Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-04-2008, 06:56 PM   #16  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I've been contemplating a road bike for a while...I'm holding back because of the cash involved in getting it. But if it's speed you want and you don't need sturdy, get a road bike. Nelie already said exactly what I was thinking about hybrids "Hybrids can handle a little bit of both but aren't necessarily great at one or the other. "

It's all about what you want to use it for primarily.

Happy shopping - Mazza!
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:46 PM   #17  
A New me! Right Now!

S/C/G: 218/198/145

Height: 5'1"

hey everyone. I found this thread by looking on the Calorie counter forums. I am def a newbie here and to cycling. I actually just started today. I had it in my head like when i was younger and good ride my bike from morning to night without a problem. boy that is not the case any longer and i am sure my weight does not help, but that is why i am starting to cycle in hte first place. I found that it is a good calorie burner and cardio work out. well i only made it through 35 minutes today, but i really do not feel discouraged about it. It was 35 good hard minutes in which when i returned i was dripping with sweat and i thought my legs had misteriously fallen off somewhere enroute. I think this may be a really good workout for me, i like the scenery and getting out of the house.
dlphnmomva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:14 PM   #18  
=D

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick_in_the_hat View Post

Happy shopping - Mazza!

Thanks, Chick in the Hat

I've been checking out all the mountain bikes at my local store - which happens to have a great range. I'm thinking of a Giant Avanti Black Thunder, or Boulder.

They have this one bike that attracted me instantly. A BEAUTIFUL red cycle.
I almost melted when I saw the price. AUS$7600.
....hrm. I think I'll stick with a Giant in my price range for now.

P.s. Welcome, Dlphnmomva!

Last edited by mazza; 09-04-2008 at 10:16 PM.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:03 AM   #19  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Welcome DolphinMom!

Biking is an excellent workout and the nice thing is that it can always stay challenging (even as you get stronger) by changing up distance, gearing, routes, speed, etc.

I've often thought about taking one of those biking tour vacations, like these: http://www.backroads.com/find/

What's cool is now they offer tours where you can bike, hike, raft, and kayak all in one tour, like this Alaska tour: http://www.backroads.com/trips/MALC/...ng-hiking-tour

How AWESOME does that sound? I highly recommend requesting a catalog from that Backroads site, it is very inspirational to flip through before going on your own bike rides and really makes you think about the interesting things you can do in your own local area!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #20  

Thanks for the links, Josephine!! That is nifty stuff.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:59 PM   #21  
A New me! Right Now!

S/C/G: 218/198/145

Height: 5'1"

Thanks for the welcome.
Those tips will come in handy. I would have loved to go cycling tonight but was unable to due to hurricane Hanna threatening to reek havoc on the area. It was rainin pretty hard here this afternoon, and tomoor is supposed to be even worse. Oh well, what can you do wih mother nature. I will be doing some Cardio and Pilates to keep me going.

Again, thank you for the support and advice. I will be sure to look the websites. I would love to take a trip white water rafting. that is my dream vacation sometime.
dlphnmomva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:38 PM   #22  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Hey all!!

Although yesterday was miserably windy and wet, today was a gorgeous day. In the morning, my husband and I went swimming and then since it was so nice, we decided to go biking. We went to a trail where we thought the roads were closed on weekends to cars but they weren't. I was a bit nervous riding so close to the edge of the road and having cars pass me, that we went on the paved path near the road for a nice ride. We then ended up exploring on a gravel path. I wasn't too fond of the gravel path due to my thin road bike tires. I now think I want a mountain bike too (oh god help me) but that will wait for a few years.

I did pretty well even with the nervous start and there were some muddy areas on the paved path (again not too fond with my road bike).
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:01 PM   #23  

Hey Nelie - craigslist.org. Find a cheap used bike like a mountain bike or even just a cruiser. Always handy to have an extra ride to drag a buddy along sometimes, too.

I had a fabulous ride today, if a bit hot by the end. I shoulda gotten outta the house sooner. :P I did like 20 miles in 1:15 hours. I was having fun finding a person to pass an then digging in until the job was done. People as pace cars. It feels good to pass way more people than pass you.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:51 AM   #24  
=D

Hey everyone =D

I spent yesterday with my Dad, for fathers day, and we went cycling. (I'm 17 and don't live with him so it's a semi-rare occurence).

I try as much as I can to get him out and exercising, and it's fun when we do stuff like that together.
We were at Centennial park, which is a large park in sydney - they have bike hire, tracks and all sorts of great facilities for families and sporting groups.

I had a blast, burnt a ton of calories and thought I'd share this since here is probably the most appropriate place =].

Hoping you are all well.

Seeya!
Mazza
Old 09-10-2008, 12:30 AM   #25  

Mazza - That's a better Father's Day gift than a tie for sure.

I had a great ride today - a little windy, but much cooler.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:21 AM   #26  
Just Me

Mazza - that sounds fun!

I got my bike fit adjusted on Monday after my bike got its first tuneup. Then on Monday, I did a workout on the trainer at home and it was much more comfortable and I was able to do half an hour without issue. I expect to do some home bike workout tonight as well.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:53 PM   #27  
=D

Hey everyone!

Nobody's posted in a while, so to start up conversation again:

How's the weather in everyone's parts?

Just thought i'd bring it up because spring has really just hit Sydney and these past few days have been hot and dry - a nice change from the seemingly endless rain.

I forgot how much I loved cycling in hot weather, even though its dry and I sweat like crazy.
Nevertheless, It's better than getting wet because of the rain and being more prone to bike accidents.

Speaking of accidents - I took a mighty fall the other day when I skidded on a bunch of leaves around the corner from my house as I was returning home. So, now I have this gross looking bruise with some grazed bloody bits. It looks like a work of art. Ew. ANYWAY - geez did I go off on a tangent.

Hoping to hear from you all soon..... =D
Mazza

Last edited by mazza; 09-15-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:47 PM   #28  
Just Me

Mazza - I love spring and i'm sure the warmth is welcomed although it can be annoying.

I've been preoccupied with other things so no biking. I've started running and I've been swimming. Its pretty hot here and I expect to bike on my trainer tomorrow (yeah I know exciting).
Old 09-15-2008, 11:48 PM   #29  
=D

Nelie - swimming sounds lovely - especially during hot weather. I'm with you on the trainer thing - they can be somewhat boring, but hey, it's always a great option to have, for when you can't actually get outside.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:35 AM   #30  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

It's HOT here. I so can't wait for the cooler weather which makes running and biking so much more pleasant!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote