to the lake if I wanted to run home from this outstandingly beautiful meadow hike we had been on. I thought the run seemed kinda long but not only did I rock it... I sprinted the last part..
Later on we clocked it. 9+. I was very pleased. Realized I'd feel so amazingly good if it could happen on a regular basis.

Alas, the school year has begun, I am increasing my work schedule.....

No, I am not excusing future failure to run. I am recognizing that I absolutely will and must factor running and exercise into my calendar.

have an easy Monday cool running chicks!
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:09 AM   #35  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

I have recently taken up jogging using "Couch to 5K". I enjoy it because it always feels like such an accomplishment after I finish. Two years ago walking was difficult...I could never have imagined then that I would be jogging today.

I finished the "Couch to 5K" program and am now able to run 40 minutes without stopping. This evening I started the program again at week 1 except I did an easy jog during the walking parts and sprinted during the jogging parts...it was easier than I thought it would be. I am trying to get some speed in because I want to try out for RCMP to become a police officer, and need to be able to run at least 1.5 miles in 12 minutes. I am quite a ways from that yet but I know I'll get there eventually!
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:55 AM   #36  
gracey

im sorting of tagging into this group because i try to run alot. i suppose some advice would be good.
at the moment i warm up, then go out a farily mix terrain course, hills, grass, pavement, park, ect. I try and keep a stready rythem most of the run, with the odd burst of a faster pace when a good song comes on my mp3.
but has anyone got any good tips for maintaining running at a good pace.
I think i really need to work on my breathing rythem. I try and match it to my pace, but then my music gets confussed with it and i cant keep it steady for very long.
How do you guys train yourself with your breathing.
My boyf came out with me and said i need to kee my head up more, rather then slouching when im tired. which im guessing is good advice.?

i can run about 3 miles (4-5k) in 30 mins, with a few sections of walking (no longer then 20-30secs) they are normally on very very steep hills where my legs are turned to jelly if i run up or down them.

id like to increase the mileage, but im guessing it all starts with breathing....any ideas?

Last edited by freethetoys; 09-08-2008 at 05:56 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:03 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 183/160/148

Height: 5'6"

Hi ya cool runners!
My first 5K is this Sunday. Getting excited/nervous already. My thought was to not run Friday and Saturday. I seem to have stronger runs when I rest for 2 days. I can definitely run the distance but I was hoping I would be faster and stronger by now. I think I started the c25K @13 weeks ago and in my delusional little mind I thought I would be running 5 miles by now. I don't feel as "ready" as I would like. I'd like to go and actually run the course once to feel a little more confident. Anyone have any tips on do's and don'ts? Can I take my ipod or is that something most people don't use? I'm running by myself and I thought it would help me keep my pace by being in my own little world.

Good luck getting to 1.5miles in 12 minutes Ookpik! I love the idea of redoing the program and challenging yourself.

Freethetoys, I'm still pretty new to this so I have no advice to offer but I wanted to say hi and congratulate you on your 3 mile runs. I have a very hard time with steep hills. I have arrhythmia and my heart beats normally when I'm exercising but when I do steep hills or steps it really messes with me. Dizzy, short of breath the whole bit. I'm envious when I see a strong runner going up a big hill. One day your legs will be less jellyish, good luck!
lene1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #38  
MBN

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethetoys View Post
id like to increase the mileage, but im guessing it all starts with breathing....any ideas?
I've never tried to regulate my breathing to any particular pattern ... I just use it more like a gauge for my effort level. If I'm breathing just a little hard, but can still reasonably carry on a conversation, then that's a great effort level for a longer, slower run, which is the majority of my training. When I do speed or hill workouts (intervals), that's a whole 'nother story, I pant like a puppy and sweat like another animal. It's GOOD to do short, intense intervals, that's how you build speed. But, that should constitute a smaller percentage of your training than the longer slower, comfortable runs.

Does that make sense? To run longer, you need to go slower, so you can do it longer. You mix in higher intensity intervals when you want to train to go faster. But when you're just starting out, the most important thing is to just get out there regularly and go!
Old 09-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 213/127/154

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

This is to lene1974, I may have said this before, so if I did, excuse my repetition! I think it is great that your first 5K is coming up and and that you are excited about it. It will be a lot of fun. Anyway, what I think I might have said before was my main thought when I did my first race (this last April). Someone told me it was really easy to get swept up in the rush from the start and to go too fast, then be too tired later on. I really agree with this, even now after doing a lot of 5K's this summer. At the beginning, start off strong but stay with your plan, don't feel that you have to keep up with the others around you and if they pass you, so what? I found a lot of people poop out after about 1/2 mile and I pass them again anyway. After about 1/2 mile I think you will settle in to your pace and know what to do.

And I think you will run faster than you think. The race is a lot different from a practice - you just seem to have strength and speed you did not know about. And when you get to the end and see that clock, you'll have that little extra that you also did not know was there, and speed right in.

Also, double knot your shoelaces.

I don't run with music ever, I have enough going on in my head and it bothers me to have any more stimulation, so I can't say about it in a race. My husband, though, does like the Ipod for practice but does not use it in a race. He says he likes to know where the others around him are, and that includes using his sense of hearing as well. (He has mentioned hearing someone's footsteps behind him and it has made him speed up!). I know I don't like running in a race with others using Ipods because often they seem to be oblivious to others around them and I've been bumped, cut into at corners, tried to pass and could not get their attention, etc. and then the person is startled, obviously did not know I was there, and says, "Oh, I'm sorry" which is nice, but I'd rather they were more aware. (Of course, plenty of people not wearing Ipods are just as vague, wandering all over the course, but at least they can hear me if I speak to them...usually...)

This is not a problem so much if the course is very open but I've done some on trails, narrow paths, etc., and it can be a pain. But, that's just my feeling.

I do wonder about those who have music and sing to it as they run. In the race. How can they have the energy? But that's off the topic.

I also try to remember in each race that it's not all about how fast I go. In every race there are things I do well and I pay attention to that, and try to learn from my mistakes. Above all, I always take a moment to be grateful that I'm there at all, since for so long there was absolutely no way I could have done a 1/10th of a K race. This helps to calm me down and get a good focus on just running, and letting it work out as it does.

Good luck! I am sure you will be very happy with your accomplishments!
Pink Geranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:00 PM   #40  
No description available.

In the last year I have gone from 12 minute miles to a 9 minute mile. Music can help if you get some with a great beat to drive your cadence (I like Avril Lavigne "Girlfriend", Pink's (?) You and Your Hand, and All-American Reject's Move Along for this purpose), but I credit my increase in speed to strength training and running sprints and hills. Seriously. I can run long and slow but once I started building strength and doing speed drills, I got faster. Think of form---bouncing, lifting your knees, powering up hills and recovering on downhills. Running hills has been huge for endurance, strength and speed. Running 40 yard dashes has helped me with my form. I always sprint the last part of my longer runs too. To run faster, run faster. It sounds strange but it worked for me.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #41  
gracey

thanks for the advice ladies, i have been going for intervals of faster pace in my slower run, although it would be nice to know how fast i go. guess i need to buy some gadget thing. I repeated my same journey today, did it much stronger then sunday, faster in places, harder in others, and i generally felt happier. I really had to urge myself on at times, really pushed through my own sence of ability but im so pleased i did it. :-D i think ill try a new route on thursday, shake things up a little.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:33 PM   #42  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
In the last year I have gone from 12 minute miles to a 9 minute mile. Music can help if you get some with a great beat to drive your cadence (I like Avril Lavigne "Girlfriend", Pink's (?) You and Your Hand, and All-American Reject's Move Along for this purpose), but I credit my increase in speed to strength training and running sprints and hills. Seriously. I can run long and slow but once I started building strength and doing speed drills, I got faster. Think of form---bouncing, lifting your knees, powering up hills and recovering on downhills. Running hills has been huge for endurance, strength and speed. Running 40 yard dashes has helped me with my form. I always sprint the last part of my longer runs too. To run faster, run faster. It sounds strange but it worked for me.
Here's my experience with the final leg sprint-- when I did that 9 mile run I felt great at the end, had huge surge of energy and really sprinted the last part of the run. Then I had me some craaaazzy shin splints. How do I sprint w/o hurtung myself? It it just cognizant light footedness?
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:06 AM   #43  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

Thanks Lene1974! I am hoping to be able to do the 12-minute 1.5 mile in about a year.

I wanted to join a community running group this evening but quickly realized they were too advanced for me. Also, they were in much better shape than me, so I figured I'd better go along at my own pace until I can run with others more comfortably. I parted ways with the group early on but continued with my own run, sprinting during the run parts and jogging during the walking parts. I felt a little discouraged because I thought I could handle it, but I spoke to others later who told me they can't run at all, so I felt better then. I really enjoy running though, and I am dripping with sweat but do I ever feel good afterward!

Last edited by Ookpik; 09-10-2008 at 01:07 AM.
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:29 AM   #44  
MBN

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
To run faster, run faster. It sounds strange but it worked for me.
I agree with you! Once you've got a good base, I think the only way to get faster is to run sprint intervals, hills, etc. I found that I got significantly faster last year by running a couple of 5K's ... the adrenaline of the 5K race pushed me to quicker times and it acted like a great speed workout! If you only train to go long and slow, then you'll only be able to go long and slow ...

But when you're first starting out, going slow is the best way to extend your distance and build endurance. That, and just getting out there consistently.

I had a great run this morning -- 50 min treadmill run at avg 6.2 mph pace. I've been struggling a bit this summer after donating blood at the end of May, taking several vacation weeks off running, and running in the sweltering Florida heat and humidity ... I've felt sloooooowww and draggy. But this run was a decently good tempo run for me and it felt GOOD. It's about time too, because the Florida racing season is coming right up and I've got big plans this year ....
Old 09-10-2008, 09:07 AM   #45  
No description available.

Hi Kitty, I'm pretty lucky that shin splints have not been a problem for me. They have plagued DD for about 7 months now. Icing, stretching, and exercises can help. Take one of your 4 year olds and have him stand on your feet. Raise your toes off the ground and lower them (kid riding on your feet) 10 times, 3 sets. Try to do them every other day to strengthen your anterior tibialis muscles. That is the exercise my PT recommended for my DD, but we use a 5 year old boy for it. Use what you got laying around the house.

ETA: When I sprint, I really focus on form. Lightfootedness, yes, but I think of it as bouncing, being a gazelle (in my own mind---sure!!), form, knees up.

Last edited by midwife; 09-10-2008 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote