Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-19-2008, 09:43 AM   #1  

Default Getting rid of belly fat.. is this enough

I have lost 20kg before. More than anything I want to get rid of my belly fat. I know the rules of eating 1200 - 1500 cals a day and doing aerobic exercise to burn fat for more than 20mins..to begin lipolysis. Also know the body takes fat from different areas you can't pin point spots.. but aerobi exercise burns off the layers.

I am currently doing 1hr of walking 5 days a week(minimum) on a treadmill (no elevation) at 5.2km per hr, with a heart rate of around 135 beats per minute (in my target zone for my age etc). My diet isn't ideal, but I'm deficient about 200 cals a day - I know it should be around a 500 cal deficient..but don't want to cut back alot as I know I'll lose interest otherwise, rather concentrate more on my exercise.

Anyway is this enough to lose belly fat, to start to really lose fat ? Or am I just warming up basically....

thanks

102kg/102kg/64kg

Last edited by nature09; 06-19-2008 at 09:46 AM.
nature09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:33 PM   #2  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

you will know your body better than anyone else. keep doing what you are doing and if it isn't working, then change it. i do have to say something about target heart rates though. If you can manage higher, then go for it. Don't be afraid to really push yourself.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:50 PM   #3  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

You should increase the incline at least to 1% - this is to simmulate outdoors conditions (wind, etc.). Believe me, you won't even notice. After a while, try going to 2%.
Unless this was a typo and you really mean 5.2 km per hour, it is only 3.2 mph. It is quite slow, and at that speed and with no incline, you are not burning too many calories. Your specs say you are 102 kg, that's not too bad at all, so you should be able to up the exercise a bit. Although give yourself time - maybe try increasing the speed by 0.1 mph each week - give yourself time to adjust.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:29 PM   #4  

My suggestions would be to increase the intensity of your treadmill workouts by increasing the incline and the speed .... You can do HIIT (high intensity interval training) this is when you warm up for 5 minutes, either walk very very fast for 1 minute, then rest for 1 minute and do this alternately for 20-30 minutes, then cool down for 5 minutes... you will have sweat more and burned more calories this way than a steady workout. You can also do the same workout but during the high intensity phase elevate the incline instead.

Before this HIIT do some weight training for 40 minutes or so. Weight training builds muscles, and muscles burn more calories at rest...

Hope this helps...

Also, keep your workouts new and different, change them every 4-6 weeks, this keeps your body guessing and burning more efficiently and it's just more fun for you because you don't get bored...
3fcuser1058250 is offline   Reply With Quote