Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-18-2008, 11:22 PM   #61  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

I had a great run tonight - must be repaired! Also updated my iPod so had some new music to listen to - always a plus! Did my 5k in 35:05...personal best time and my goal is to stay under 36 minutes through August.

Unfortunately...leaving out of town tomorrow morning at 5am - won't be back until Wednesday night - do have access to gym while out of town, so hope to make use of it a few nights.

Have a great weekend everyone and I'll check in when I get back.
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:28 AM   #62  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Good morning runners! My name is Matilda and I am new to this thread. I started the jog/walk program this past monday and I will also be doing the 9wk program. I took a jog this morning at 5:30 and that got my day started. I am looking forward to chatting with you all have a great day!
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:52 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 245/202/170

Height: 5'6"

Matilda WTG on starting running! I'm very firmly of the opinion that getting started during the first few weeks is the toughest so congrats on making the first step. Before you know it you'll be hooked!

So I've totally been a bum and not posted on this thread all month. Bad Kim.

Here's where I'm at right now: I'm 4 weeks from my half-marathon (yikes!) and still chugging along. I've been battling calf pain and shin splints which has really been frustrating and has caused me to miss a number of training days but I've got new shoes now and I got a total workover yesterday. I went to my chiropractor in the morning and in the afternoon I had the most intense massage of my life. I was seriously pulling out the childbirth relaxation and breathing techniques just to cope with the intensity, and I've got the bruises today to show for it! It was totally worth it though since my left calf and hamstrings have finally let go and I have no pain in there at all today. I'm so excited that I'm walking like a normal person tonight!

Tomorrow morning my LSD is 18K and I'm joining my clinic group for the first time on a long run. I figure it'll be good practice for race day but I'm nervous doing a long run with others. My running buddy who's in the class with me will be there and we're both quite slow so at least I'll have company way in the back! I've got a gel and the shot blocks to give me a boost along the way so hopefully I'll finish in a decent time. I'll let you all know how it goes!
KimProbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:17 AM   #64  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Kim,
Good luck on your run today!
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:35 AM   #65  
No description available.

Hey Kim,

Are you icing those shins? My DD's track season was wrecked by shin splints. Ice, ice, ice, stretch, stretch, stretch, strengthen, strengthen, strengthen.

For icing, she freezes water in dixie cups and rubs them over her shins. As the ice melts, she peels the cup back to access more ice.

For strengthening exercises, my 5 yo DS stands on my DD's feet and my DD lifts her toes off the ground, 3 sets of 15 reps every other day.

Good luck with your half marathon. I am planning on one in October. It will be my second one, but I weigh about 25 lbs less this time round.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:11 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 245/202/170

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
Hey Kim,

Are you icing those shins? My DD's track season was wrecked by shin splints. Ice, ice, ice, stretch, stretch, stretch, strengthen, strengthen, strengthen.

For icing, she freezes water in dixie cups and rubs them over her shins. As the ice melts, she peels the cup back to access more ice.

For strengthening exercises, my 5 yo DS stands on my DD's feet and my DD lifts her toes off the ground, 3 sets of 15 reps every other day.

Good luck with your half marathon. I am planning on one in October. It will be my second one, but I weigh about 25 lbs less this time round.
I've actually been making good use of ice baths. My kids think it's quite funny when Mom sits in the tub and screams. With my legs being the way they are I should probably be taking one after most runs, but often my evening runs are already pushing the kids' bedtime later and it just doesn't happen.

Good for you on heading into your second half marathon! I'm on the other side of things and I'm 40 lbs heavier this time around and it's sometimes frustrating to deal with the large impact this has on my running.

So my 18K yesterday was fantastic. My running buddy and I accidentally showed up 30 minutes early but better early than late! There were four of us including our clinic instructor and we went on a really nice route that kept us in the shade and took us through some nice trails in the woods. We actually ended up on a race course through part of it and it was kind of amusing because it was the half marathon I'd been thinking of doing but didn't think I'd be ready in time for.

I had my typical drop in enthusiasm around the 12K mark which was made worse by all the uphill parts right in that section but I pushed through with my running buddy literally pulling me along at one point. I hit another low at 14K but I switched my Garmin to the countdown mode and kept watching the numbers drop. By the time we finally made it to the end I did a mini-sprint of 10 meters or so and finished off feeling not too bad.

I experimented with the Cliff's Shot Blocks and I found that I really like them a lot more than the Gu I tried last week. The texture of the Gu was rather gaggy to me but the blocks were nice and chewy. I could have used more water because they left my mouth really sticky so I'll see if I can find a bigger water bottle for next week.

After getting back from my run yesterday I did a quick turnaround and showered and headed out the door to the waterslides with the family, despite feeling like I'd like to have a 5-hour nap! My legs held up really well on all the stairs but I was so so very ready for bed last night! Today is a well deserved rest day!!

Oh, and on the topic of legs my shin splints and lower legs didn't hurt at all. Very very happy about that. I'm planning on heading in for another massage in a couple of weeks just to maintain the looseness in my hamstrings and calves and hopefully I'll be set for the race.
KimProbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:00 AM   #67  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Thanks for the warm welcome Kim! I hope everyone is doing great today.
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:13 PM   #68  
Let's salsa!

Kim,
You are incredible. Congrats on the job well done.
I was laughing when I read "I had my typical drop in enthusiasm around the 12K mark" thinking I would be already DEAD at that point. LOL
I did 4.5 miles on the treadmill this morning. Not hot, but VERY humid here.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:35 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 193/182/147

Height: 5'8

Hi Ladies,

I want to start running again but I have no idea where to start. I used to really love running, but now I'm so out of shape that I dread even trying to get on the treadmill. Eventually I would love to run outside, but I think starting on the treadmill will be the best for my joints. Any how, any advice would be really great. I have read a lot of articles for "beginner runners" but I want your ladies advice.

Thanks!
cassangelidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #70  

Ok, So I ran when I got home...walk/run to be more accurate. 2 minute intervals, I did 4 walking and 3 running intervals...so it wasn't very long, but heck I did it right? Baby steps!!! Now lets see if I can do it tomorrow.

Go Runners!
Old 07-22-2008, 10:10 AM   #71  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

Did my 40 minutes on the treadmill this morning while watching "Lord of the Rings" (the extended version). I love watching movies that take my mind off what I'm doing.

I think I had runner's high during my work-out, since I was feeling that floaty sensation for a few minutes.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:39 AM   #72  
Let's salsa!

Hi cassangelidy,

I was going to say that when I started, I did not know anything (other than one has to start slowly and gradually build up, but that's just common sense) and anyway, I do like to do things my own way. And so I did - I plugged the treadmill and got on it and sweated it out. I experimented with speeds and incline and 6 months later, I run, albeit slowly, 3.2 miles in one stretch.

Then I saw your second post where you said you already started. That is great! Just stick to it, remain on the forum and you will soon improve. And don't worry about being out of shape - I started when I weighed 208 lbs and I am about the same height.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:26 PM   #73  

Hi Tomato!

It just seems like such a daunting thing to start...but I decided to just do what I can do and go for it. I used to be a body builder (figure/fitness) and I used to run all the time...but I was younger and had a LOT more energy then. So I know what to do...I'm just nervous. hahaha I sound like such a scardy cat! Yesterday I walked at 3.8mph and ran at 5.5mph. (in my 2 min intervals of course)...so I thought that was a good start. Tonight I'm going to remember to bring home my iPod and that will help me last longer.

Keep up the great work ladies. You inspire those around you!!
Old 07-22-2008, 04:48 PM   #74  
Let's salsa!

That was not a good start - that was an EXCELLENT start!
But, you may experience some tightness in your leg muscles if you do treadmill every day - I am running every other day and that's about as much as I can handle (although I stretch, stretch, stretch). But then again, I am a senior citizen (49).
Old 07-22-2008, 09:24 PM   #75  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

HI RUNNERS, Sorry I haven't posted much, but as you all know I injured my foot over the July 4th weekend trying to COMBINE a c25k with an actual 5k. It wasn't pretty.
Anyway, I went to the gym last night and jumped back in at week 3, which worked very well actually. I am now doing the c25k and just finishing by WALKING the rest of the 2 miles, (instead of repeating intervals like I was before).
So I am going a little lighter on myself this round - Josephine - if you could have witnessed the internal argument that I had with myself, you would be so proud. I seriously had to talk myself into walking out the 2 miles after - rather than going another running session, it was like this...
I really want to tear it up and run another round or two.
No, but remember what happened last time, you got hurt.
But that will slow my time like WAY down.
So what, don't be a hero, just be safe!!!
And I was =)~ LOL!
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote